2019 Ohio Mushroom Thread

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by sb, Jan 19, 2019.

1. hugh

hugh Morel Connoisseur

I found about a dozen today, all around large dead ash. These ash trees have been dead for at least 2-3 years, but they are still producing --some quite a few. So don't give up on your ash trees right away after they've died. Sometimes the big ones produce quite a lot, almost IMG_2225.jpg the way dead elms do (last year I found about 30 around one recently dead ash)

2. Chris Morel

Chris Morel Young Morel

All our Ash are decimated here in Franklin County

1 person likes this.

3. Chris Morel

Chris Morel Young Morel

45F1B904-AB40-420F-920D-D71615E5FBB7.jpeg I did find some Pheasant Backs yesterday.

Denise Konk and (deleted member) like this.
  4. rmorrisonz

rmorrisonz Morel Enthusiast

Are those worth eating. I have tons of those laying around. Always heard you needed to skin them first

5. Chris Morel

Chris Morel Young Morel

I like them sautéed with onions and garlic. Still like Morels better!!

6. killtree

killtree Morel Enthusiast

Went back out to my spot in northern hocking county . Zero finds Tuesday. today 22 nice greys and 3 black.... all under dead elm clump that was about half de-barked. all down hill from the base of the tree 10 ft...

7. gutterman

gutterman Morel Connoisseur

Northern Ohio yesterday went to one of my early spots and saw 15 barely poking thru the ground so backed up quickly and left them be. Went to a honey hole of mine today in southern Ohio and found 72 this morning. Some big yellows mostly grays. Was fun day. Wish we could’ve gotten more but hunters were out everywhere today. Just happy to spend some time with my daughter “picking”

3 people like this.
  8. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

We got some more rain, and Wed, Thurs, and Fri this week are looking ideal temp wise. Wed I plan to just hike 2 tracks through the woods, Scanning the edges and covering some ground. I'll slow down in interesting looking spots to have a closer look.

And good tip gutterman. I'll have to remember to take my hunter orange cap and wear it while I'm out there.

9. hugh

hugh Morel Connoisseur

I am still finding them in Franklin county around very dead ash, even those dead for several years. mostly the really big ones

1 person likes this.
  10. gutterman

I was talking about mushroom hunters not the turkey hunters piss on them. If they shoot at a 6’1” 250 pound man they shouldn’t have a gun in there hands and better hope they kill me lol

HawkeyeMerkels likes this.
  11. gutterman

Those are from southern Ohio trip.

Attached Files:

5 people like this.
  12. gutterman

That’s northern Ohio pics. Just starting barely poking thru ground. Caps not even all the way out yet

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  13. Gone pickin

Gone pickin Morel Enthusiast

I like to add phe

14. gutterman

4D992F46-3BCA-45A1-B0A8-174DAC93656D.png Can you see it? I love when I pick em like this!

15. Dhunter

Dhunter Morel Connoisseur

Is there more than one. I only see the 1 grey

1 person likes this.
  16. Dhunter

What county ate you hunting in. Its a little early up hete in seneca county

17. gutterman

Nope just the one but love picking them off of mossy rocks. Picked half dozen like that today. No tree necessary lol. The pictures of the ones barely starting are couple counties north of Seneca..Seneca should have some out but have not looked in that area so not sure. But if they are there they are small..

1 person likes this.
  18. bluetick1921

bluetick1921 Morel Connoisseur

What part of northern ohio you in

19. bluetick1921

bluetick1921 Morel Connoisseur

Happy easter to all my fellow mushroom hunters if the good lord is willing and the creeks dont rise they will start popping in my area Monday my day out good luck to all

1 person likes this.
  20. Dhunter

W
    What counties south of here are producing picking sized mushrooms now. Thinking of driving south tomorrow to hunt.