Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's all about learning trees. My best luck has been north/south/east facing hills, preferably along the bottoms next to rivers and creeks in mostly pure poplar stands. The poplars I'm talking about are Tulip Poplars (or Tulip Trees, etc.) and are very common and easily identified.

Other trees to look for are Ash, which look very much like Poplars except for the leaves, and dead/dying Elms. Elms work wonders for morel hunters in the midwest, with some having pounds and pounds growing under and around a single tree. While not as common (at least in my experience) in Virginia, there are still Elms here and there, and I was lucky enough to come across 2 standing dead ones a few years ago that had lots of big beautiful blonde morels under them. Unfortunately I only got to pick there once as the property was sold later that year.

Anyway, another tree to look out for is the Redbud tree. They're common in suburban yards as ornamentals, but also grow wild (at least further west). They're easily identified in spring by the bright purplish/pinkish color of their buds, and when you see this it's a good indicator that morels in that area are up or on their way up. I haven't seen morels growing specifically around Redbuds, they're only used as an indicator for the season. Another indicator is the Tulip Poplar I mentioned. When their leaves are about the size of a quarter it's typically prime morel season. Living in the foothills of the Blue Ridge, I can look at a mountainside and when I see that bright yellow/green of young poplar leaves streaking across it, I know it's time.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions, and Happy Hunting!
Yes I'm new to va so I'm looking for a spot I can find some and would love more info could u PM me

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ive been casually looking while scouting new areas that have poplars and haven't seen any. I'm guessing next week would be the earliest since night temps have hovered around freezing and will for a few more days. we have some high 60s days and low 50s/high 40s nights coming this weekend so maybe that will be enough . Fingers Crossed

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you go to thegreatmorel dot com you can find a sighting map and I'm noticing in the last few days the sightings have moved up from Georgia to NC so guessing we are close.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey all, I'm up here in Central NH. Still 2 feet of snow in the ground. Our window is middle May to June. LOL
I'm driving to Florida 4/17-4/20 via I-81. Would love to hook up with a local and forage just a few to bring to my family in Fl. Probably the only person you might even consider as a tagalong seeing my home is over a dozen hours away. I'll bring some dried black trumpet mushrooms and a pint of our Maple Syrup as a gesture of appreciation. Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey all, I'm up here in Central NH. Still 2 feet of snow in the ground. Our window is middle May to June. LOL
I'm driving to Florida 4/17-4/20 via I-81. Would love to hook up with a local and forage just a few to bring to my family in Fl. Probably the only person you might even consider as a tagalong seeing my home is over a dozen hours away. I'll bring some dried black trumpet mushrooms and a pint of our Maple Syrup as a gesture of appreciation. Thanks
How far south are you going on 81

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm from Franklin County VA, so excited to find some more this year. This will be my second year, last year I found a total of 15 pounds or so. I'm thinking 4-15-2019 - 5-20-2019 will be the peak around where I am.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I looked in a known productive holler this morning. No Merkel's. The bloodroot and other flowers are starting to sprout so the time is here. Just need some warmth and moisture.
I went out to a heavy Tulip tree, sycamore and beech tree area along the Potomac River today with 20 people and saw no Morels. We covered a lot of ground Like you we saw lots of other good indicators. We had rain last night/this morning and soil temps are 58 deg 6 inches down. We saw Ramps and May Apples were sprouting as well.

21 - 40 of 188 Posts