2019 MD. MOREL SEASON

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by redfred, Mar 5, 2019.

1. gerbilrancher

gerbilrancher Morel Enthusiast

Well this is the area I'm checking- there's a big gradient of plant growth because to the left of the picture is the creek. As you walk farther away, it's still pretty bare on the ground

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

Looks like you have the right trees and plants in that area. If there's a creek nearby even better. Just have to keep checking. May pay off eventually it's still early so plenty of time. Supposed to be favorable weather for the next week so hopefully that will have them popping up soon. Good luck!

1 person likes this.

3. Fowlkiller

Fowlkiller Morel Enthusiast

On the boarrrrrd...just not yet in the pan. Found two very small greys and a black (first one). Southeast facing slope under a poplar that looked to be on its way out. There were also ash and dying elm in the area so I’m not exactly sure which tree these were associated though I’m liking the poplar. Fingers crossed they stay put and a few more pop over the next week so I can show a before and after. And in the pan shot!

Any of the veterans in here, with the weather we have on tap in the coming days (which looks prime) how long you think it’ll take these puppies to become big dogs? Or at least pan worthy.

Attached Files:

4. Kbshroom

Nice Fowlkiller. Looks like you're into them now. Hopefully you find lots more!

5. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

The may apples are up more then the ones I saw so you know you have a warm spot there..It looks like good weather in the forecast so keep checking. I know you will find them....

6. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

I would think you could wait 3 days with the weather in the forecast maybe more. you then start thinking who else might find them bugs or people...I'm sorry what were the GPS coordinates again ????? Was this Baltimore co.?

7. Kbshroom

Took a friend to try out hunting the morels. Found quite a few half frees and a few nice black ones. Let him keep them to eat. Did take a couple pics. Last pic are the ones I found yesterday on my way home after work. Seems they are growing in my early spots. Hoping to find some grey ones here soon. Going to check those spots hopefully on Sunday.
    IMG_1973.JPG IMG_1976.JPG IMG_1974.JPG

8. Trey Ridley

Trey Ridley Young Morel

New to the group, been lurking for a couple year though. Found this guy after work today. This is not an early spot, guess I got lucky

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    1 person likes this.
  9. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

Welcome Trey Ridley! Nice Find! What was that found on? Is that a wall, embankment or dam of some sort?

1 person likes this.
  10. Kbshroom

Welcome Trey and congrats on your find! That's a good pic. Good luck to ya this season

1 person likes this.
  11. Shroomie Chaser

Shroomie Chaser Morel Enthusiast

New to this board, but I've been hunting morels in Maryland for many years and I think this will be a good season!

Kbshroom and (deleted member) like this.
  12. StoobyTurlock

StoobyTurlock Morel Enthusiast

Looks like its on a gabion basket? Thats my guess

13. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

Hello & Welcome ShroomieChaser! Enjoy this Spring season & pick loads of Schroom!

14. furevertaxidermy

furevertaxidermy Morel Enthusiast

Hi new here been reading and learning lots.Been out this year quite a bit in what looks like really good spots.Havnt found any yet.from what im reading should be good any day now.

1 person likes this.
  15. furevertaxidermy

furevertaxidermy Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info Im from southern Md

1 person likes this.
  16. CatchinaBuzz

CatchinaBuzz Young Morel

Found yesterday by my dad, Skip in Crownsville. Still hoping to find my first one of the season!

Attached Files:

17. Kbshroom

Hello furevertaxidermy. Welcome aboard good luck to you this season!

18. Kbshroom

Hello Catchinabuzz. That's a nice one your Dad found. Can't wait to find some of those myself. Good luck to ya!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    1 person likes this.
  19. Kbshroom

Took a walk in a new area after work. Wasn't an easy spot to get to but I was rewarded with a few. Definitely will be back to check it a little better when I have more time. Hopefully there are more where they came from. Fingers crossed
    IMG_1981.JPG

20. gerbilrancher

gerbilrancher Morel Enthusiast

Yeah I think this weekend or a little bit after is going to be perfect. The soil was pretty dry when I was out. In Balt. Co, in Elkridge along Rockburn/Patapsco.

You're finding so many!! So tempted to drive back to Frederick now, lol. Unfortunately won't be there this weekend but hopefully after. Do you think they'll be out for a few more weeks or is it more of a just a week-long thing?

1 person likes this.