!2019 NEW Morel Update Here...

Discussion in 'Indiana' started by noskydaddy, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Black morel

14.6%
  2. White morel

8.3%
  3. Gray Morel

19.8%
  4. I love them all equally!

57.3%
  1. jessicaleigh87

jessicaleigh87 Morel Enthusiast

Just finalized planning our yearly trip to central Indiana for mushroom hunting. It sucks living so far away (I’m in Texas and Mother in Louisiana) and having to plan it in advance (because of requesting off work) not knowing if the days we choose will be good or not. We will be there April 20-26. The last two years we’ve been up there a week earlier and it was just a tad too early. I’m exited to see everyone’s updates on here as time gets closer!

8 people like this.
  2. jashroomer

jashroomer Morel Connoisseur

Going north of Sand point we haven't portaged too much, a couple of the guys bushwacked their way to one from red horse and bay, hoping for big bass or northern, ended up with some giant crappie. Most the portages are to the south, over to in land lakes, Mud Turtle, Queer Rock, Lilac, and Trout. Been through the 56 rapids over the mecahnical portage into Loon.

2 people like this.

3. jashroomer

jashroomer Morel Connoisseur

[​IMG]Last year was when i ran into this guy, literally kicked it. Once it uncoiled it was 6' long easy. Was about 4 miles south of Martinsville, May 8th.

I have run into back bears twice in Canada, the last was 2 years ago, we were on the portage to Lilac lake and turn the corner and had one 25 feet from me, beautiful bear, turn to my buddy behind and said "we got a bear" and like that it ran off.

3 people like this.
  4. T tom

T tom Morel Connoisseur

5 people like this.
  5. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

@jessicaleigh87 Hello Wade here !
    i was born and raised Morel Hunting in Monroe county Indiana.. Began in 1965
    all my life We've Known Our season to be Last two weeks of April and First two weeks of May....This has held true for my
    54 years of Hunting..
    still I Hunt and find a few early spots ive learned in the first weeks of April..
    and still find a few in the last week's of May...
    i have already said a few weeks ago that i believe i will find My first here April 4th 2019 this year...
    So i Say Yes Same as T tom @T tom
    you will find yourself Right in the middle of them.. during April 20th - 26th
    Now Thats a Lot of Good information
    but still doesn't Eliminate the Wonderful Mystery part of Our Hunt that We All Love and That Will Always Be... 20180504_165434.jpg picture from first week of May 2018

6. noskydaddy

noskydaddy Morel Connoisseur

Anyone ever find the elusive and mysterious GREEN MOREL?

I've heard stories and people swear that it's true.
    Just wondering if anyone has seen one?

Some say it's like finding a UNICORN.

What say you?

7. wade

@noskydaddy ...
    and All the Other Good Folks on here....
    i believe Almost anything is possible ..
    and that Our Planet "Earth" and Our Universe... are Amazing and seem Limitless..
    a Green Morel.... Hhhhmmm ...

8. Mushroom Geologist

Mushroom Geologist Morel Enthusiast

Todays find in East Texas area. The grey morels seem to be producing better this year than the previous year. Usually about 2 weeks after these pop up I start seeing the yellow morels.

Attached Files:

9. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

They can only be found on March 17th.

10. engalwood

engalwood Morel Connoisseur

Reports of some small Blacks in Ky Its getting o so close. Going to suck a big one this year as Im having Surgery April 28th. Will be down for a week and not able to do much

1 person likes this.
  11. Gudenhot

Gudenhot Morel Connoisseur

The woods I mainly hunt in northern Vanderburgh is loaded with big black rat snakes. Snakes don't really bother me but on two separate occasions I've reached down and found one of them coiled up shaking it's tail acting like a rattler. It's a feeling you can't shake and more than enough to send me packing for the day. Ha

12. Gudenhot

Unicorns aren't real, but Leprechauns do going around painting morels near St. Patty's Day.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 7:24 PM
  13. Gudenhot

I figured ground temps would be lower after the colder winter this year. Looking at various AG sites it appears were not far from 58-60 degree ground temps here in Southern Indiana.

Hopefully, we'll all have a bumper crop and it doesn't go straight to summer on us this year. Good luck my peeps!

14. Gudenhot

Great week to choose. I'm not sure which way you're coming thru? I'm near Evansville. If interested, I could meet you all for a quick bite and take you on a local hunt. No guarantees, but good spots.
    Tim

3 people like this.
  15. Gudenhot

Awesome haul!

16. pedro

pedro Morel Connoisseur

1 person likes this.
  17. noskydaddy

Is that a reliable report?

1 person likes this.
  18. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

E5FC7E11-1461-490D-BA3A-EC4E880FA2ED.png Yeah it is! There was another report of a find in central KY , Larue county.

19. noskydaddy

Thank you!

3 people like this.
  20. wade

Best Beers in the World last night..
    Robin and Myself and Stealthshroomer
    Finally found Our Trails and Timing Crossing Close Enough to meet up at
    Three Floyds Distillery / Pub Restaurant 20190316_193225.jpg

3 people like this.