2019 PA SPRING NON MOREL FINDS

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, May 8, 2019.

1. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

A place to post are non morel spring mushroom finds. Happy Hunting!

2. Jeff2554

Jeff2554 Morel Enthusiast

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Trahn look how far behind we are here up by Corning NY

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.

3. trahn008

Jeff, I was thinking of heading to NY this weekend. Orange Co. area. I think O Co. is ahead of you guys, at least I hope! Thanks for the update. Happy Hunting!

4. trahn008

5. PickinFungi

PickinFungi Morel Enthusiast

6. Thor

Thor Morel Enthusiast

My 11 yo son just brought these home! Good job, buddy! IMG_20190514_201119.jpg IMG_20190514_204348.jpg

7. trahn008

Not sure. Would need a picture of the bottom.

PickinFungi and beagleboy like this.
  8. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

This year seems like it is starting off just like last year. It was a great year for most summer mushrooms, but one that I only found enough to make 2 batches of tincture was reishi. I hope I can find more this year because it really helps with my wife's breathing problems. I also like to eat the tender white edge while it is growing. I have to dry more oysters and black trumpets which I ran out of. I found plenty just didn't preserve enough.

9. trahn008

Beagle, reishi is next on my target list. Was going today to check a local park and see if they have started. I look forward to the late spring, summer mushroom hunting. It's not like the mad rush morel season is. More of a laid back season for me. Happy Hunting!

10. trahn008

Thor, that is a nice patch of King Stropharia. I'm always looking as I'm driving at the mulched area's around business and parks. Saw some yesterday but they where to far gone. Happy Hunting!

PickinFungi likes this.
  11. PickinFungi

PickinFungi Morel Enthusiast

I see you like growing. I just ordered some spawn for a patch under my oak tree.

12. trahn008

Pickin, I've had no luck growing King Stropharia. A lot of the growing books claim they are an easy grow, but not for me. Have really struggled with this one! Hope you have better results than I have. Happy Growing!

beagleboy and PickinFungi like this.
  13. beagleboy

I was out today looking for oysters. The only thing I found was turkeytail which I harvested some for tea. trahn did you see any signs of reishi starting yet, I looked in an area I found in before but didn't see any signs yet. I usually don't find any till the end of June but I thought since morels were a little earlier in my area this year reishi might start a little earlier too.

1 person likes this.
  14. beagleboy

I still haven't found any oysters yet, last year I found a lot all spring, summer and fall. I have found washed out chicken in places that I found last year, they must have been really early. Still no signs of reishi. The only thing that I have been finding a lot of has been LBM's. Anyone else finding anything edible.

15. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I'm not in PA, but right next door in NE OH about 5 miles from the line. This has always been a kind of a lull time. The morels are done, and it seems to take a while for something else to get started. Oysters usually seem to be next, but there seems to be no exact calendar.

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  16. beagleboy

shroomseacher, thanks I just started harvesting oysters last year and found them all spring and summer. I know every year is different, but we have had plenty of moisture in my area so I thought they would be flushing. In your experience do they flush on the same logs many years in a row? I hunt reishi and I haven't found many on the same logs each year but usually on logs close by, last year I didn't find many reishi in my area.

2 people like this.
  17. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

Beagle if you want I can pick you lots of reishi. I see tons of it every year.

18. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I'm not all that experienced, only been hunting 8 or 9 years, but I use these forums and read and study everything I can. It seems to be different every year. A few years ago I was on my way somewhere and decided to cruise through a parking lot in a local park. I spotted what I though was an absolutely perfect oyster. But it appeared to be growing from the ground, and I knew that they grew on wood. I had to be somewhere, so I decided to come back the next day with a metal probe to check for wood under the ground.

I come back the next day, and I see the park maintenance guy riding around on his mower! I think, "Oh, no!" I get to the spot, and the shroom is gone. The now cut grass allow me to see the faint outline of an old stump. I take the probe, sink it where I can see the stump of the mushroom, and 4" underground I hit wood! I've checked that stump every year since, and nothing!

I've had chicken logs that went gangbusters for a couple of years and then crapped out! Elms that used to produce morels do the same thing. It seems the only constant is change.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  19. beagleboy

Barnacle, most years I find plenty but last year I only found a little. I hope this year is better or I might just take you up on your offer.
    shroomseacher, I have hunted morels since I was very young and harvested reishi and chanterelles for 5 to 6 years, but last year was my first year harvesting oysters, chicken of the woods, black trumpets, and hen of the woods. I have always found plenty of chanterelles but last year was just unbelievable in my area. I also found lots of black trumpets but since it was my first year harvesting them I don't know what to expect because I think it was an unusually good year for them too,same with hen of the woods. One thing I have been told with them where I found them last year I should find them most years.

1 person likes this.
  20. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

Hey fokes I noticed the Ohio “dinner plate” thread has disappeared and I seem to remember Trahn had said that another thread ( I think it was a growers thread ) had vanished also . Is my memory correct??? With all the crap that I think we all would like to see go why these things.? PS... from now on I will refer to “Trahn” as “008” .......After a whole month of Bond films I realized that he is just 1 better then 007..... just ask Q ... or M .... Or am I just missing something????