2019 Ohio Mushroom Thread

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by sb, Jan 19, 2019.

1. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Post here in 2019 for Ohio.

Hell, I had to go to the CAM Grocery (Oriental market) in Columbus today to buy some Beech mushrooms to put in a fish stew.

tmb and (deleted member) like this.
  2. gutterman

gutterman Morel Connoisseur

BC1E26BB-6EF7-4BDA-A943-C35290B3B00B.jpeg Ohioans here is some fodder to pass the time. Hopefully this year will be as good for all of us as it was for these boys that fateful day. This is cut out article from Columbus dispatch from many years ago. Quite amazing! Also if you read bottom of article contains Paul Harvey checking in a saugeye! And now you know the rest of the story

Pensaul, MorelQueen, Kym and 5 others like this.

3. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

3.5 lb Pike County, OH Morel!!?! Back When? . . .
    Morels.com.ohio forum.jpg
    thanks Gutterman . . . still got me excited . . .

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  4. gutterman

Not sure of exact date but I know it was mid to late 90s. Have family that lives in worthington/Westerville area and they mailed the article to my father when I was kid. They knew we would get a kick out of it as avid motel hunters.

5. gutterman

The writer of the article Tom Porch wrote for the dispatch from 1983-1998 so I would say it was 1995-1998 range when the article was written.

1 person likes this.
  6. Joepappa

Joepappa Young Morel

Hello morel hunters, I'm an avid outdoorsman but new to morel mushrooms. Last year was my first year and I caught the fever. From what i understand last year wasnt quite on time so my question is for central southern ohio does anyone have any predictions for this year or tips on to know when. I am a chef so time is key since i cant walk the woods everyday. This might not be the proper thread so my apologies it was just the only ohio one i could find. Any tricks of the trade would be greatly appreciated. Be nice to my newbie questions, were all new to something ha. Good luck this year.

3 people like this.
  7. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Josepapa - Welcome.

My average date of first Morel find for 8 years for Franklin County, OH or Central OH is April 16.

For fun, last year I took the "rate of advancement of Spring Northward" of 17 miles per day and divided it into my distance north from the first Georgia Morel find to predict when they should start popping in Central OH and it was within 3 days timing, Ha!

There are so many ways that are good. How 'bout "Wait & file your taxes on the last day, April 15th" and then celebrate by going Morel Hunting the next day. That would put me right on my long term average "date of first find" of April 16th.

As postings increase here on the OH Forum, you may see relevant postings for farther south in OH.

All that said, however, an equally good question to ask others is how many trips into the woods do you make before you make your first find of the season.

Confession: for me it is typically 4-5.

After Morel season, remember that July is Chanterelle season. As a chef you should be aware of this. I can find 30 times more Chantereles and score 10 times out of 11 trips. Some people have expressed that they enjoy Chanterelles more that Morels.

Well . . . there'll always be heretics!! Ha. . . . Other wild mushrooms follow Chanterelles . . .
    and other Wild Mushrooms follow them . . .

Kym, Funginista and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

@sb Looks like I have a Love/Hate relationship with your posting:
    Love your content.
    Hate waiting 43 more days until they spring in my area of Wisconsin, based on 17 mile/day progression.

9. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Inthewild - Thanks. Yea! I get it.
    I think if we tallied the various Flags that people use and have shared on here for when it is time to go look for Morels, it would be over 25 -- and the cool thing is that probably they all work (most of the time) Ha!

Well, except that Tax filing deadline plus one day, for me. That is inflexible not like most natural signs which are all correlated together, because it is "just that time of the Spring". Yea!!!

Inthewild and (deleted member) like this.
  10. gutterman

Get couple jars every year at deer and turkey expo. Stuff is delicious and full of mushrooms. You literally get morels in every bite! Also has ten different mushrooms in it including lobster porcini chanterelle and other favorites. They have many flavors of salsa. Seasonal Selections Brand out of Waynesville Ohio. Worth the buy if your around that area in your BA8701BA-9785-4605-B80A-02858984E48B.jpeg 8B5C2AE6-341B-4DD2-838D-14CD3F60B48C.jpeg endeavors.

11. Kym

Kym Morel Connoisseur

Hey there! First thing I start to watch is the ground temps. There are some maps online that will tell you how warm it’s getting. 55 degrees is ideal. Also watch for signs in nature like tulips have bloomed, or the leaves on oak trees are about the size of a squirrels ear. Also watch for mayapples to start to flatten out. Couple warm sunny days and then a good rain...time to go!

1 person likes this.
  12. Kym

Kym Morel Connoisseur

I have read we are in for a good season because of some of the flooding we had this winter as well as several wind storms that brought down a lot of trees

1 person likes this.
  13. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Joepappa, what sb said. Also keep stopping in here. As the posts start coming in about finds, you can follow the progression northward. People have a bunch of different "indicators" they look for, but they are all tied to soil temp like Kym said. There's also the old saw that Ohio is like 2 states when it comes to morels. Ohio north of I-70 and Ohio south of I-70. I'm stuck up here in the frozen tundra of NE Ohio, so we're about the last to see them. I've found them as late as May 22 or 23.

And gutterman, that is wild. If you hadn't posted pics I might not have believed it!

14. shagbarkfarmohiollc

shagbarkfarmohiollc Morel Enthusiast

This is a useful page to help hunters: http://adamscoshroombuyer.com/morels.html

15. jashroomer

jashroomer Morel Connoisseur

I attended Denison U in Granville OH in the mid 80's, if you're on campus during the morel season, the woods above the football field was always great for morels. Most of the other students back then had no idea what morels were, they wouldn't eat any because they were afraid i was going to poison them. I said no problem, more for me.

3 people like this.
  16. Kym

Kym Morel Connoisseur

Is it time to hunt yet??!!! UGHHHHHHHH..... I’m impatient lol.

1 person likes this.
  17. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Same here, Kym! I'm at least liking the way the weather is going. Nice gradual warm up with no extremes so far.

Kym and Zabz like this.
  18. gutterman

D8921636-AA6B-4986-9FFE-8F7E1E61555B.png Shaping up to be a good season imo. Ground temps slowing pushing forward by the day. Southern Ohio hitting 40+ degree soil temps already. I’ll be headed down to my early spot expecting blacks and some grays in about 10-14 days. Happy hunting!

19. Kym

Kym Morel Connoisseur

Yes!! Let’s pray these temps stay steady. This next 7-10 days looks promising!

20. Cody Ward

Cody Ward Morel Enthusiast

Attn everyone: Has anyone ever hunted in the Shawnee State Park? or surrounding areas? Any idea of the soil type? Im in Toledo and taking a trip down there to give it a shot 2 weeks from today.