2019 OHIO 4th Quarter Fall Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by sb, Oct 5, 2019.

1. morelseeeker

morelseeeker Morel Connoisseur

A sad note. Recently in Hocking Hills a woman photographer was struck by a falling tree limb and killed. I try to avoid being in the woods when it is windy. Even when there was very little wind last week a big limb fell about 30 yards in front of me. It did make a lot of noise when it fell so it is likely I may have gotten out of the way if it fell above me.

2. MorelMe330

MorelMe330 Morel Enthusiast

Couple older chickens. Just a couple.

Attached Files:

morelseeeker likes this.

3. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Stop bragging! It's unbecoming!

4. MorelMe330

MorelMe330 Morel Enthusiast

None were able to be harvested.

Zabz likes this.
  5. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Hocking County

After getting spring water Monday, I spent time in the woods and found Dead Man's Fingers.

Duh . . . it was only on the trip home that it dawned on me that I should have harvested them.

With Halloween just two weeks away, they would have been the perfect appeasement to feed to any Zombies coming after me!!

Ya think?

DSC00923.JPG

Found some Resinous Polypore below. Everything I found was at the bottom of a gorge where moisture lingered.

DSC00958.JPG

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  6. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Anyone have any id on this. Sorta reminded me of some form of Stinkhorn mushroom.

DSC00936.JPG

7. adamrichard

adamrichard Morel Enthusiast

Hello! This was my first year looking for morels and now I'm hooked. Is it too late in the year to find Chicken of the Woods in my area? I'm in the Cleveland area. Thanks for the help!

morelseeeker likes this.
  8. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

adamrichard: It is not too late.

While out in the woods looking for Chicken of the Woods, you'll also possibly find Hen of the Woods or Maitake Mushrooms--another excellent edible; or autumn Oyster mushrooms; or Honey Mushrooms; or Lions Mane Mushrooms: or Puffballs.

Get out see what you find and then identify them.

9. adamrichard

adamrichard Morel Enthusiast

Appreciate the response and info. I have tomorrow off and will report if I have any luck. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  10. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Ok . . . Here's the rest of the story on post #26 above.

DSC00938.JPG

. . . an old metal cable, Ha!

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.
  11. goshawk75

goshawk75 Morel Connoisseur

Looks a little too far gone to be edible.

Zabz and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Kokomorel

Kokomorel Morel Connoisseur

Looks like a old logging cable

13. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Koko - Yes. You are right. That gorge and hillside is crisscrossed with 100 yr old logging roads which make for easier hiking.

Many are being resurrected as private hiking trails, as part of the popular and successful Vacation Cabin Rental industry in Hocking County and surrounding counties.

In one woods, especially, I find late-season Chanterelles growing in the moisture holding parallel ruts of old logging trails.

On this day, though, I found 6-8 Varieties of mushrooms -- all by running the bottom of a gorge.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Kokomorel likes this.
  14. morelseeeker

Watch for chicken mushrooms on living oak trees. When the tree sap starts moving down to the roots from cooler weather they will fruit just like hen of the woods do.

adamrichard and (deleted member) like this.
  15. morelseeeker

It has been such a prolonged drought in my areas that even when it rains it doesn't help much. Now I am up to 45 pounds of chicken mushrooms as of yesterday. In a good year I could have gotten that many in one morning.

1 person likes this.
  16. Zabz

Zabz Morel Enthusiast

I agree, there's been little to no rain. I think I may look one last time this weekend, but things were looking grim the past 4-5 times I've been out this past month.

17. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

We had a pretty good soaker starting middle of the night through the morning. My Sis is up from Florida, so I'm going to be busy with family duties, but if I get a chance to get out either Friday or Sunday, I'll do it. Although I don't hold out much hope. Haven't seen anything happening anywhere! No chickens, no hens, no pinkies, no nothing! Looking like a bust Fall!

18. morelseeeker

I am feeling fortunate to have now found 67 pounds of chickens. There is supposed to be a big rain event coming so maybe the hens will also come.

1 person likes this.
  19. morelseeeker

Went out this morning and found another 11 pounds of chickens. 78 pounds so far now. West Central OH.

1 person likes this.
  20. morelseeeker

I had the idea that the limb just fell on her but a travel for the stars reporter in Columbus told me that two men rolled the log or big tree limb on top of the woman photographer that killed her. How can people be so cruel.