Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

2019 Merkel Season

37K views 187 replies 35 participants last post by  Patricia Mitchell 
#1 ·
Is it too early to be thinking about Merkels???

Attachments

See less See more
#77 ·
New to Va, new to mushroom hunting! I came in too late last year, but being on here gets me so excited! I have never tasted a Morel. Hoping to find something this year. If anyone is near the Augusta Co area and willing to have a partner, I would LOVE to learn the tricks. I will be going out just walking in the next day or so and probably this weekend.

#78 ·
I hunted Merkels the day my Momma died
Took up bag and stick then hit my stride
To a deep dark holler I strolled without much sleep
For mine had been a vigil set to keep
Thru the night I held her hand
Hoping to see God’s grand plan
Before the dawn she slipped away
The moon had set on her last day
Now with my bag and stick I trudge on again
Tired feet on springs new land
No blacks or greys were there spied
Looking thru my reddened eyes.
I see the Blood Root flower born anew
Reminded me of a life imbued
With love, wisdom, kindness and grace
Now in all flowers I see your face

#104 ·
Hey Rick. Some say they will not appear for couple years after flooding. Others have picked in floodzones during and the year after said flood. While flooding is a disturbance and does knock down many trees. The main concern however, is contaimnants. Floodwaters are Nasty stuff. You dont wanna go eating mushrooms exposed to floodwaters & risk illness. Most of the time it takes 100 days for the soil in floodzones to reach pre-flooded bacterial levels. I would recommend exercising some caution, but if certain areas of this new found spot are higher elevation or just outside waters reach, go ahead & hunt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.