2019 PA MOREL FINDS

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Mar 17, 2019.

1. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Lookin to travel some next week, question is should I head south or west From Schuylkill Co. I will be targeting blacks. Maybe SW lol. Happy Hunting!

2. swpa

swpa Morel Connoisseur

Trahn,
    If you travel 6 hours West, I can point you in the he right direction after nearly 40 years of foraging. Not that you need any help identifying areas, but I do have access to a lot of private property I have NO interest in hiding my spots as more eyes produce more finds.

3. trahn008

SWPA, That is very kind of you to offer, and I THANK YOU. It's very interesting you have been for years my west black morel key watcher. As wildshroomer is the Central guy I watch, like Picken's was my South Central. I can gauge a lot by your posts and I thank you guys for them. Here is the problem we are kind of finding the same stage of black morel growth at the same time. Redfred in MD posted some nice yellows, which I know some spots in MD for blacks. If I headed out on the pike I wouldn't get past those tunnels, I could pick for days in those mountains (Pickin's old stompin grounds). Just not sure yet.. Happy Hunting!

4. Blue foot

Blue foot Morel Enthusiast

Hi all. This is a great site! Been looking up here on the headwaters of w.branch Susquehanna river. Ramps, trout lillies, trout, no morels. Last year was my first real morel year, and it was exhausting. Averaged 1 per hour. Only knew of ash, elm and apple as good trees. No luck with tulip or b. cherry. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

5. Blue foot

Wrong thread, sorry.

6. trahn008

Welcome blue foot. Do some reading up in the thread 2019 PA Morels CHIT CHAT. Happy Hunting!

7. Blue foot

Read and re-read. Lot's of useful info. Ty

8. trahn008

Going with a double knot today. In case I get into some harder terrain! Happy Hunting! 28554D9D-CD5B-455D-A082-D0D5072982C9.jpeg

9. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

Trahn, I've been contemplating the same idea. I think I'm going to head down to Maryland today to try one or two parks down there.

10. trahn008

Beat, that would be a good idea IMAO. Save some for me...lol. Happy Hunting!

11. jpv1125

jpv1125 Morel Enthusiast

Go get them trahn look forward to your finds today. I would say good luck but you don’t need luck you got skills.

12. trahn008

LOL, not hunting today, easter egg hunt with the boyz.. I'll take luck over skill any day. It is early yet, not going to get serious until late next week. I did double knot the sneakers because I am kind of always hunting.. LOL.. Happy Hunting!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Kbshroom and (deleted member) like this.
  13. clutch2412

clutch2412 Morel Connoisseur

Luck over skill everytime! Good call Trahn. Fun either way.

Kbshroom likes this.
  14. jpv1125

jpv1125 Morel Enthusiast

Trahn enjoy the time with the boys. I usually don’t start to get serious until 4 plus days after ligonier. That’s what I’ve learned from this website for my part of Allegheny county. Going out Monday after taking the daughter back to college. I’ll post any finds.

15. rippers

rippers Morel Enthusiast

Trahn... if you’re up for some company, I’ll head as far east as need be... I still want to learn blacks from the best.

16. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

We found a couple of small grays today in Beaver County by accident. Fun thing: only surrounded by Red Oak and asphalt...

17. oilbhoy

oilbhoy Young Morel

E1E4EC27-4062-4F54-9BF8-757C9F52D478.jpeg Butler Co find today with the kids. We had been looking for a good spot for years. Came across a promising place last year at the end of the season where we spotted a couple of mature yellows all chewed up by bugs. Finally our work has paid off.

18. pchunter1231

pchunter1231 Morel Connoisseur

Hunted for about 4 hours and had competition at each spot as there were others out and about. Never believe 4 eyes is better than 2 lol. I saw 2 guys a few hundred yards from looking around some elm trees so continued up the ridge nada. I dont know where those other guys went but i went down to where those guys were and i found 3 grays right where they were looking. There bags were empty from what i could see the last time i saw them. My honey hole turned up empty but that is a later spot anyway but decided to check anyhow. Another spot a group of 4 came walking out the trail empty bags. I did find a bunch of i call them inky caps and 20 false morels. Could be a good week. This was in Perry

19. trahn008

oilbhoy, always good to get the kids out and about! Congrats on your finds! Happy Hunting!

20. trahn008

Rip, your always welcome, not sure what I'm doing yet.