2019 Ohio Mushroom Thread

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by sb, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Jomacooso

Jomacooso Morel Enthusiast

Last year I didn’t find them until the last week in April. Same spot btw

2. Zabz

Zabz Morel Connoisseur

Same time here, I wonder what's happening out there, daffodils are up, no may apples though.

3. grizzly adams

grizzly adams Morel Enthusiast

What county are you in ?

4. Jomacooso

Trumbull

1 person likes this.
  5. Zabz

Zabz Morel Connoisseur

I just hit my early spot in Medina County. Nothing, the ramps are barely peeking out. At least another week if not two, IMO in Medina and Summit Co. No snakes, no bugs, no may apples....could be different elsewhere around here.

6. Medinacountybrian

Medinacountybrian Morel Enthusiast

I’m out in Seville in Medina County we definitely have ramps but no signs of morels yet.

Zabz likes this.
  7. Joe88

Joe88 Morel Enthusiast

Champaign county here ...nothing yet,won't be long :)

8. John Wasko

John Wasko Morel Enthusiast

I’m in lake County and hammered over 300 last year but didn’t start finding them until May 1st. That lake really keeps the temps down until late April/early May for us. I plan on taking a hike tomorrow and will report back. Not expecting too much.

9. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I noticed that there's as little green showing in your woods as there is in mine! Is that an ash tree in the second pic? Nice going!

10. Mutley

Mutley Morel Enthusiast

Im in clermont county, found 3 blacks in sciota county over this past weekend and 1 grey yesterday here in clermont, i own property in NKY and nothing there as of yet.

11. Brucellium

Brucellium Morel Enthusiast

Hi everyone, just getting into the mushroom thing. Started last year and enjoyed some coral, lions mane, hens ,and chanterelles. Expanding to morels this year. I've gone on 2 five mile treks here in columbiana county. Nothing yet as of my last walk today. I'll try again in a couple of days. Hoping for rain. Any tips would be appreciated as far as type of trrrain that's best, especially early on. Thanks, Bruce

12. Medinacountybrian

Medinacountybrian Morel Enthusiast

Look around dying ash, elm, tulip poplar trees, and in moist areas. Honestly it’s just putting time in the woods in different areas and covering a lot of ground. I have found them on the sides of railroad tracks, growing in in a little mulch bed in the middle of a parking lot at a park. Once I walked my moms woods for thee hours only to find about 30 of them growing around her burn pile walking back to the house. I have psyched my self out a little by starting to look way too early, so don’t be discouraged you will find them.

13. Jomacooso

you know I’m not great at identifying trees yet, I thought it was a slippery elm but now that you say that it looks like an ash. Their is a tiny dead elm close to it as well. Next to rail road tracks

14. Brandon45113

Brandon45113 Morel Enthusiast

Hey just checking in. Went to my spot in southern Clermont county yesterday because I find them there first. Found 6 small fingernail size greys. Searched pretty well and thats all i seen. I let them be and will go back in a few days Going to hit my Warren County spot after work today to have a look around... I'll report my findings if any.

Jomacooso likes this.
  15. Brandon45113

Was on break and ran across this image on imgur. Thought you guys would enjoy it.

Attached Files:

16. Outdrzman

Outdrzman Young Morel

Thanks! I'm familiar with the wild onions that pop up all over. Even have a patch that grows in my yard.

Foraging is rather new to me. Never thought of eating them. Seems obvious now! Something new to try...

17. jpfootball57

jpfootball57 Morel Enthusiast

Outdrzman......you are proly referring to wild green onions if they are growing in your yard. Ramps look like very thick leafed grass that are usually found in very mature hardwoods. In southern ohio there are only a handful of woods I have found them. In some places in eastern ohio an eval they grow like wildfire! Do some research and try to find some. They are delicious when sautéed with salt, pepper, and olive oil! Good luck

Outdrzman likes this.
  18. Brandon45113

They are abundant at fort ancient state park. Also found many at ceasers creek amd cowan lake state parks.

19. IrishTrish

IrishTrish Morel Enthusiast

Spent 4 hours in my woods at the muskingum/Coshocton county boarder today. No luck. Things are starting to get kinda dry. Really need that rain tomorrow!
    Happy hunting ya'll!!

Brandon45113 and BB2887 like this.
  20. edgemre

edgemre Morel Enthusiast

Went to one of my spots in Greene county just to see what it was looking like. Some very baby Grey's were growing. This is about a week earlier than last year for the same place. IMG_20190411_120736233_HDR.jpg

Brandon45113 and Jomacooso like this.