Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

101 - 120 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Out today as well. Still nothing but more false morels. Searching at elevation, 1200ft, and I think it's still too early up here. Hunting a southeast facing slope with a good amount of old elm close to a creek and a flood plain just off the creek with large poplars. What type of settings and elevations are you all finding them in early?

·
Registered
31 Posts
almost stayed home today but with rain coming and Easter coming time is short. There is a spot close to me that warms up fast a perfect little micro climate that I can walk to. I'm glad I went...
almost stayed home today but with rain coming and Easter coming time is short. There is a spot close to me that warms up fast a perfect little micro climate that I can walk to. I'm glad I went...
redfred, They are the perfect yellows to find, hope you find the mother load. Good luck in your hunt!

·
Registered
188 Posts
View attachment 15888 View attachment 15890 View attachment 15892 View attachment 15888 View attachment 15890 View attachment 15892 Out today as well. Still nothing but more false morels. Searching at elevation, 1200ft, and I think it's still too early up here. Hunting a southeast facing slope with a good amount of old elm close to a creek and a flood plain just off the creek with large poplars. What type of settings and elevations are you all finding them in early?
All the blacks and half frees 1000' and up mostly rocky terrain. The others all lowland creekbottoms. Couple around dead elm mostly poplar areas. I think higher areas may start to produce by this weekend imo. Good luck to you

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
View attachment 15888 View attachment 15890 View attachment 15892 View attachment 15888 View attachment 15890 View attachment 15892 Out today as well. Still nothing but more false morels. Searching at elevation, 1200ft, and I think it's still too early up here. Hunting a southeast facing slope with a good amount of old elm close to a creek and a flood plain just off the creek with large poplars. What type of settings and elevations are you all finding them in early?
I think you may have the record for the false morels so congratulations. I look forward ( and I guess you do too) to the real deal for you. I been finding mine around 500ft. good luck..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been finding yellows at about 400’ on a south west slope, but in the middle of the hill in the warm air belt. Did find some greys at the same time but on a eastern slope. All around a bunch of Poplars.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
What if I wait a couple of day to harvest???
hot spot 007.JPG
this was Friday .... I"m the type of person to hedge my bet so I take 2.... Today... I think the bugs won this one.... should have taken 3?????
milky 004.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Crazy was driving down a back road at work today. Noticed some dying ash trees. So i just had to pull over and check it out. Saw a mushroom from the truck right along the road. My first road shroom lol. Parked and ended up finding 8. Left 2 small yellows.
IMG_2013.JPG
Went out with a buddy got about a dozen yellows after work. Let him keep most he doesn't get to
go often. Here's the 2 I kept.

IMG_2014.JPG

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Crazy was driving down a back road at work today. Noticed some dying ash trees. So i just had to pull over and check it out. Saw a mushroom from the truck right along the road. My first road shroom lol. Parked and ended up finding 8. Left 2 small yellows.
View attachment 16114
Went out with a buddy got about a dozen yellows after work. Let him keep most he doesn't get to
go often. Here's the 2 I kept.

View attachment 16116
I found a few around dead ash today the sad thing is I can't find a live ash...
milky 020.JPG

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Guess I better start paying attention to ash trees. I always key off of Elm, but unfortunately the Ash tree’s are dying off a lot from the ash borer.
Is that what you’re seeing too?
There is not a lot of ash near me and even fewer elm . I have not seen one ash this year with any life in it...I hate to think that someday we will have to show pictures of one to people and say "yep long ago they made baseball bats out of them"

101 - 120 of 188 Posts