2019 Morel Season

Discussion in 'Alabama' started by newtimmy, Feb 6, 2019.

1. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

I'm checking 2 spots tomorrow for HSV area. Will update.

Had to go out of office after post above, I'm still going to go out but I'm 100% sure I won't find any morels. Only yellow dandelions out, and woods all still look like they're in winter mode.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  2. Treesleeper

Treesleeper Morel Enthusiast

3. Treesleeper

Thanks, I knew you were in B'ham area. I've been waiting on Chonas to post something from the Huntsville area. I'm going be out of pocket until next weekend, but plan on looking then. I've never found a Morel, but have a few spots that I want to try.

4. Treesleeper

Hey Chonas, I know that you hunt the Huntsville area. I'm actually in the Maysville/Gurley area and like you said, things are just starting to green up. I saw the first redbuds stating to bloom yesterday.
    Good luck, I look forward to your post.

2 people like this.
  5. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

At least 2 weeks away. Did get some dryinus oysters and young pheasantbacks though.

Treesleeper likes this.
  6. newtimmy

newtimmy Morel Connoisseur

Chonas, i think we have only 10-12 days of fruiting around Bham. Based on what and where im finding compared to previous years. We ll hunt til April 1, but fruiting may cease by 26/27th

1 person likes this.
  7. jk117

jk117 Morel Enthusiast

I agree with you Timmy. Only ~10 days left here in the Birmingham area. My late season patches are already fruiting but only half as much as usual with frost burned spots on most of them. The freeze really put a hurting on the places I hunt. Good luck out there.

2 people like this.
  8. newtimmy

My assessment of the season its been about average. How much time left for a materially mass fruiting here in the Bham area? Im guessing the fruiting will end late March or the first few days of April. Based on soil temp data I have followed the last 6 years, I can see we have not gotten too warm to signal the end of season is close. This warming did occur in 2016,17 and 18 and caused a shortened and poor season. Weather looks alot more like 2014 and 2015 which were highly productive around March 22~ April 2. We can only hope and hunt. Big hunt tomm 3/21. Will update on finds. What do you other Ala hunters think about what remains of the season?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    1 person likes this.
  9. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

Checked the farthest south place I could, and the plants there look like the plants near me. Mayapples lower than mid calf, trilium still mostly closed. We were like a curve approaching zero with the soil temps, just never quite got there. Looks like we'll start a week from Saturday up here.

Treesleeper likes this.
  10. stasiakj

stasiakj Morel Enthusiast

Shout out to newtimmy...this guy. Not only does he help a newbie to the morel environment of Bham, he also texts me directions to a tree. Cross the bridge, take a left, go 80 yards...
    Bam. My first Alabama morel. If newtimmy was a drone pilot, the war in Afghanistan would of been over 15 years ago!

DIYDi, Cas, Inthewild and 7 others like this.
  11. newtimmy

upload_2019-3-21_15-52-20.jpeg Found about three-quarters of a pound. Left a couple lil greys out there. Need a warmup and one good rain next 7-10 days. Dont expect much or any material fruiting into April but remainder of March could do well.

12. Walkabout

Walkabout Morel Enthusiast

Frogs have been chirping in Charlotte, N.C. since January. It's been extremely wet and mild temps this "winter"

13. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

I'm guessing Thursday of next week for HSV area. If I find anything tomorrow I'll post.

Treesleeper and (deleted member) like this.
  14. judymoon

judymoon Morel Connoisseur

Up here in Athens Al
    Went to early spot still nothing really feeling 1 more week so fri/sat it's on!!!

1 person likes this.
  15. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

just need rain, plants are at the right stages

Walkabout likes this.
  16. Walkabout

Walkabout Morel Enthusiast

The relative humidity near Charlotte, N.C. was 13% yesterday...
    As I walked today the leaves were too crunchy. Too dry. Air needs some moisture ...

17. HSwede1

HSwede1 Young Morel

Have not found anything in NC yet. I hope this is my year. Looked today but very dry. Now that’s it's warm we could use some rain.

Walkabout likes this.
  18. eidolon

eidolon Morel Connoisseur

Has anybody on here hunted morels in the part of the Talladega Natl Forest (Cheaha) that's north of I-20? It goes all the way up to Piedmont, AL. I know there is a lot of pine in that area, but hardwoods too, and there seem to be a lot of creeks. Any luck?

19. newtimmy

Anybody seeing anything in Alabama. Spotted patch of 2 new greys this morning. One was an inch, the other 1.5 inches. Crazy season. Hoping we have a week left. Hate my spots got .01 inch of rain Monday. Hunting tomm (thurs) 2 locales. One a lil south of Clanton and then back around Bham. Will update the good bad and ugly. Sure need this Saturday rain.!!

DIYDi likes this.
  20. judymoon

judymoon Morel Connoisseur

I’m going to check early spot in Athens tomorrow will let ya know, been ripe this week nervous about next weeks lows! We got rain Monday