2019 Ohio Mushroom Thread

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by sb, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Brucellium

Brucellium Morel Enthusiast

IMG_1223.JPG No morels, but....

IrishTrish likes this.
  2. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I have never heard of such a thing! Can you explain where you got such an idea?

3. jpfootball57

jpfootball57 Morel Enthusiast

I agree with dhunter. I don’t think it will negatively affect morels when leaving a stump behind seeing how unpicked morels seem to naturally deteriorate from mold and fungus. I would think uprooting would negatively affect the mycelium much more than cutting.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dhunter

Dhunter Morel Connoisseur

5. Dhunter

I have always left stumps behind in my whole mushroom hunting career and i will never stop doing that unless you can show me a better way. Until then leave it all behind.

Joe88 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Dhunter

Thanks jp

1 person likes this.
  7. Dhunter

Same reason we carry mesh bags. Explain your reasoning man.

Joe88 likes this.
  8. Joe88

Joe88 Morel Enthusiast

I was taught years ago to leave a stump..and use a mesh bag..I understand the mesh bag and letting the spores fall as you walk...BUT I've never really understood the science behind the stump and how it effects the mycelium:( if someone can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated ;)

9. xrandog

xrandog Morel Enthusiast

Upper Miami Co. in our woods. Everything was just breaking ground, lots of them 0422191011.jpg 0422191018.jpg 0422191102.jpg 0422191102a.jpg . Decided to mark them, back out, and give them a few days. Looks real promising, if we have the patience to wait. Tomorrow is our spot in Montgomery Co. Update then.

10. jpfootball57

jpfootball57 Morel Enthusiast

From what I understand the mycelium is attached to the mushroom like an apple to an apple tree. The more dirt that you pull up when picking your shroom the more mycelium will be destroyed. Haven’t heard a study on the full negative affects of this but will continue to cut mine until I hear otherwise. Hope this helps

Joe88 likes this.
  11. Photochef

Photochef Young Morel

Looks like mica caps. Often have fine "mica" like granules on the caps. They are, in fact in the same family as other inky caps.

HawkeyeMerkels likes this.
  12. Joe88

Joe88 Morel Enthusiast

Thank you football57! :)

1 person likes this.
  13. xrandog

xrandog Morel Enthusiast

I believe these are pheasant backs. 1st time picking. Can somebody give me the recipe again. Can't find it on here. IMG_20190423_113846.jpg

14. Taymad97

Taymad97 Young Morel

Any finds in NW Ohio yet? I've been it several times with no luck at all yet.

15. Zabz

Zabz Morel Connoisseur

Probably someone picking somebody else's secret honey hole.:p

16. billyraybar

billyraybar Morel Enthusiast

I'm in the Toledo area. None for me either. I figure the grays will be up later this week. Will be going out tomorrow to see if there are any "early birds."

Taymad97 likes this.
  17. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

Late to Party but Agree with @shroomsearcher & @Photochef. LBMs, if had to "GUESS" on id from provided photo, refer to Coprinellus Micaceus.

18. Joe88

Joe88 Morel Enthusiast

I'm in the Urbana area, Champaign county..there poppin in my area.good luck

Taymad97 likes this.
  19. thunter

thunter Morel Connoisseur

Today's haul from south central OH, right around 6 lbs., blacks are all but peaked out, still might find some in decent shape closer to bottoms, found a decent amount of halfrees and hopefully with a little rain and sunshine there will be one last good flush for them along with the season ending tulips. Getting grown up a little in most of my spots, I think next week will be it for me.

IMG_0141.JPG