!2019 NEW Morel Update Here...

Discussion in 'Indiana' started by noskydaddy, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Black morel

13.6%
  2. White morel

7.8%
  3. Gray Morel

21.4%
  4. I love them all equally!

57.3%
  1. scoondog

scoondog Morel Enthusiast

i dehydrated for 6 mo. turned out pretty good , unfortunately i very seldom have extra to put up

3 people like this.
  2. eternalsunking

eternalsunking Morel Connoisseur

I've never traveled north of Sand Point lake except by floatplane.

How many portage's do you typically run into?

1 person likes this.

3. Stelthshroomer

Stelthshroomer Morel Connoisseur

In the woods for a couple hours yesterday here in nw indiana and was bit suprised to bring my first tick home. Bring on the Morels you all can have these ticks.
    Wade good to see you have some status now as "administrator" congradulations! Works keeping me peged sorry I have been difficult to get a hold of.
    Good to see everyones back maybe we will get this thread to 400 pages!

5 people like this.
  4. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Bout time you get in the woods
    Yep Thank You
    I'll always be just the same ol me I have always been Bro @Stelthshroomer and All the Other Good Folks on Here..
    We are about to Have Such a Wonderful time Walking in the woods and Hunting Morels..
    Also...Lets all try to get and Post some cool Wildlife and unique pictures while we are out there

8 people like this.
  5. eternalsunking

I would settle with hearing everyone's craziest wildlife story in the woods. Maybe you saw something you never expected to or something you never wanted to see???

My dad always tells a story about rounding the corner on a portage in Canada only to find himself staring at a moose. At that very moment a deal was struck and both parties went back to where then came from lol

4 people like this.
  6. guff76

guff76 Morel Connoisseur

Really haven't seen to many crazy things in the woods while shrooming but while deer hunting is another story. When your out sitting in the stand or the ground you become more with nature. Seen Hawks n owls come down n snatch up squirrels to wandering if the squirrel is gonna jump on me. Then back in the day when i coon hunted with dogs, my dog saved me many times from being attacked by coons after they fell out the tree. Boy I tell ya a coon is one tuff critter, we'd shoot them a few times till they came down n they fall n get up n still be mean as hell. Even had a couple coons come back to life on us lol

7. Kokomorel

Kokomorel Morel Connoisseur

Nice wake up and it’s 54 wish it would say this nice. Won’t be long

8. parrothead

parrothead Morel Connoisseur

Man frogs were going nuts last night. I plant winter wheat in garden for cover crop and the the fert. value. I had to get mower out last night and cut it down. It was up to 8 inches tall last fall. It turned brown so I cut it down before it turned green. Can't mow through that stuff when its that tall. Just need to till it under when it dries now.

9. guff76

guff76 Morel Connoisseur

Do you find that planting the winter wheat is beneficial?

T tom likes this.
  10. parrothead

parrothead Morel Connoisseur

Yes helps open up soil and is called "green manure" when you till it in. Bag a wheat is 18 bucks so pretty cheap help

1 person likes this.
  11. guff76

guff76 Morel Connoisseur

Yea have heard of people doing that but just never someone I knew. Have been curious if was helpful. Thanks for the info will give it a whirl this year

1 person likes this.
  12. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

I had a similar encounter in Canada, went to open the cabin door first thing in the morning and was staring at a black bear eye to eye. Its as if he were knocking on the door! I think he was as freaked out as I was because I slamed the door and yelled as he bolted thru the woods.

2 people like this.
  13. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

One thing I would like to ask everyone that posts pictures, I'm to old school to learn how, but please take pics showing the trees that are bringing the shrooms up in the same pic. I'm sure theres a lot of education in those pics for newbys.

Caroo and (deleted member) like this.
  14. gbmillerman

gbmillerman Morel Connoisseur

I do winter rye, works like a charm!!

15. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

CW go back several pages and you'll see where I posted pics of an elm I hunted last year with the shrooms it held. Also you can go to YouTube and watch morels and elm video by creatorwise.
    Good luck
    BR5

2 people like this.
  16. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Sunking,
    Nice topic for all us shroom hunters that spend time in the woods. My best friend & I were bow hunting elk in Colorado in the late 90's. We'd set up tree stands on either side of a valley about 60 yards wide with dark timber on either side. Evening was perfect, you could hear game moving and breeze was light. I was set up over a watering hole about 5 yards from my stand with an well worn game trail going by it. About a hour before dusk I spotted what I thought was an elk in the distance. Turned out to be a large black bear. He came right down the trail and passed inches from my tree. I was only up about 12 feet and it didn't feel nearly far enough. He stopped and smelled the climbers and I could hear his deep nasely breaths. My heart was racing and all I could think about was cutting my safety belt and jumping to the adjcect tree should he decide to come up for a closer look. He finally went to the water hole where I could actually get a good look. His ears were like tiny nubs on his head. He eventually went into the woods and the sticks he snapped sounded like a femur being broken. I decided to stay until dark as I was sure an elk was next down the trail. At dusk came I climbed down. When my feet hit the ground the realization that there were large bear hit me like a truck. I went to my buddies stand and he wasn't there. I wasted the few minutes of light I had looking up and down the ridge for his stand. I went back to the original spot and shined my flashlight up to see an empty stand. The trail in was probably a 1/4 mile from camp at the most, but a more direct route cut a third of that off but without a trail. I decide to try and stay calm and walk the trail. About 50 yards in my mag light got so dim I could barely see te ground. Not very far after that a stick snapped and in my heart the bear was coming for me. I immediately took off directly toward camp as fast as I could go without falling or getting my eye poked out by a branch. About 15 minutes later I emerged into the clearing by camp. I was soaked in sweat and pissed at my buddy for leaving me. At the same time I was grateful for the light of the fire and the fact I was alive. The first words out of his mouth were "did you see that huge bear"?

2 people like this.
  17. eternalsunking

I hate to say it but your buddy made the right call to high tail it home. It's one thing to walk through a zoo, it's a whole other feeling knowing you're out there surviving just like all the other creatures.

I've only seen a black bear "up close" once. We were in a boat rounding a corner to a small falls on our lake. Right in the middle of our path was a young bear swinging with ease. What really floored me was how quickly he hit the shore line and flat disappeared... I've walked some of the shoreline since then and you can't help but think what might be around the next tree.

3 people like this.
  18. eternalsunking

Here is one of my favorite wildlife stories. We had just finished our morning fishing and started prepping lunch. I stepped out off the front porch to take a leak and was stunned.

upload_2019-3-14_22-8-17.png

I saw this little guy sitting here and not trying to run away. If you look closely between his jaw and the tip of his tail you will see a fishing lure. It was very old... someone probably left it on the porch as a show piece or something. I was upset that we allow this to happen.

We ended up picking him up with a towel performed quick surgery. One hook was in his mouth the other in his paw trying to pull the lure away. Chopped the barb off the one in his mouth and cut the one in his paw as short as we could. Quick dose of hydrogen peroxide and sent him on his way.

upload_2019-3-14_22-15-46.png

The very next day we saw him near Little Falls, maybe a quarter mile away from the cabin. Hunting for whatever he could find in the shallow waters. To this day I hope we gave him a fair chance.

19. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

@eternalsunking ..
    You Already Know....
    Man ..That is What I'm Talkin about
    The EternalSunKing
    * a Morel Man
    * a Fisher Man
    * and a Gentle Hearted Woods Man
    Thank You for helping that Beautiful little Red Fox..and Sharing such and inspiring Story.