Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

101 - 120 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Will they tolerate/grow in a flood zone? Found an area along the Potomac full of elm/sycamores/poplar but it floods a few times a year.
Hey Rick. Some say they will not appear for couple years after flooding. Others have picked in floodzones during and the year after said flood. While flooding is a disturbance and does knock down many trees. The main concern however, is contaimnants. Floodwaters are Nasty stuff. You dont wanna go eating mushrooms exposed to floodwaters & risk illness. Most of the time it takes 100 days for the soil in floodzones to reach pre-flooded bacterial levels. I would recommend exercising some caution, but if certain areas of this new found spot are higher elevation or just outside waters reach, go ahead & hunt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everybody,congrats on the finds,finding a few,12 since Friday the 12th,near poplars mostly,hunting in the tidewater area.Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got out yesterday for a couple hours. Found 1 small back that appears to be about a day old. Still seems a bit early here in Northern Virginia from what I've seen in the woods. The one I found was at the base of a large old Popular Tree and amongst a couple Beech trees.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Way to go kevin.

Looks like another cold night here in Giles. Only found a handful today. I could tell some other hunters had been out. You could see the stubs left behind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I'm pretty new to hunting, going on 4th year now. I've looked at this forum a lot to find out when they're out and about and learned a lot of little tips. I was hooked after finding 13 my second year and then only a handful last year.... my luck has changed!!! Found over 100 in Montgomery County

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
So I'm pretty new to hunting, going on 4th year now. I've looked at this forum a lot to find out when they're out and about and learned a lot of little tips. I was hooked after finding 13 my second year and then only a handful last year.... my luck has changed!!! Found over 100 in Montgomery County
Heeeeyyy!!!! Alrite!!! Thatta Waay!!! Keep it up!!:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Finding some decent grays in Mont. Co. I found the first one 4/10..the earliest I've ever found one. Have seen more come up each day since. Even after a low of 31 at my house last night, the ones already up didn't seem to mind the cold. I think things are shaping up for a good season, I'm going to be hitting it hard the next couple weeks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
That looks awesome Randee. Next time put a dollar bill, lighter or drink can in for scale. Nice find. How many were around it?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Nice haul Briggs! Always nice to get into em like that. Keep on pickin

101 - 120 of 188 Posts