2019 MD. MOREL SEASON

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by redfred, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Shroomie Chaser

Shroomie Chaser Morel Enthusiast

Attached Files:

2. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

How many elm trees do you see?

1 person likes this.

3. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

A few black ones and half frees from yesterday. Couple of finds this evening after work. Small one had fallen over from the rain. Must've been up for a bit just wasn't very big.
    IMG_1988.JPG
    IMG_1991.JPG
    IMG_1994.JPG

3 people like this.
  4. Kbshroom

Todays finds from my Easter hunt. Unfortunately the bugs beat me to some of them. This spot normally doesn't produce anything until May. Hard to pin down exactly what's going on this year. Happy to find them and a beautiful afternoon to top it off. Happy Easter to all!
    IMG_1997.JPG
    IMG_1996.JPG
    IMG_1998.JPG

5. Green Stone

Green Stone Morel Enthusiast

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Out today as well. Still nothing but more false morels. Searching at elevation, 1200ft, and I think it's still too early up here. Hunting a southeast facing slope with a good amount of old elm close to a creek and a flood plain just off the creek with large poplars. What type of settings and elevations are you all finding them in early?

1 person likes this.
  6. redtop

redtop Morel Enthusiast

redfred, They are the perfect yellows to find, hope you find the mother load. Good luck in your hunt!

1 person likes this.
  7. Kbshroom

All the blacks and half frees 1000' and up mostly rocky terrain. The others all lowland creekbottoms. Couple around dead elm mostly poplar areas. I think higher areas may start to produce by this weekend imo. Good luck to you

1 person likes this.
  8. redfred

I think you may have the record for the false morels so congratulations. I look forward ( and I guess you do too) to the real deal for you. I been finding mine around 500ft. good luck..

9. Gapland Hunter

Gapland Hunter Young Morel

I have been finding yellows at about 400’ on a south west slope, but in the middle of the hill in the warm air belt. Did find some greys at the same time but on a eastern slope. All around a bunch of Poplars.

1 person likes this.
  10. redfred

What if I wait a couple of day to harvest??? hot spot 007.JPG this was Friday .... I"m the type of person to hedge my bet so I take 2.... Today... I think the bugs won this one.... should have taken 3????? milky 004.JPG

2 people like this.
  11. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Prob shoulda took em all the first visit, as they already look past prime. Sure fun to see & find anyhow.

1 person likes this.
  12. Gapland Hunter

Gapland Hunter Young Morel

It is hard for me to leave one behind. After I get done eating always wish I had a few more

13. redfred

Still did ok today milky 023.JPG

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  14. Kbshroom

That's more than ok in my book redfred. Nice haul! I left some grays behind a few days ago and I normally pick them all but hopefully they make out ok. They definitely appeared to have just popped. Going to check back in here in couple days guess I will find out.

1 person likes this.
  15. Kbshroom

Crazy was driving down a back road at work today. Noticed some dying ash trees. So i just had to pull over and check it out. Saw a mushroom from the truck right along the road. My first road shroom lol. Parked and ended up finding 8. Left 2 small yellows.
    IMG_2013.JPG
    Went out with a buddy got about a dozen yellows after work. Let him keep most he doesn't get to
    go often. Here's the 2 I kept.

IMG_2014.JPG

2 people like this.
  16. redfred

I found a few around dead ash today the sad thing is I can't find a live ash... milky 020.JPG

17. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Guess I better start paying attention to ash trees. I always key off of Elm, but unfortunately the Ash tree’s are dying off a lot from the ash borer.
    Is that what you’re seeing too?

Buckbead and (deleted member) like this.
  18. redfred

There is not a lot of ash near me and even fewer elm . I have not seen one ash this year with any life in it...I hate to think that someday we will have to show pictures of one to people and say "yep long ago they made baseball bats out of them"

Kbshroom likes this.
  19. Hotdealdave

Hotdealdave Young Morel

My first haul of Morels ever. They were found in Montgomery county yesterday. Also eaten there on a pizza yesterday.

Attached Files:

20. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

Nice Job @Hotdealdave! That Pie Looks Awesome! Thanks for sharing pics!