2019 Morel Season

Discussion in 'Alabama' started by newtimmy, Feb 6, 2019.

1. newtimmy

newtimmy Morel Connoisseur

2. newtimmy

Above pic is a patch of privets growing near top of a dry creek bed that takes water when it rains. Also, it parallels a running creek. You see the roots are exposed and being washed on by water. Weve found 35 morels on either side of this and just up onto the flat area. Picked 25 before the freeze but if you expand pic you may spot some of the 10 weve left

3. Treesleeper

Treesleeper Morel Enthusiast

newtimmy, just wanted to say thank you for sharing your knowledge and posting pictures of the habitats you hunt. I am new to morel hunting and have never found one, but hope to change that this year. I live just east of Huntsville and really would have no clue where to start if it wasn't for this site and help from you and other regular contributors.

2 people like this.
  4. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

What.?? is this Odd Thing Yall Have Going on, Down There With Yall's Morels Grow'n on and Outa Everything but the Ground.???

1 person likes this.
  5. newtimmy

Morels showing up in a couple mid season patches just yesterday and today. Big hunt planned Thursday with hunting buddy. Hope to bag 2-3 lbs based on what were seeing and this near perfect weather. Will be sure to update Thurs evenng.

2 people like this.
  6. newtimmy

Okay, to lighten things up a little, I have a morel riddle for anyone caring to take a stab at it: Riddle: The key to finding the little morels is to first find the big morels.

7. judymoon

judymoon Morel Connoisseur

They are in the ground I’ve never got one grown in wood debris or a log/stump;)

2 people like this.
  8. gutterman

gutterman Morel Connoisseur

That’s not accurate. In Ohio I’ve seen them grow out of moss covered rocks and mossy rock ledges. Also check the other threads as others have shown pictures where they have grown out of a stick/branch. They will grow wherever they desire within the radius of the host tree. Rock stick dirt they’ll grow so just find the right kind of trees and search thouroughly around under and on top of lol. Where’s Waldo around producer trees.

1 person likes this.
  9. newtimmy

The riddle answer: so early season its very difficult to find babies ( an inch +\- ). So I usually find little ones early in known patches were Ive found bigger ones in prior season(s)

Treesleeper likes this.
  10. jim33

jim33 Morel Connoisseur

Totally agree. I’ve found them growing off rocks, tree trunks, whatever the mycelium has creeped up into it, or onto through moss.

11. stasiakj

stasiakj Morel Enthusiast

Wish me luck. Got the day off and about to scout some areas in south Bham.

12. stasiakj

So as I trample ever so slowly, I don't see any of the indicator I'm accustomed to...may apples, fiddleheads, MORELS.
    I'm about to go into some privets and surrounded by sycamore. Anything that I'm missing?

13. eidolon

eidolon Morel Connoisseur

2 people in GA this year have posted photos (fb) of single morels sprouting from a stick. It's pretty unusual, I think.

14. eidolon

eidolon Morel Connoisseur

All I can tell you is that in my experience, they are very very hard to spot. I have considered maybe scanning a likely area with binoculars, just to enlarge what I'm looking at. Good luck.

15. newtimmy

upload_2019-3-14_16-24-54.jpeg upload_2019-3-14_16-24-54.jpeg Found 2 lbs today. Metro Bham. It seems to be mid 2nd qtr where I hunt. Looks like we should have 14-20 days left for fruiting. Hoping this rain gets some more popping

2 people like this.
  16. judymoon

judymoon Morel Connoisseur

I can’t find em;(
    I think if area has flooded maybe the mycillium uprooted and attached to wood debris or whatever I DONT believe it spored on it then fruited! Btw this pic was first of season last yr, I’m going to my early spot tomorrow;) I’m so stoked!!!

Attached Files:

17. stasiakj

Excellent find! What environment did you find them?

18. newtimmy

Near creeks best place to look in south. My most productive trees are ash and hackberry ( elm, dead elm, sycamore and privet good too ). Best to find creek bottom areas with a good mix of as many of these 5 tree species. You dont have to always be 30 feet or less from creek; more importantly look only in elevations 15 feet or less from the flood stage or top of the creek or river bank. Best advice I can give for southern hunting...

19. Treesleeper

Treesleeper Morel Enthusiast

Thanks again for sharing helpful information. How has the flooding affected the areas you hunt. The creeks in my area around Huntsville have been out there banks several times in the last several months.
    Things are just starting to green up around here. I have been hoping to hear some positive reports from my area. How far off are we in the Huntsville area.

20. newtimmy

I have found many due to flooding and washout areas so far this year. I hunt bham not huntsville, but based on the usual difference in bham and huntsville, Id guess Huntsville best days will fall March 22- April 10. But id start looking now if i were in Huntsville. Blacks should definitely be up