Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

121 - 140 of 188 Posts

·
Super Moderator
732 Posts
Hey Rick. Some say they will not appear for couple years after flooding. Others have picked in floodzones during and the year after said flood. While flooding is a disturbance and does knock down many trees. The main concern however, is contaimnants. Floodwaters are Nasty stuff. You dont wanna go eating mushrooms exposed to floodwaters & risk illness. Most of the time it takes 100 days for the soil in floodzones to reach pre-flooded bacterial levels. I would recommend exercising some caution, but if certain areas of this new found spot are higher elevation or just outside waters reach, go ahead & hunt.
Hawkeyes Post is spot on, not worth the chance., never know what is in flood water.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Started finding some nice ones this morning and got rained out. Hopefully the rain just makes more.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
In the morning I going to look on some land never been hunted before. Need to find some new patches.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I got tired of scouting and went to a known good spot this morning. POW! They were up everywhere. Walked about a half mile. 2lb 6 oz. Will post some more pics when I clean them up.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, just signed up - Im an avid hunter/fisherman/cook in college at UVA and just got into foraging... something I don't know a ton about. Really grateful to be around some people with a lot more knowledge than me. Is it late in the season for albemarle/nelson counties? If not, would it be better to search up in the mountains (where i do most of my brook trout fishing) or stay at lower altitudes? Any information would be appreciated! Obviously understand the secrecy aspect of morel hunting... just looking for a little advice specific to VA

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey guys, just signed up - Im an avid hunter/fisherman/cook in college at UVA and just got into foraging... something I don't know a ton about. Really grateful to be around some people with a lot more knowledge than me. Is it late in the season for albemarle/nelson counties? If not, would it be better to search up in the mountains (where i do most of my brook trout fishing) or stay at lower altitudes? Any information would be appreciated! Obviously understand the secrecy aspect of morel hunting... just looking for a little advice specific to VA
They could be low or high, around poplars,elms and old orchards. Really just getting good now

·
Registered
33 Posts
They could be low or high, around poplars,elms and old orchards. Really just getting good now
Most of my finds are on north east facing slopes but that’s not set in stone they can be anywhere or no where. Just have to look

121 - 140 of 188 Posts