2019 PA MOREL FINDS

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

Thank you sir

2. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

I checked a spot that has always produced very well in past years, but this year it hasn't done well at all. I thought that maybe it was just late. I guess it just isn't going to produce this year. I found 10 here this season including 1 today, it usually produces close to a 100. I have one more spot to check in Snyder co and if it doesn't have any I am going to call it a season. Then start looking for oyster mushrooms. My wife likes them better anyway. It was a little better season than last year for me, but not quite what I was expecting. IMG_3949.JPG

3. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

Barely in time with these ones

Morelevant and beagleboy like this.
  4. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Yeah, it happens. I have a spot that sometimes produces beautiful pinkies and horse mushrooms, usually in the Fall. Last year, it did nothing, despite my thinking the conditions were prime. One time it popped in a very wet Spring and I didn't see it until it was too late.

5. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

I've hunted morels for 10 plus years. Hen of the woods in the fall. I'm just wandering now that my morels season is done. What is some decent late spring early summer mushroom s to hunt?

Morelevant and beagleboy like this.
  6. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Pan, check out the 2018 season threads. Covers spring, summer and fall. I set them up so we don’t have to answer the same questions every year. Think I set up a 2019 spring thread if it didn’t get deleted. It’s kind of the same every year so if you look at 2018 it will be like 2019, make sure you post your finds. Happy Hunting!

7. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

I checked that spot in Snyder co today. I should have checked it last week but had too many places to check, seemed like every thing came on quick at the end of the season this year. I found 19 old ones, picked 7 that I might be able to salvage enough for a meal. Still didn't find a spot for blacks, oh well maybe next year. IMG_3950.JPG IMG_3951.JPG IMG_3952.JPG IMG_3953.JPG

8. clutch2412

clutch2412 Morel Connoisseur

Beautiful looking woods beagle. Enjoyed following Pennsylvania all year. You guys do a great job.

9. Gibz

Gibz Morel Enthusiast

Trahn That is where my wife finds them and I am off in the briars and the rocks and steep hillsides. I am guessing this has to do with the roadway creating a barrier to the myc and causing it to force the flush? Also I would think a lot of the roadways or trails have either limestone shale or crushed limestone, causing the PH to be higher

10. Hustler

Hustler Morel Enthusiast

35BB51AF-EAF9-4BE1-81A7-0518AECA3D4F.jpeg I found 6 yellow today while at work in Pike Co. how do you like that. They look pretty fresh. I’ll check a spot I picked a couple weeks ago after work and hope for more.

11. shroomsearcher

I do a lot of hunting at my fish & game club which is honeycombed with 2 tracks. A couple years ago I almost tromped on a couple of gigantic yellows growing right in the middle of one! So, I've learned to keep my eyes open. The first morels I found this season were about 2 inches away from being crushed under the tires of an ATV!

12. Morelevant

Morelevant Morel Enthusiast

I found greys in the middle of a pine grove this year. A first for me. There were others around picking the same grove. This was an old planted grove with the pines all in rows maybe 5 acres total. They others said they pick greys there every year and never find yellows with pines.

beagleboy likes this.
  13. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Pan: You may want to consider Chanterelles.

Here in Central OH they are a July & August mushroom. They are plentiful, fruit in the same spots year after year and are more plentiful than Morels here. They are good eating.

DSC04957.JPG
    DSC04960.JPG

14. shroomsearcher

Chanterelles are definitely on my bucket list. Never found a single one! Any tips on habitat?

1 person likes this.
  15. Thor

Thor Morel Enthusiast

I have the most luck in old, hardwood forests with little undergrowth. Near creeks. Predominately Beech.

Morelevant and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Thor

Thor Morel Enthusiast

I often find black trumpets and old man growing nearby.

Morelevant and (deleted member) like this.
  17. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Keep Looking!!. . . especially oak woods.

If you've not found something like the pics below, harvest what you've found, be happy and keep looking and exploring.

I was happy for many years until I found a woods, so prolific for Chanterelles, that I'd only pick 1 out of 20 mushrooms.

Mother Natures abundance was so great that I ceased grasping, lusting, longing . . . . I got the message . . . .

DSC05007.JPG
    DSC05013.JPG
    DSC05010.JPG
    DSC05014.JPG

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  18. shroomsearcher

Thanks for the tip. I already have some places in mind.

Wow! Incredible! Dream find. I'm thankful for any mushrooms I find, especially if it's new species to me. Even if they aren't edible I still learn something.

1 person likes this.
  19. rippers

rippers Morel Enthusiast

Is anyone from around Sizerville State Park area? I’m heading up there next weekend... just wondering if some morel funds might still be possible.