2019 PA MOREL FINDS

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

I hope the season goes a little longer I've been hunting like a mad man. The women hates this time of year because everyday she's on tick patrol. Pulled 1 out of me last night lol

bkos, beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Jamesh

Jamesh Morel Enthusiast

IMG_1367.JPG
    Found one this AM, southface of Jacks mountain, north side of a poplar. Growing solitary, not more than 12" from the trunk- looked like it' had been up for a week.
    Looked carefully for more, to no avail.

3. fulltiltbozo

fulltiltbozo Morel Enthusiast

i don't worry myself with the changing classifications. to me there are blacks, yellows, tulips, and halves.

4. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

I found 22 today on a south facing slope in Mifflin co and could only use 3. They were all very old. Tomorrow will try a north facing slope that has produced in the past. I tried to take some pictures with my cell but they were very blurry so I didn't post them. My wife says I shake too much when I snap the picture but I tell her its the camera, I guess I need to get a camera with an image stabilizer feature like my last one had.

5. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

Yea its that time of year. Hope to get another week if we get some rain. It's just too dry right now.[/QUOTE]

beagleboy likes this.
  6. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I've been wondering the same thing myself! I live in NE Ohio, but do some hunting in Lawrence Co. I found some the first couple times out. About the earliest I've ever found them here. I left some small ones and went back and found them, but there were no new flushes! Even though we had some rain and pretty close to ideal temps.

There was a poster on the Ohio boards, also in NE Ohio, who felt much the same. Said it seemed like the "season" was the blink of an eye! I'm not giving up yet. The latest I've found morels on that property was May 23, and I've seen no sign of the late season, "bigfoot" morels yet!

beagleboy likes this.
  7. Jamesh

Jamesh Morel Enthusiast

IMG_1369.JPG IMG_1372.JPG IMG_1374.JPG IMG_1377.JPG

Mifflin co.

Wish I got here last week. Most were pretty far gone, maybe 1 wk+ old

Streamside,
    All within couple feet of ash.

8. beagleboy

They look same as what I was finding yesterday. I hope the north facing slopes are a little behind. Last year the week after Mothers day was very good for me, and I thought this season was about a week ahead of last year but this week I found a lot of bigfoots. Some of my spots didn't flush yet so I still have hope. One spot has been very consistent every year.

9. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

Quick question to the hunters with many more years of experience. I have found around 5 new areas this year that produce. Is it worth my time to recheck the areas after a rain? Or search for fresh flushes? I have to make my time count. Thank you. Do areas typically flush twice. These areas are all elms thanks.

10. Morelevant

Morelevant Morel Enthusiast

That can go either way in my experience. Flip a coin. How many were there the first time around?

1 person likes this.
  11. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

Slippery elm area 1 around 12 been back there nothing yet
    Slippery elm 2 around 30 yellows haven't been back since a rain
    Slippery elm 3 15 yellows not been back yet
    Than area 4 over 60 morels some big some small no idea why they grew here on a hillside with some type of bush. Best area I ever found.

Morelevant likes this.
  12. Morelevant

I’d go to 4 and 2 in that order if you are short on time.

13. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

Sounds like a plan thank you sir

Morelevant likes this.
  14. Morelevant

Let me know how it works out

15. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

I will I went to check one of my other spots and couldn't get access because of road work. Real bummer there. The old apple orchard I hunted for years was logged out and since then hadn't produced. I've been looking more than pick ing this year but that's the only way to find better spots.

Morelevant likes this.
  16. beagleboy

I spent 3hrs in a spot today that is normally later than most of my spots. I was late, found 128 and could only use 15. I should have skipped a couple of new spots and picked this one last week. I got my camera working again, I don't know for how long though. IMG_3939.JPG IMG_3946.JPG IMG_3935.JPG IMG_3937.JPG

Jamesh, Morelevant, Pan0606 and 7 others like this.
  17. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

Today's finds found new spot. Salvaged what I could

PickinFungi and Morelevant like this.
  18. pchunter1231

pchunter1231 Morel Connoisseur

Strange year this year. 5 of my spots did not produce 1 morel this year. I have been checking every 2 days plus other areas. I have found only 35 but i am crossing my fingers my one spot flushed in the last few days. For some reason when everyone else says the yellows are done in our area i will check that spot and there will be fresh morels for the picking. Haven't checked this spot since Wednesday so hoping for the best.

19. PickinFungi

PickinFungi Morel Enthusiast

Laurel mountain ridge. My first find after 3 years searching!!! No others though.
    KIMG1840.JPG

Blue foot, Jamesh, Morelevant and 5 others like this.