Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

2019 Merkel Season

37K views 187 replies 35 participants last post by  Patricia Mitchell 
#1 ·
Is it too early to be thinking about Merkels???

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Thank you my friend I've been trying to find out if they grow around here but I cant find anyone who even knew what I was talking about.ive li e in the state for 4 yrs now n haven't been out looking cause I didn't know if they grew around here or not but I'll definitely be looking this year

#11 ·
It's all about learning trees. My best luck has been north/south/east facing hills, preferably along the bottoms next to rivers and creeks in mostly pure poplar stands. The poplars I'm talking about are Tulip Poplars (or Tulip Trees, etc.) and are very common and easily identified.

Other trees to look for are Ash, which look very much like Poplars except for the leaves, and dead/dying Elms. Elms work wonders for morel hunters in the midwest, with some having pounds and pounds growing under and around a single tree. While not as common (at least in my experience) in Virginia, there are still Elms here and there, and I was lucky enough to come across 2 standing dead ones a few years ago that had lots of big beautiful blonde morels under them. Unfortunately I only got to pick there once as the property was sold later that year.

Anyway, another tree to look out for is the Redbud tree. They're common in suburban yards as ornamentals, but also grow wild (at least further west). They're easily identified in spring by the bright purplish/pinkish color of their buds, and when you see this it's a good indicator that morels in that area are up or on their way up. I haven't seen morels growing specifically around Redbuds, they're only used as an indicator for the season. Another indicator is the Tulip Poplar I mentioned. When their leaves are about the size of a quarter it's typically prime morel season. Living in the foothills of the Blue Ridge, I can look at a mountainside and when I see that bright yellow/green of young poplar leaves streaking across it, I know it's time.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions, and Happy Hunting!

#10 ·
I hope all this rain will make a season like last year.
You have a good one last year? Mine was pretty lacking. This will be my 11th year hunting, and the past couple years definitely haven't been my best.

I have early spots in lower elevations and late spots up higher. My best hauls (by far) have come from the late spots, most notably '09 and '13. The past 2 years were only kind to my early spots so I barely got 5lbs total each year, whereas on a good year like 2013 I've pulled over 40lbs out of my later spots. I'm hoping this year will be another 2013. I feel like it's due!

Happy Hunting!

#12 ·
You have a good one last year? Mine was pretty lacking. This will be my 11th year hunting, and the past couple years definitely haven't been my best.
I have done well the last several years. 2018 was a great year. I put in some miles and found a few new spots that really produced. I noticed that my traditional spots had petered out from over picking. Too many people know about them.

Markandkecia, morels come up in the same place every year. Since you have moved to a new area the only thing to do is get out and walk, put in some miles. Don't discount any area. I have found them in all types of woods, around any type of trees, even out in grassy fields. The different types such as black, grey/green and white typically grow in different areas and different times of the season. My area starts with blacks, any time now with this warm weather, followed by the other types. You may walk thru a area for the next 3 weeks and find nothing then say 3rd week of April, BOOM, merkels everywhere. Once you start finding them somewhere, come back every year.

#27 ·
Ive been casually looking while scouting new areas that have poplars and haven't seen any. I'm guessing next week would be the earliest since night temps have hovered around freezing and will for a few more days. we have some high 60s days and low 50s/high 40s nights coming this weekend so maybe that will be enough . Fingers Crossed

#29 ·
Hey all, I'm up here in Central NH. Still 2 feet of snow in the ground. Our window is middle May to June. LOL
I'm driving to Florida 4/17-4/20 via I-81. Would love to hook up with a local and forage just a few to bring to my family in Fl. Probably the only person you might even consider as a tagalong seeing my home is over a dozen hours away. I'll bring some dried black trumpet mushrooms and a pint of our Maple Syrup as a gesture of appreciation. Thanks

#31 ·
Hey all, I'm up here in Central NH. Still 2 feet of snow in the ground. Our window is middle May to June. LOL
I'm driving to Florida 4/17-4/20 via I-81. Would love to hook up with a local and forage just a few to bring to my family in Fl. Probably the only person you might even consider as a tagalong seeing my home is over a dozen hours away. I'll bring some dried black trumpet mushrooms and a pint of our Maple Syrup as a gesture of appreciation. Thanks
How far south are you going on 81

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.