2019 Morel Season

Discussion in 'Alabama' started by newtimmy, Feb 6, 2019.

1. newtimmy

newtimmy Morel Connoisseur

Jk or anyone else. I sent pic on my iphone (5) to a friend. Go to messages and click the pic, choose (copy) go to morels.com reply box click and hit paste it will jump right in

2. newtimmy

like that quick. Did in 45 secs

3. jim33

jim33 Morel Connoisseur

It’s refreshing to see you guys finding more of them. The weather up here is acting like it’s probably going to delay the party. It’s really not that far out but the current weather situation is probably making it seem longer than it really is lol

4. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

Check in Huntsville today. We're close (trilium just starting to open but no mayapples). The cold is coming at a perfect time for us.

Treesleeper likes this.
  5. newtimmy

Found another patch of 13 this morning. Letting all grow to pick Sun or Mon before the cold

1 person likes this.
  6. GaryW

GaryW Young Morel

New to this--why is a cold spell advantageous?

7. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

Morels can take up to 14 days to reach maturity. If the babies had popped up now, by Sunday's cold snap they'd get stunted and burned (black spots with no growth). No cold snap would be better, but all fruiting after the snap is what we get.

8. Treesleeper

Treesleeper Morel Enthusiast

Hey Chonas, I am new to morel hunting and also live in the Huntsville area. I noticed from reading last years post that you seem to be one of the few that hunt the Huntsville area. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction as to what type of areas and trees to concentrate on up here. Not looking for specifics, but would appreciate any help that you are willing to provide.

9. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

I've found some in privet bottoms in areas that flood occasionally (sycamore, sweetgum, ash, tulip poplar). I've found most in gently sloping woods near logs on the ground near tulip poplars.

eidolon likes this.
  10. Treesleeper

Thanks for the information. I've been scouting the woods near my house, which is at the base of a south facing mountain. There is small area of younger poplars at the bottom that looks pretty good. The rest of the mountain is mostly hardwoods, but has a good population of ash. Thanks again, I look forward to your upcoming post and hope to be making some of my own in the next couple of weeks.

11. newtimmy

Have found 36 since Weds. One general area. 3 patches with 20,13 and 3. Pic is the patch of 3 I spotted today. Going to check a few other earlier areas tomorrow. Plan to pick Monday before the Tues am freeze.

Treesleeper likes this.
  12. Treesleeper

newtimmy, very impressive. I'm getting excited to start looking for them up here. Wish the cold weather would have stayed away.

13. stasiakj

stasiakj Morel Enthusiast

I live in Helena, just south of Bham. Looks like I need to get out into the woods this weekend!

14. newtimmy

Above pic, biggest ive got spotted as of Friday. Cap is 3” and about 1.75” across. Note baby just above it and one 5-6” right of walking stick

1 person likes this.
  15. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

jk117 - I posted 3 pics tonight in the "Strange Things Seen" forum using the "Upload a file" function. Worked for me the first time in 4-5 days.

Share your pics.

16. newtimmy

upload_2019-3-2_11-9-58.png

2 people like this.