2019 Northern Michigan

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by Jason McDonald, May 19, 2019.

1. spongemuncher

spongemuncher Morel Enthusiast

are they still finding them in northern Michigan, like gaylord or boyne city, just wanted to see if we could hunt in boyne city? what national forrest are there, if anybody can give me info?

2. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Are you kidding? Endless morels forever? What's not to like?

3. Glenn

Glenn Morel Enthusiast

Yes there are still lots of morels to be had in northern michigan. Yesterday june 7 produced over 4 pounds in emmet county. Some were so fresh as if they popped up this past week! What a year but i am actually getting a bit tired lol.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  4. Glenn

Glenn Morel Enthusiast

As I posted there are still lots of fresh morels in northern michigan and Boyne City is a great area. Its hard to give detailed area to hunt because there is so much. I just use a county map to find the public areas and drive around looking for maple forests with ash in them. There is tons of that type of tarrain northern michigan. I look for the hilly areas because they get less picking over. You have to work to get em! The main problem is you will come across areas where the ash have been destructed by the beetle. Move on to another spot there are
    still nice ash to be found. I have to admit it does take exploring and time to find these areas however. I've been at it feverishly every spring in the past four years.

3 people like this.
  5. morelseeeker

morelseeeker Morel Connoisseur

I think it is a later season in Northern MI in the lower. On June 1st and 2nd I still found fresh blacks. On the sixth I picked ten pounds of whites. Not too sure about going to the upper peninsula but it is an option still.

2 people like this.
  6. Glenn

Glenn Morel Enthusiast

Hi Morelseeker. I bet there are still plenty to be collected in northern michigan. I just picked on friday the seventh and there were zero bad ones. Many appeared grey and light blonde in color and looked like they had just come up in the past week. I bet anyone could easily collect some with some getting too old to keep the weekend of the 14th. And that is in the northern lower penninsula. There is definitely fresh yellows and blondes and greys in the UP. I know of a few that I dont pick and I just checked them yesterday. Big and firm still very edible.

4 people like this.
  7. Glenn

Glenn Morel Enthusiast

An 8 inch morel very fresh. Picture taken yesterday June 11. I spotted others fresh as well. There is still potential for picking in northern Michigan.

Attached Files:

8. morelseeeker

morelseeeker Morel Connoisseur

Just got back today from Otsego county. There were fresh ones still coming but I'm thinking the season peaked about June 8th. I didn't find any big flushes but with all of the rain and this cooler weather I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a big flush to come.

Mushoom18 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Glenn

Glenn Morel Enthusiast

They are still out there and fresh in Emmet County. Last night 2.5 pounds in 1 hour. Biggest is 10 inches.

Attached Files:

10. Richard Hendrickson

Richard Hendrickson Young Morel

Season peaked alm
    Nice finds! Two weeks ago today, and friend and I spent we days outside of Boyne. We picked 49 lbs between us. I just got home from there lastnight with my son, we picked 7 lbs in 6 hours. There are lots and lots of dried up yellows. But, there are still some good ones down in the deep bowls and on the thick hillsides. It's been an awesome year up there for sure!

1 person likes this.
  11. Glenn

Glenn Morel Enthusiast

Wow thats incredible. I know I've had a great year this year but I still cannot conceive of 49 pounds in one day!!!
    When you found that many were there a couple trees with huge motherloads or were they just all over the hillsides?

1 person likes this.
  12. Richard Hendrickson

Sorry for the typo, we spent 3 days there. 23 hours of picking. Got there on Wednesday at noon, left Friday at 230 in the afternoon. They were everywhere. We did hit one tree that had 155 on it. A huge dead elm, right on the edge of a hillside. The just rolled on down the hill into the bottom of the bowl. It was a once in a lifetime moment. That was on Thursday of that week. We picked almost 30 pounds on that day alone. I'm from Northern Indiana, and that was the first time in my life, that I have ever seen so many shrooms, in such a short time. My buddy who has been there several years, says it's usually awesome, but this was the best year he's ever had there.

13. Glenn

Glenn Morel Enthusiast

Wow that is still great! Good job! It sure was an amazing year. All of mine come from public land and one weekend I picked about 15 pounds but could have picked more if I put in 8 hour days. I still have yet to experience the elm thing because there are so few (if any) elms in the spots I pick. All the elms I see driving around are in swamps or on private land. I find mine mostly on ash trees in the deep woods. Thanks for your post I grew up in boyne area but I didn't pick much when I was young.

14. Glenn

Glenn Morel Enthusiast

By the way I am still finding fresh ones (and some giants too). Season is still not over if I wanted more.

Richard Hendrickson likes this.
  15. Richard Hendrickson

I totally believe that the season isn't quite over. She sure is hanging on. I'm really curious how things are coming just north, across the bridge. We stopped at Brevmont Lake I believe it was last Tuesday. Everything was just coming to life there. Fresh lilacs, fresh leeks, fresh mayapple, but no shrooms. Locals all said one of two things. Done already, or hasn't even started yet. I believe the latter. I may find out this week.

16. Glenn

Glenn Morel Enthusiast

Your right Richard. I live near Sault Ste Marie so I have some spots in Mackinac and Chippewa Counties and the yellows are still out and still in good eating shape. Im not sure if they will make one more week but I am monitoring some and we shall see. I have been picking occasionally for about 5-6 weeks up here (starting with the blacks of course). But I do most of my picking in northern lower because the hunting is better down there.

17. Glenn

Glenn Morel Enthusiast

I'm done picking but here is proof they are still around in the upper penninsula. Actully spotted 8 all together and most were still firm and would be ok to eat.

Attached Files:

18. Glenn

Glenn Morel Enthusiast

17th of June in Sault Ste Marie Michigan

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  19. Glenn

Glenn Morel Enthusiast

Here he is again. Still growing a bit I think. And still would be ok to pick and eat. June 20, 2019 in Sault Ste Marie and this incredible year continues!!!

20. Glenn

Glenn Morel Enthusiast

20190620_121817.jpg