2019 MD. MOREL SEASON

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by redfred, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

Looks like a good day!

2. Kbshroom

Yeah Old Elm. Got hit hard around my area majority of them are dying off. Seem to find them on ones that the bark is just starting to deteriorate. Not the ones that are in real bad shape. Funny thing is I never find them around live ash trees? Never really looked until this year though mostly a poplar hunter

2 people like this.

3. Kbshroom

Had off work today so I hit a few spots. One new spot. Had a pretty good day.
    IMG_2020.JPG IMG_2027.JPG IMG_2025.JPG

silky, Inthewild, Fowlkiller and 3 others like this.
  4. Fowlkiller

Fowlkiller Morel Enthusiast

Looks like things are starting to finally ramp up. Found a dozen or so over the past two days and left a good bit out there grow up. The bigger greys in the pic were prime. Hoping for a few more like that before we start rolling.

PS - To you guys more to the western part of MD, do you like to target primarily dead/dying elms, ash, orchards, etc. or do you find all varieties around poplar? I went through the Gambrill SP and Frederick Forest area and saw Very few, if any elms. Saw a TON of maple and chestnut/ chinq oak and plenty of poplar but I wasnt seeing those bursting elm trees. Thinking I might’ve been up too high for the most part as I saw elm trees before I went up along farm fences and then again the lower I went in elevation. Just wondering what trees y’all focus on and which seem to have produced the best for you out there. Thanks and Happy Huntin!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  5. Fowlkiller

6. Kbshroom

Thanks! I mostly hunt poplars but have had some luck this year around dead ash. And here lately had most luck 500' and up range. My early spots for black ones 1000' and up they seem to produce till May most years but not as well later as early.

1 person likes this.
  7. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

A bunch of life has been happening to me and I have not been able to spend as much time in the woods as I would like.. Lately when I have gotten out this is what I have seen..They are out there but what I've found has been small and spread out no great big flushes but ones and twos here and there. I think this rain should help and if anyone can get out this weekend it may be a good one... I hope to hear from our new morel hunters and wish the best for all let us know how it is going..They are still out there waiting to be found and if it can't be me I hope it's one of you.. good luck to all b d 003.JPG

3 people like this.
  8. gerbilrancher

gerbilrancher Morel Enthusiast

Okay. Today is the day I'm gonna find a goddarn mushroom. I'm back in Frederick for the weekend. I know to stay out of Gambrill, especially the lookout parts, because it's way too high but I have some other ideas

Kbshroom and (deleted member) like this.
  9. gerbilrancher

gerbilrancher Morel Enthusiast

SCOREEEEEE!!!!!! I'm so happy haha. My first find. I ran into a stranger and together we found about double what I have in the pic. Frederick county.

Attached Files:

silky, Kbshroom, Inthewild and 5 others like this.
  10. redfred

I’m so happy for you congratulations.... See how easy they are to find and I’ll bet you are ready to find some more...so what’s for dinner???

11. Kbshroom

Awesome way to go! You put in the time and it paid off. Hopefully those are the first of many this year. Nice pics as well.

1 person likes this.
  12. Fowlkiller

Redfred, I have been seeing a lot of the same over the last couple weeks and just wrote it off as it being too early in a few of the areas I’ve been walking. Until yesterday we walked up on a poplar recently snapped in half by a lightning strike, producing this flush of yellows... We were actually a few days late as there were about half a dozen or so that had come and gone. Still though a nice haul for one tree...

And as a bonus find, we found these two getting it on just down the hill... Made me laugh harder than finding the flush!
    66D41440-9C8C-41D1-B2A2-7AA06E52D35B.jpeg 8EAF8DA6-3D4E-4C1F-BFD1-A7CF87531256.png C121F0A2-A701-4E89-BAA1-BB457796A9E4.png

silky, Kbshroom, Inthewild and 3 others like this.
  13. redfred

pizza back 008.JPG Fowlkiller, I hope you did not scare that lady turtle. I'm still seeing the same and getting mixed messages from ground vegetation as to early or late . Time will tell.. good luck all....

Kbshroom and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Kbshroom

Had to work most of the weekend but did manage to get out for a couple short walks. I would have to agree with you redfred hard to tell exactly whats going on this year. Alot of groundcover early but not sure if that was from the rain or what. One late spot I checked had alot of little ones like it was early but quite a few dried up ones as well. Take what I can get and keep checking. Weather permitting should still be some coming up imo. Keep my fingers crossed. Good luck all keep on pickin!
    IMG_2039.JPG IMG_2042.JPG IMG_2041.JPG
    IMG_2035.JPG

15. patapsco mike

patapsco mike Morel Enthusiast

Not too bad for a morning hunt! Four dozen exactly.

[​IMG]

Fowlkiller, Joshm22, silky and 6 others like this.
  16. Kbshroom

1 person likes this.
  17. Shroomie Chaser

Shroomie Chaser Morel Enthusiast

It's been a strange and slow year in these parts, but I did come up with these today.

Attached Files:

silky, Kbshroom, Inthewild and 3 others like this.
  18. furevertaxidermy

furevertaxidermy Morel Enthusiast

This is my first year looking for morels.Ive started looking 6th or april.I live in southern md.Ive hunted deer all my life so being in the woods and identifying trees are easy for me.been learning were to look and what kind of trees for over a year.I been looking in spots that look to be ideal. Spots close to creeks Lots of huge poplars ash and elm trees both living and dyeing.I go about every 4 to 5 days and look.I probably have walked easy 25 miles of woods.Havent even seen a morel yet is it posable there not up in my area or are they just that hard to find???

1 person likes this.
  19. furevertaxidermy

furevertaxidermy Morel Enthusiast

I can pic them out pretty quick in pics so I'm pretty sure Im notover looking them

20. Kbshroom

Imo it's possible that they haven't grown in your area yet. But I would think that you would have atleast found one by now. Maybe the area you're in just doesn't produce morels. Not all areas that look prime are. The more different areas you check the better. Once you find one try to remember the elevation, type of trees and vegetation, also time of year. Then check areas that are comparable to that at the same time from year to year. Sounds to me like you're looking in the right areas. Just keep putting in the miles and I think you will eventually be successful. Good luck and hopefully you find a big ol patch!