2019 PA MOREL FINDS

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Mar 17, 2019.

1. wildshroomer

wildshroomer Morel Connoisseur

Well went to camp last Thursday to Sunday for a "work" party and did some Turkey hunting and foraging...again no bird but did find a couple morels and a grouse....found in some new spots....located in Clinton co. Between lock haven and renovo...looks like it may be over for me....might just stop at a spot here and there just to make sure....otherwise a pretty decent year.
    20190517_102712.jpg 20190517_114321.jpg

2. Blue foot

Blue foot Morel Enthusiast

Nice finds, wild; that looks like my season total! That grouse is the true treasure, I hope they bounce back. Found another loner Saturday, but like the the few on Friday, in its last stand. Just in time:) next year.

Pan0606 likes this.

3. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Nice! I can't say that I know the area, but I've been up there. My buddy's boss had a cabin on the First Fork of the Sinnemahoning between Jericho and the George P. Stevenson dam. What beautiful country! Wildlife everywhere! I remember seeing the camps garbage cans enclosed by 6x6's and hog wire to keep the bears out!

Been ages seen I've even seen a grouse. I read a report where mosquitoes infected with West Nile Virus bite young grouse chicks, and the virus kills most of them! I hope somebody can figure something out about this, because I dearly loved hunting those birds. Never could touch a single one of them, but they were a thrill!

4. Moreldmd

Moreldmd Morel Enthusiast

Can anyone give me a positive ID on this? Base of a shingle oak. Also some giant morels from southeast Ohio that we’re past fresh lol

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Looks like a chicken mushroom. Happy Hunting!

6. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Laetiporus cincinnatus

Moreldmd and (deleted member) like this.
  7. shroomsearcher

In other words, a chicken. Here's a nice one I found a few years ago.

DSCN0138.JPG

Orange on top, white on the bottom, growing in a rough circle with small individual "petal" is Laetiporus cincinnatus. If it's orange on top and yellow underneath, and growing in "shelves" it's Laetiporus sulfureus. I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

DSCN0224.JPG

Both are edible.

8. Moreldmd

Moreldmd Morel Enthusiast

I read that some people have gastric issues with chicken of the woods. I opted not to try this time. How can you tell if they are fresh or too old? Are there any indicators? That tree produces sheepshead also but I wasn’t a fan when I tried those.

9. shroomsearcher

Yes, they can produce gastric issues. Everybody's stomach is different. Some people have issues with morels!

As for chickens use your eyes and your hands. Look at the colors. Are they bright and vibrant or do they look faded and old. Put your hands on them. Do they feel kind of soft and tender. Sort of "squishy"? If they feel like that they are prime! If they feel hard and "cardboardy", they are past prime.

10. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

Yes, that's a chicken! I've never had any issues with them, but I always cook them well just in case. As far as fresh or old go, I couldn't add anything to what 'shroomsearcher' said; he is spot on! Happy Shroomin'...

Moreldmd likes this.
  11. steelernation

shroomsearcher is right. I know many people who collect the older ones, and those are more woody and harder to digest. The fresh, juicy ones are primo!

And for the website admins...why does this website have basically no safety features to protect from epic scamming attacks? Over and over again. I've never seen this anywhere but here.

12. shroomsearcher

I've complained about it too. As it was explained to me, once they clean up one attack, the attackers just change user names and relaunch! You can click on the avatar and make a selection to "ignore" their posts. That will clean it up for you until they change user names again. Why these goofballs chose to attack a morel hunting forum is beyond me!

13. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

I know what are they thinking attacking a mushroom forum. What can be gained. Maybe the Chinese are trying to corner the market on morels and hope to discourage us from finding them in the wild lol

1 person likes this.
  14. shroomsearcher

That's not it. What they are offering are fake college diplomas. Maybe they think we need a degree in order to harvest shrooms! After all, there is some science involved in it!

15. steelernation

It's nobody specifically. This time, it is Chinese. Last time, it was Korean. Before that, Japanese, but $10 says it's the same spammers using multiple languages, and none of them are probably Asian at all.

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Thor

Thor Morel Enthusiast

In addition to the usual cautions about eating more tender parts of younger specimens and taking it easy the first time you try it, you should know that COW growing on conifers, eucalyptus, or cedar trees can have toxins that make digestive distress much more likely. Stick to the ones growing on hardwood.

Barnacle and Mushoom18 like this.
  17. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

10-4! I knew that but thanks for the heads-up info! It will be good for others to know too. Thanks Thor....Happy Shroomin'...

Barnacle likes this.
  18. steelernation

Cripes...who writes the security code here? Yahoo?