2019 PA BOLETE STUDY

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Jun 21, 2019.

1. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

A place to post are Bolete finds. Always looking to expand my knowledge on Boletes. Happy Hunting!

1 person likes this.
  2. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Does this mean we'll FIND boletes this summer? It's been a while for me...

1 person likes this.

3. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Check the Ohio page. A guy posted a pic of boletes found in Hocking Co. recently. He posted a link to wpamushroomclub.org which he used to identify a couple of his finds as "spotted boletes" a Xanthoconium affine variation. A choice edible. And he STRONGLY recommended bookmarking that link.

beagleboy and Jmay like this.
  4. Jmay

Jmay Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the link.
    I have been curious on some boletus buttons I found last year but never looked them up. They may very well be spotted bolete. I will post on i.d forum, but kind of got excited when I opened that link thanks for posting it.
    20180729_194207.jpg 20190621_214047.jpg
    20180729_160751.jpg

5. Jmay

Jmay Morel Enthusiast

Oh shoot!! This is a pa bolete study I just noticed. Admins can delete, wont hurt my feelings at all. Sorry

1 person likes this.
  6. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Hi all. I'm reposting over here because the latitude (39.39N) of my finds and topography share much with similar in PA.

Hocking County, SE OH
    Bolete Mushrooms were starting to show up yesterday in my tramp through the woods after getting my 50 gal spring water load for the next 6 weeks.

[​IMG]
    See the two speckled or spotted Boletes above? I opened the Bolete Identification Reference at this web address below:
    https://boletes.wpamushroomclub.org
    and searched and found the speckled Bolete, identified as a "Spotted Bolete" a "choice edible".

(pic below, 1 of many, from id page)
    https://boletes.wpamushroomclub.org/product/xanthoconium-affine/
    [​IMG]
    Xanthoconium affine variations (“Spotted Bolete”)

You can filter the Boletes 8 different ways.
    I recommend bookmarking this reference site.

7. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

Shroomsearcher, I really have trouble identifying boletes and never have tried eating any. Thanks for posting this and I really appreciate the time and effort the wpa mushroom club went to set this up. I went through the filter on a bolete I found last year and then looked it up in one of my books, it was so much easier than just trying to key it out. I may just get brave enough to try eating one this year. Thanks trahn for starting this thread again this year.

3 people like this.
  8. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Beagle, one thing to keep in mind here in the east is that technically, one or two boletes are poisonous enough to make you pretty sick (but are not deadly), maybe a couple-few that might give you an upset stomach, then 5-10 bitter ones that are unpalatable. After that, some that are unremarkable or not recommended to eat, and then a whole bunch of edibles. I've had a few cases when I narrowed down to 3 species and they were all edible, so I ate them, with delicious results :p

If you collect boletes and can get photos of the cap, the pores and the stalk, and then post them here while refrigerating the mushrooms, I/we will do our best to help get delicious mushrooms onto your taste buds :)

Kokomorel, beagleboy, Jmay and 3 others like this.
  9. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Jmay - Boletes just don't pay attention to state lines, Ha, ha!

Really great pic you posted of your Bolete finds last year in MI, it appears.

10. Jmay

Jmay Morel Enthusiast

Thanks sb
    So true on the state line.
    And yes michigan it was. You all have a nice season down that way.

2 people like this.
  11. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Thanks, and you too have a great season.
    My Bolete finds inspired me to bake a King Bolete White Pizz last night (Pics of how we prepare... thread)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  12. shroomsearcher

I know what you mean. I can find them like crazy, but IDing them positively is another story! Also, I've never found any that look as nice as the pics that Jmay and sb posted. Man! Some of Jmay's looked an awful lot like kings!

I have picked up some tips here, like taking a quick bite and chew, and then spitting it out to check for bitterness. That's a nice field check to eliminate some candidates immediately. I've harvested some, done bruise testing and spore checking, and still never worked up the nerve to actually try to eat one! Maybe this year will turn the trick.

I remain in search of the ever elusive king! I have read and heard that they like a beech woods. I remember where there was big beech woods locally. Huge, old trees! I'll have to drive by and hope it hasn't succumbed to housing!

13. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Not just for PA. Would be great if everybody joined in. Just post your state they where found. I just like to track the PA flushes thru the seasons. Happy Hunting!

14. Jmay

Jmay Morel Enthusiast

Thank you trahn008 and sb.
    I would love to learn about various Bolete's across the states.

2 people like this.
  15. shroomsearcher

I was able to get out for a brief look today before brunch with most of my sibs and some of my cousins. Didn't find a sign of anything, but that's not really surprising. I don't usually find boletes until mid or late July. It seems like it needs to be hot! No sign of chickens either, even where I've found them before.

16. Jmay

Jmay Morel Enthusiast

Same here for me in n.e lower michigan, mid to late July for boletes.

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  17. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Where I found them last week in SE Ohio, latitude-wise, would equate to the very southern border of PA (39+ degrees N). That most of what I found were just small knobs, that I didn't pick, told me Central OH is yet to come, for me.

My challenge here in Central OH is nailing the "window of opportunity" because as I find them here, they will progress fast and move beyond the unfurled cap to a pancake and bug ridden in just 2-3 daysl.

I now have a dehydrator to use and I'm going to try the Mushroom Bacon Crisp recipe that is wonderful for Shiitake on Bay Boletes if i'm timely ang get some bountiful picks of these.

Gotta be in tune this year. Someone just posted in Ohio Forum that "Chanterelles are poppin in Central OH". That's 3 weeks ahead of my norm -- I'm going out tomorrow after grocery shopping.
    Good luck to all . . .

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  18. shroomsearcher

Yeah, I've found lots of bug riddled boletes the past couple of years. Especially the stems, they were just drilled full of holes! Also found some covered in a blue-green mold. Just heard a weather blurb on TV that's calling for temps in the upper 80's later this week. Maybe that will get things popping. Meanwhile, it's raining here again, but not hard. The worst of it slid by us to the South.

19. Ron Day

Ron Day Morel Enthusiast

Glad I saw this post, chanterelle, suillus and Boletes are about all I eat all summer and this post reminded me it's past time to get out in the woods and start looking. Went camping last weekend and saw a few green russula. For what it is worth several suillus and boletes are mediocre fresh but AMAZING once dried and rehydrated in soups and sauces.

20. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Ron Day - You bring up a worthwhile point regarding some mushrooms being better after being dehydrated!! Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Jmay and (deleted member) like this.