2019 Merkel Season

Discussion in 'Virginia' started by barndog, Jan 10, 2019.

1. barndog

barndog Morel Connoisseur

It's over in my area. Long wait till next spring.

1 person likes this.
  2. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

Is it to early think about next year?

1 person likes this.

3. barndog

barndog Morel Connoisseur

Like the way you think!

4. Patricia Mitchell

Patricia Mitchell Morel Enthusiast

I live in Ararat, VA. Grew up in Wyoming county, WV. Hunted mollymoochers for 16 years in WV and Roanoke, VA before moving to Patrick county, VA. I can't seem to find any here. Alot if old farmers tell me the soil here is nit right for them to grow here. Any suggestions?? Morel lover forever

2 people like this.
  5. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Howdy Patricia...
    Wade here... So very Happy to have you Joining us!!
    My home area is Monroe County Indiana
    where I've Morel Hunted for 54 years now
    i can not advise you about your local soils.. Other than to say; i doubt that all of your areas soils are unable to sustain Morels..
    i have learned Morels will grow Wherever they want to..and i still find Myself surprised when i find them some where i never thought i would.. and likewise find Zero..where it seemed they should surely be plentiful..
    Here is a picture near Bristle Tennessee Screenshot_20200130-195824_Gallery.jpg when you see Red buds this Brilliant, its Time to pull over and start looking.. Everywhere..and around Sycamore and Elm trees..
    i Think you will find yourself Happily surprised with what folks just driving by have No idea of...
    One thing is sure..
    The Mystery will always be..
    You won't know if You don't Go!
    Enjoy the Hunt
    from Wade

6. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

Hi Patricia, I took a quick look at Patrick co.and you seem to have the same problem I have acidic soils. I’m in Maryland but share the same problem. We need to find more alkaline soils that the morels prefer. I use the USDA soil survey maps to help with this. You can get some pH test results there. If you don’t want to do that,as a general rule you will find a higher pH along creeks and rivers. Since you have hunted morels before I’m sure you know trees matter too... I hope this helps and best of luck..

7. Patricia Mitchell

Ararat, Virginia. 20 minutes from Mount Airy, NC.

8. Patricia Mitchell

I would love to team up with you. Just let me know how we can get together. Should be popping up in about 3 weeks or so. I'm so excited