2019 PA BOLETE STUDY

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Jun 21, 2019.

1. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

Kbshroom, those are in the bolete genus.If you look back in this thread to the third post, shroomsearcher posted a link that goes to a bolete filter. It is really easy to use, but I still don't feel sure enough to eat any of them yet.

2. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

Thanks beagleboy much appreciated. I will check out that post for sure. And I don't eat anything I'm not positive of myself. Nice to have someone show you that has been doing it for years if possible.

3. Jmay

Jmay Morel Enthusiast

Kings are finally popping in northern mi. It has been a terrible year for boletes up here until a week ago.
    20190922_135244.jpg

4. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Ohh...that's not fair... :p

5. Jmay

Jmay Morel Enthusiast

:D I know lol...I feel the same way when others are getting these big Hen of the woods finds. Up in n.e michigan not many hens at all.:(

6. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

OMG! I am so jealous! Looked for those since I've been hunting shrooms and never found a single one!

7. Jmay

Jmay Morel Enthusiast

Hey S.S
    If you have any Balsum fir woods or even a few Norway's I'd be checking them out. I have never found a Edulis var. In the hardwoods before, but many do..just not me. Goodluck!!
    20190922_182341.jpg

8. shroomsearcher

I've also heard that they are fond of a Beech woods. I know where there is, or was, a big old Beech forest in the south county. I'll have to cruise by and hope it hasn't been turned into a housing development. Balsam Fir and Norway Pines are a little scarce around here. We're dominated by hardwoods for the most part. Driving up through Michigan to go fishing in Canada, I noticed you come to an area where Michigan starts looking a whole lot like Canada! A lot more evergreens and aspen and popple woods.

Jmay and Kokomorel like this.
  9. MRFCookCounty

MRFCookCounty Morel Enthusiast

There are tons of boletes. Based on the picture and under oak:

If they have drab olive spores and bruise bluish they're likely Boletus pseudosensibilis

If they really bruise bluish they're likely
    Boletus sensibilis

Check here for more details.
    mushroomexpert dot com/boletus_pseudosensibilis

10. shroomsearcher

Oh, I know there are tons of them. That's why I've never been comfortable enough with a bolete ID to try eating any. I may have found some of the boletes you described. A couple years ago while playing golf, I hit a bad drive into the edge of a woods on the course. The floor had been all cleared out to make it easy to find a ball in there, so after playing my second shot I took a quick look around. There were big boletes all over the place! I found one in prime condition and picked it to take home and spore print. When I showed my buddy I saw that it had bruised blue like crazy. The slightest touch would make it bruise blue. I had read somewhere to avoid boletes that bruised blue, so I chucked it in the woods somewhere else on the course.

BTW, this golf course is one of the "shroomiest" places I have ever found. They are everywhere out there. On the right hand side of a par 5, there are free-standing trees maples as I recall, in the rough beyond which is the heavy woods. On several of them were growing big oysters! I went and checked them, but they were all over the hill! Even if they were prime, I wasn't equipped for gathering mushrooms.

11. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

you need to be careful eating shrooms from the golf course. they put a lot of chemicals out there to make the grass pretty!

12. Osroc76

Osroc76 Morel Enthusiast

I would send to agree about the chemicals... And also not being equipped to harvest mushrooms is when you find the most haha!

13. shroomsearcher

I understand that, but this is hardly a country club type of layout, more of a "farm country" course. Just like the city park where I find pinkies. The city of Youngstown is lucky to have the money for gas and wages to keep the grass cut! so I know they're not putting herbicides, pesticides or fertilizers on it.

1 person likes this.
  14. Osroc76

Osroc76 Morel Enthusiast

Are you from Youngstown?

15. shroomsearcher

Yes. Or, as the bumpersticker says, "Stuck in Youngstown!"

16. Osroc76

Osroc76 Morel Enthusiast

Nice. I'm not far from there! About 45 minutes