2019 PA BOLETE STUDY

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Jun 21, 2019.

1. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Umm...what happened to the 2019 Summer Mushrooms thread?

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  2. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

It's a shame! The mods do the best they can. The owner needs to set up a better system period! I think the owner just doesn't care. It's a great system we do all the work and they profit and don't listen to feedback. Was once a great site, sad to say not so anymore! Happy Hunting!

3. steelernation

I can't believe how difficult it seems to be. I've never seen a site hacked like this before.

That said, we had none of the luck that ajack had over the weekend. We went just a little further north of where he had his lucky spots and we had just about nothing in the chant department. Did find maybe 1/2 a pound of black trumpets that were still useable. A few black velvet boletes (I think...haven't keyed them yet). Plenty of non-edibles on our drive and hike, but the woods were too wet and muddy for anything else.

4. ajack

ajack Morel Enthusiast

All the Chants I've found so far have been on well draining ridges around oaks with rocky soil and grasses.

1 person likes this.
  5. steelernation

Nice. From the regions you described, I had some vague idea of places you could be, but I don't have the time to get to them, I don't think. Even the upland areas with well-draining soil and a little rock were swampy yesterday. 2" of rain will do that :p

6. DanCB

DanCB Morel Enthusiast

"All the Chants I've found so far have been on well draining ridges around oaks with rocky soil and grasses."

What kind are you finding? I've been picking lots of smooth chants in an environment you describe. I'm picking far fewer golden chants elsewhere.

7. ajack

ajack Morel Enthusiast

Most all are smooths Cantharellus lateritius

8. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

I have been finding a few smooth chanterelles. Also some amanita's and lots of coral mushrooms in Snyder and Mifflin counties. IMG_4001.JPG IMG_3998.JPG IMG_3997.JPG IMG_3996.JPG

9. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

beagleboy likes this.
  10. beagleboy

redfred, yes it is a canon powershot a710 that I had for years. It had quit on me earlier in the spring, so I picked up a newer canon on ebay and as soon as I received it I rapped my old one on my desk and It started working again. So I will use it till it stops again.

11. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

Sometimes just the threat of the 20 oz. repair tool is enough to slap most electronic devices into submission..... but a wrap on the table will tell them who is boss......good luck....

12. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

That's exactly the situation I found my first ever Chants in the other day. All within 10 ft of the base of a large red oak. I went in there because I had found boletes there in years past. Unfortunately, I found the Chants too late, they were dried up and over the hill. We had a little rain this afternoon. Do you think that might get more to pop? There weren't that many, only 9 or 10 shrooms. Would have made a nice small skillet full.

DSCN0403.JPG

DSCN0404.JPG

13. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

here in s. mi. I find chants til nearly sept.

14. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Good to know! I'll keep looking!

15. beagleboy

I found an area that had a fair amount of these today. The stem were buggy but the caps didn't look like they were infested. I used the bolete filter to key them out and came up with three possibilities, all were edible. Sorry about the picture of the stem, the flash went off and I didn't know it was washed out like that. IMG_4042.JPG IMG_4043.JPG

2 people like this.
  16. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Been out on the quad with Benny and have notice some bolete's starting, haven't pick any yet but bolete study thread should start getting some post's really soon. Beagle what type's did you come up with?? I have some Idea's. Happy Hunting!

17. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

I was out in Hocking County OH yesterday (similar topography to much of PA) and the Boletes were starting there too.

18. beagleboy

When I used the stem with reticulation on it, it came up with one, boletus nobilissimus. When I used scabers or dark markings on the stem three names came up leccinum vulpinum, leccinum picinum, and leccinum holopus. Actually when I looked at the pictures the leccinum holopus was the closest but it said that it's common name was the birch bolete and there were no birch in the area, just Norway spruce. I did the taste and spit test and to me it was sweet. I tried a spore print but it didn't take. Nothing stained any color. Any help is appreciated.

19. beagleboy

I found a lot of boletes yesterday but they were old and buggy IMG_4065.JPG IMG_4066.JPG IMG_4067.JPG IMG_4068.JPG

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  20. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

Just curious if anyone knows if these are boletes? If not maybe you could identify them. Stumbled across them a couple weeks ago while checking a trailcamera. They were under oak trees not right next to them but in the open. There were prob 30 spread across a 20' area. Looked like they had been there a bit. Some animals seemed to like them they had all been chewed on. Not an expert on summertime mushrooms but always looking to learn something new. Thanks for any input.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.