2019 MD. MOREL SEASON

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by redfred, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

Nice! Great day in the outdoors there. Definitely looks like there den to me. Always enjoy seeing the pics thanks for sharing.

1 person likes this.
  2. patapsco mike

patapsco mike Morel Enthusiast

Morels are done for me for the year. Might still be a few around but with the rain and warmth we've had my spots are too overgrown to find whatever might still be around. I did find this while walking though...

3. Joshm22

Joshm22 Morel Enthusiast

Hello, I recently started taking a interest in morels. Today when I was out in the woods I found a patch of them and they are pretty big. I only picked one to see if it was hollow which it was. I left the rest out there for now to keep em fresh. How would I go about selling some of them, should I pick them now, or leave them growing til I find a buyer.

1 person likes this.
  4. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

I love the slow pan to the snake....cornsnake ???? I wonder how many peoples season would be over if this was the first thing found????

Kbshroom likes this.
  5. redfred

They will keep better in a refrigerator....Yours,mine or somebody elses ...go get them...

6. Shroomie Chaser

Shroomie Chaser Morel Enthusiast

Agree, definitely pick them now. If the slugs don't get them, rot will. They will keep for a few days in the fridge in a slightly open plastic bag.

Kbshroom and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Joshm22

Joshm22 Morel Enthusiast

Ok Thankyou for your helps. Imma wait for this rain storm to stop and I’ll go snatch em

1 person likes this.
  8. Joshm22

Joshm22 Morel Enthusiast

Picked for around a hour. My first morel hunt. Is this a good ammount for my first time.

Attached Files:

9. pauliep

pauliep Morel Enthusiast

Looks like a copperhead to me.
    Reminds me of hunting in 2013 down here in Virginia. Season went really late that year, best year I've had. Was picking them all the way up to May 18th, when I almost stepped on a Timber Rattler about 2.5hrs from my car up on the mountain. Surely could have gotten another couple days picking in, but I'd had more than enough that year and hearing that rattle.....did..something to me.

Kbshroom and (deleted member) like this.
  10. pauliep

pauliep Morel Enthusiast

Not bad at all. Good thing you got them when you did, those are showing their age. Looks like they've already spored out.

1 person likes this.
  11. Joshm22

Joshm22 Morel Enthusiast

Are they still good to eat

12. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

Nice haul! I would be happy with that any day. And yeah they are fine to eat. All the rain doesn't help them out when they are that size. Definitely good you got to them. Congrats and enjoy

1 person likes this.
  13. Joshm22

Joshm22 Morel Enthusiast

2 people like this.
  14. Joshm22

Joshm22 Morel Enthusiast

How should I store them, should i eat the right away. Should I clean them before storing?

1 person likes this.
  15. patapsco mike

patapsco mike Morel Enthusiast

Thats a copperhead. A big one too.

2 people like this.
  16. redfred

My best advice would be this. Eat one ... maybe sauté in a little butter with some salt and pepper or find a good recipe of your own...I don’t think you will ever get rich selling morels but I’ve been wrong many times.. I do think if you do try one or share with friends or family you may find a passion that may enrich you in another way ... in other words welcome to my addiction..... I think I’m starting to sound like a drug dealer..... That’s right we don’t take checks..... good luck..

17. Joshm22

Joshm22 Morel Enthusiast

Haha, thankyou

1 person likes this.
  18. redfred

Never seen one that big .. I need to see the head .... In your spare time do ya think you could go back and get a photo .... I will take your word for it and I would never ask for GPS coordinates to anyone’s spot I may ask to avoid that spot...what a great guard...hum...

1 person likes this.
  19. redfred

This is what I do split them in half from head to toe place them in a bowl sprinkle a little salt on top then fill the bowl with water. Let rest for 15 -20 min. Toss that rinse water outside then rinse 2or 3 times with water shake out all the water you can cover with a dry paper towel turn the bowl upside down to just dampen the towel then place in the fridge. You want no standing water in the bowl but keep the towel damp... depending on the age of the shroom to start at least 3days maybe 7...good luck..

Kbshroom and Joshm22 like this.
  20. Shroomie Chaser

Shroomie Chaser Morel Enthusiast

I agree that they are showing their age. I would wash them thoroughly, removing any darkened areas and cook all of them now. You'll see that they shrink a whole lot when cooked. Once cooked, they'll last for a while in the fridge.

Joshm22 and (deleted member) like this.