2019 Northern Michigan

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by Jason McDonald, May 19, 2019.

1. Jason McDonald

Jason McDonald Morel Enthusiast

2. mmh

mmh Moderator Staff Member Moderator

@Glenn,
    This is a little late for this years trip but for future reference stop at the Clare rest area, it is in-between the North and Southbound lanes of the interstate.
    They have a pamphlet that has a map of the different types of forests they have up there so you can pick what you want to hunt under.

2 people like this.

3. mmh

Glen/Jason
    I was in the same area but did not do nearly as well as you two.
    I have used Lilacs as a time indicator for yellows. We arrived Friday and they had buds, when we left Monday they were starting to flower. Mushroom Mary and I are thinking about next weekend. Any input would be appreciated. Thank You MMH/Alex

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  4. Jason McDonald

That is some great information thank you mmh

5. Jason McDonald

It should be good still this weekend unfortunately I can’t we had a litter of puppies when we came home.

1 person likes this.
  6. mmh

Congratulations on the new pups and your Morel finds.

7. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

We are in the UP between Paradise and Newberry and we’re just a little too early . We’ve only found @ a dozen blacks and a bunch of big false morels. The Blacks have just started here. We have a few more days here and then a one day stop in the lower peninsula.

8. Glenn

Glenn Morel Enthusiast

This weekend coming up should be peak for the whites/greys/yellows esculente variety. Your right about the lilacs. Everything is running late this year but the cool weather forecast will continue to keep the whites refrigerated and more should pop above the leaves. Found many tiny whites that I left in the woods. All together I picked about 90 whites in Cheboygan county and 20 in mackinac county this past weekend.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  9. Glenn

Glenn Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the post Rick. Its not often I hear reports from the UP. I live in Sault Ste Marie but only about 20% of my morel picking is up here.

2 people like this.
  10. elmgirl

elmgirl Morel Connoisseur

@mmh what did you and mushroom Mary decide? R u going back up

11. mmh

Mary cannot but I am still trying to decide whether I will go solo.

1 person likes this.
  12. mmh

@elmgirl, We both will be going back up on Friday and will be leaving Monday. We will be staying just South of Gaylord.

1 person likes this.
  13. elmgirl

elmgirl Morel Connoisseur

I'm going t probably go up Friday night as well still not sure if shroom hound will b going I wish you n Mushroom Mary the best of luck plz keep me updated just in case I dont get to go

14. rockytop69

rockytop69 Morel Enthusiast

Going up tonight hunting Thursday and Friday so best of luck to yall

1 person likes this.
  15. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Funny! I’m in Sault Ste. Marie today taking one of the lock tours.

1 person likes this.
  16. mmh

@elmgirl,shroomhound
    We will be staying at "Pine cone inn and suites" small but very nice cabin like rooms with coffee pot, micro., small fridge. 40 to 60 a night. Across the road is Otsego lake state park, or if you stay at the same campground as you did last weekend we will head that way to hunt anyway. Let me know what your plans are.
    do you still have my cell and Mushroom Mary's text number? Shroom on my friends. Alex

1 person likes this.
  17. little-shroomer

little-shroomer Morel Enthusiast

i found 7 blacks in Luce county on memorial day and 2 greys in chippewa county. all were small. they are late this year. good luck.

1 person likes this.
  18. sporadic hunter

sporadic hunter Young Morel

I live in Newberry and over the past week and a half I have found just over 50 greys in my yard, but none in the woods yet. Going out today and will be looking in open cleared areas where the sun has warmed the ground.

1 person likes this.
  19. celticcurl

celticcurl Morel Connoisseur

If you head West stop by 12 mile beach and see me. I am the camp host. It's part of pictured rocks national lakeshore.

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Glenn

Glenn Morel Enthusiast

Hi Rick,

Hope you have a great time in Sault Ste. Marie. I love this place. Great fishing, lots of public lands, and great people!

1 person likes this.