2019 PA MOREL FINDS

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Mar 17, 2019.

1. PickinFungi

PickinFungi Morel Enthusiast

Nice!

2. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

Thank you I've always lurked here just joined recently. You've been a treasure trove of knowledge through the years thanks.

PickinFungi and Morelevant like this.

3. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I don't know if "typically" is the word to use, but it can happen. I would say to go back and recheck even if the shrooms you found weren't morels! I found a nice flush of morels under an elm where I had previously found a big flush of mica caps. The mica caps died back, and the morels came on.

There can be multiple mycelia in one area, or a singular mycelium responding to different stimuli.

I don't know about tomorrow, but keep looking! My last hunt was a total bust, but I'm not giving up. We are cooling down again, so the soil temps will drop. So, they have a chance to warm up again, and hopefully, prompt another flush.

We'll see what happens.

PickinFungi likes this.
  4. Jamesh

Jamesh Morel Enthusiast

Those laurel ridge morels look pretty primo

Morelevant and PickinFungi like this.
  5. Jamesh

Jamesh Morel Enthusiast

If they look like that I would keep looking. Couldn't make it out today, but Im stuck for tomorrow. Fishing or morel hunting? The sulphur flies are showing up!

6. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

There's a funny story behind this find earlier in the week. I'm walking with my girlfriend at a local park looking in the woods the whole time. (I'm not supposed to be mushroom hunting now lol) I see this patch off the road, without thinking I dive into some thorns .I turn around with 4 morels in my hand when the parents of the local little league team are all looking at me like I'm crazy. I just keep picking because easy finds are few and far between. I hear a kid ask his dad what's that man doing his dad's responds he's picking gold. I laughed with my girlfriend the whole walk back while using her shirt as a makeshift basket. Just thought I'd share this because it's funny. IMG_20190506_202928_01.jpg

Morelevant, Gibz, PickinFungi and 9 others like this.
  7. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Pan, I hope she had a bra on!! LOL

8. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

Lol she had a under shirt

9. Hustler

Hustler Morel Enthusiast

I’m curious how far everyone has to commute (by foot) to get to their favorite morel patches? My knee is currently giving me trouble so I can’t journey very far to find new ground. Me thinks a beginner like myself should be able to put in a few miles to have much success. Thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  10. trahn008

Hustler, My best mushrooms spots (ALL MUSHROOMS) my walks are on average 6 to 12 feet from any and ALL roadways (DEAD SERIOUS).. Happy Hunting!

11. hoblershang

hoblershang Morel Connoisseur

I second that.

12. Blue foot

Blue foot Morel Enthusiast

It is usually a must, unless you get lucky, in which case, you may not be the only one that looks there. Don't pass it up, though. I just beat my body up, again, for a chance at a yellow or two. Half a dozen bigfoots made it worth it. Biggest one is 8"x 3 and 4 oz:) Good find, for me, keeps me in the game. Pics l8r. Good luck. Don't get lost!

Hustler and (deleted member) like this.
  13. trahn008

Hobler, good to hear from ya. How is your season going? Was heading to NY on Saturday morning, but I'm out of gas. Hope you folks have a good season. Happy Hunting!

14. pchunter1231

pchunter1231 Morel Connoisseur

It greened up pretty fast this year. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I checked a lot of elms this year more than i want to admit lol. I think i do more scouting for potential morel spots than i do deer scouting lol. Happy hunting

Morelevant likes this.
  15. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

trahn, that song brings back memories all good!

1 person likes this.
  16. Blue foot

17. Blue foot

whoops. Anyway I know I do more scouting for morels than deer and turkey combined. Financially, it is not a sound plan:)

Morelevant and Jamesh like this.
  18. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

I found this single morel in front of this dead pine. I have heard of some finding morels associated with pine but I am not sure if this one was. It was only about 5ft from the pine, but there was a dead elm about 20ft away and I know elm roots will extend much farther than that. IMG_3944.JPG

19. Hustler

Hustler Morel Enthusiast

After getting skunked on 3 occasions I was starting to suspect I was pretty lucky to have found 6 biggies on my second day out. They were delicious! It’s hard to take it easy when there might be another beauty around the next tree! Hopefully my knee will allow to venture farther in a couple days and that maybe we can expect a little longer season with the weather we’ll be having. Rest well and good luck Bluefoot!

Blue foot and PickinFungi like this.
  20. Hustler

Hustler Morel Enthusiast

Must be nice! I need to devote some time to finding spots like that. And I just thought of a few quiet roads I can drive and scout out. Thanks for the inspiration.

Morelevant likes this.