2019 - Ohio Summer & Fall

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by sb, Jul 21, 2019.

1. MorelMe330

MorelMe330 Morel Enthusiast

We've dried about 5lbs now and no problems. My 2 cents is anything that looks weird or don't trust pitch it! Not worth the risk. Cheers and happy hunting!

2. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

OK. Maybe I'll put one of the brown ones in water and see what happens.

Anyway, I'm hoping to find more. We had about an inch of rain over the last 2 days. Hopefully that helped out all the little pins in the woods that was just crackly dry! We were supposed to get more today, but the weather people didn't know what they were talking about! This was one of the nicest days we've had this Summer!

1 person likes this.

3. morelseeeker

morelseeeker Morel Connoisseur

I've had one or two small one get dark but the rest were good. I just tossed the dark ones.

1 person likes this.
  4. shroomsearcher

Well, a pretty meager harvest today. Found about enough for a skillet full, but that's about it! This last little rain didn't do much. Woods are still very dry.

1 person likes this.
  5. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

My experience with Chantrelles is not to dry them. (I got this advice from G. Lincoff book) They don't reconstitute well; kinda like leather! The best way is to quickly par boil them and then freeze them. That way they retain their flavor and texture and will be chewable.(not leathery) However, when I used to try drying them, I found it much better to put them on window screens and set them next to my wood stove to dry slowly. I found the dehydrator seemed to over-dry the bottom racks, (especially if you don't alternate your racks during drying) and the Chants on the bottom would get darker and discolored. I don't think it had to do with their age, just too much drying too quick, and too close to the heating element. Well, that's my two cents! Hope it helps a little! Happy Shroomin'....

6. MorelMe330

Found some nice oysters.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  7. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Hocking County OH

Thursday morning, yesterday, I got out to Hocking County on a Spring Water run.

Tender young Chicken of the Woods within 70 ft of the Spring.

DSC00730.JPG

Chanterelles are starting to get into later season.

Still, I found 15 or so (about 1 in 12) that were fist sized and still moist, including this composition of the first 4 below. It doesn't take many of these to make a dinner.

DSC00739.JPG

MorelMe330 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

The 3 Shastas.jpg View attachment 23106 View attachment 23106
    Those ARE some nice size Chants! Man, it's cool to see all the shrooms you guys are finding in the 'mid-US' states, (although I'm feeling a little jealous and left out! lol) Last night the temperature only got down to 83F before the sun started coming up again! Today it was 105F but the weather guys say we'll be having a cooling down to @ 94F in a couple days.(BFD) I'm gonna try to get up to the mountains to see if a recent 24 hr. thunderstorm dumped enough rain to help. I'll post any worthwhile findings. I live in a beautiful area but it's hotter than hell all summer! Last year we had 31 days in a row over 100F and 10 of those were over 110F, so I'm not complainin', ( but I'm ready for fall!) but it sure stops the mushrooms from sprouting here under 1000ft. elevation. More good luck to you all and keep the photos coming! It'll help get me through 'till fall! Happy Shroomin'...

1 person likes this.
  9. jg010682

jg010682 Morel Connoisseur

How are you guys not melting out there in that heat 90s is usually about at hot as it gets here in mn every once in a wile we hit 100 but this summer has been unusually cooler and im not complaining at all other than the skeeters have been terible here oh well found some sweet tooth this moring though 20190818_084147.jpg

1 person likes this.
  10. MorelMe330

Found some very fresh and delicious pheasant back today. Strange.

1 person likes this.
  11. MorelMe330

More chicken.

Attached Files:

12. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Shroomsearcher, what do you do with them after you dry them. I make powders to use in all sorts of things. IMG_20190319_113032.jpg

2 people like this.
  13. MorelMe330

Nice find on a bike ride.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  14. shroomsearcher

Well, I haven't done anything with them yet, since these are the first Chants I've ever found! Thinking about cues given to me on this forum, I decided to hike a hardwood ridge that I know of and I found them. What's nice is that this is in a public park, and there is a trail along that ridge that leads to a waterfall overlook. I spotted tons of Chants from that trail. Some just a few feet away from it. Makes it extremely easy to scout. I'll start a little earlier next year, although this year seemed a little weird. I'd find big, adult Chants that were dried up, or tons of spikes that were too small to pick!

Is there something about the Chant lifespan that I don't understand?

1 person likes this.
  15. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Chanterelles in my area usually run into late Sept , early October. However, this season has been crazy in Northern Michigan. They started out better than I've seen in years, then with no rain, they died right out. Don't know if more rain will bring them back or not.

1 person likes this.
  16. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

I like the new "mug shot" Jack!! Ha!

1 person likes this.
  17. MorelMe330

Found a beautiful stump today.

Attached Files:

18. shroomsearcher

More news on the Chant front. We got a pretty good rain Wednesday night into Thursday morning, and Thursday was cloudy and cool, with the occasion sprinkle. So I decided to head back to that hardwood ridge today. Walking in on the trail I was finding dried up crumbly remnants, and nothing good. I was almost ready to give up and head back. Then I decided to check one little slope that hat treated me well last time. I'm glad I did. Chants all over the place, at least for what I know! Nice big ones, the biggest I've found so far, and tons of little pins which I left in the ground. I'll be going back Sunday or Monday to see what happens.

I'll also be trying @jdaniels313's suggestion to quickly parboil them and then freeze. I dehydrated the last batch. BTW, I only had enough to fill the top 2 trays out of 5, and some of them still went dark brown. I threw them out. I would ask about how long do you parboil them? I have a pasta cooker with the basket that fits inside the pot, so I can drop them straight into boiling water.

Anyway, this has been very gratifying. I've added another edible mushroom to my life list.

1 person likes this.