2019 MD. MOREL SEASON

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by redfred, Mar 5, 2019.

1. furevertaxidermy

furevertaxidermy Morel Enthusiast

going to go fri to a different part of the county and look.we haven't had much for rain here in the past 3 or 4 weeks.one or 2 little rains but not much.other then the low spots next to creeks woods and leaves seem really dry.

Kbshroom and (deleted member) like this.
  2. silky

silky Morel Enthusiast

woahhh! Am i too late? Amazing finds everybody!

All i found was this, and with my bad vision my heart skipped a beat for a second thinking i found a jackpot

Should i be moving leaves around or do they mostly grow in grassy areas? I must be looking in the wrong places, lol!

Attached Files:

3. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

Yeah if it's been dry like that probably isn't helping you. Hopefully you get some rain between now and then. If not I would try to stay in areas that hold some moisture in the ground like shaded areas or close to water.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kbshroom

That may have fooled me. Definitely looks like a big patch at first glance. They should pop up thru the leaves but have seen them grow in grassy areas as well. I generally hunt them in wooded areas so I mostly find them coming up thru the leaves. Good luck in your hunt!

silky and (deleted member) like this.
  5. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

It may be time to start looking in some cooler spots . They will find there way threw the leaves for the most part but they do like to hide.

silky likes this.
  6. Green Stone

Green Stone Morel Enthusiast

image.jpg image.jpg Found our first one of the year! Very young and fresh. Think they just started to come up where we hunt. Not able to find even a second one and we hunt this area every few days. Have been noticing a lot of white mold/fungus spots on the ground in that area, might be the spots that they come up from. Left it and will check the area again shortly.

Kbshroom, beagleboy, silky and 2 others like this.
  7. furevertaxidermy

Couldn't wait till Fri hit a spot yesterday on the way home.still nothing.Im going to try a different spot this weekend.Man morels better be good all this walking.Havnt even eaten one yet.

8. redfred

pk-bd 001.JPG I gave myself today to hunt some morels. I was out a little early and went to a spot I was at a week ago this time as last time ZERO.... This spot has been good to me before but not this year. I saw lots of showy orchids and most times that means I find yellows but nothing.. So instead of heading home I stop at another spot not much at first but as I headed towards the thicker part of the woods I started to see some. Very few were close to another most were at least 10' apart but little under growth made them easy to spot. Then the rain (really thunder) came and ran me out. I need to get back..Still some hope all. good luck.. pk-bd 008.JPG

silky, Kbshroom, beagleboy and 2 others like this.
  9. Kbshroom

Hit my late spot again for a quick check at lunch today. Took a half hour walk and did pretty good. Looks promising for the weekend didn't hit what's usually the best area today.
    IMG_2055.JPG IMG_2057.JPG IMG_2056.JPG

10. Kbshroom

Also got these after work a couple evenings. Two different spots. All of them up a little higher than I was finding them in the same areas earlier.
    IMG_2048.JPG IMG_2050.JPG

11. furevertaxidermy

we got a lot of rain last night should I go out and look today or should I give it a day or 2

12. redfred

If you can safely go today between rains I would .It looks like rain all weekend. Good luck..

13. Kbshroom

I have to agree with redfred. If you can get out there wouldn't hurt

14. furevertaxidermy

back in March a bought 2 bags of morel spores.mixed them in about 20 buckets of water and through them out in the woods behind my house all over the place.Will take a year or so to see if they grow but I will let you all no if it works. Probably will buy a couple more in the fall and do it again. Tried to throw them under poplars elm and ash trees mostly. Also put them in some unusual place well see what happens.

Kbshroom, Gibz and (deleted member) like this.
  15. silky

silky Morel Enthusiast

Went looking yesterday and found nothing but a huge patch of false morels. are they a good indicator Im looking in the right place? All conditions seemed right (right trees, good drainage, elevation etc)

Im under the impression everywhere i look, someone else got to them before me lol. That’s life .....

My goal is still to find just 1 to see what all the fuss is about!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  16. redfred

I'm rooting for you to find more then one....There is always a chance that someone got there first. We all live with that . Would you be happy if you found a bunch of morel stumps? At least you would know you are looking in the right spot but they may be harder to find then morels... I think you are in the right areas and the false morels do kind of tell you that.. I usually find them early in the season and I'm not looking for false ones.. The very best of luck to you......PERSEVERANCE

17. redfred

So I go back to the spot the rain ran me out of to pick up where I stopped. I did just that thinking the rain could do the same anytime and the results were the same finding them here and there spread out kinda far..Then i may find 3 or 4 a little closer . I had to stop and think about a search pattern because I was just walking myself in circles. I got the pattern figured out and went on to my goal of 2 big poplars together and a hill I knew I had found them before on. It was around 11:30 when I found my way into the woods and it was around 3:30 when I got to the 2 trees I was looking for. If I had walked straight to these trees it would not take me 20 min. It was just a big kid Easter egg hunt and I had so much fun..I think I found around 40 and a shed .Now I know I have found more in a day and know most people would think I'm nuts (and are likely right) but I hope for more days like this. The icing on the cake how about finding a fox in the woods ... bd 2 007.JPG bd 2 011.JPG bd 2 006.JPG

18. Kbshroom

Nice awesome finds redfred. That's a great pic of that young fox. No pic of the shed? Sorry had to ask I like shed hunting about as much as mushroom hunting lol. And no you aren't crazy those are the days we all look forward to. What keeps us going back time and time again successful or not. Congrats and keep on picking!

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    1 person likes this.
  19. redfred

I figured I may find some like minds here. The fox was one of 3 they were all in a line frolicking towards me and I may a noise just to let them know I was there then I grabbed the camera. I should have grab the camera first. The 2 siblings just stop and looked at me the brave one (or foolish) just kept coming. A little later I think I found there den... bd 2 013.JPG bd 2 005.JPG bd 2 008.JPG