Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff, I was thinking of heading to NY this weekend. Orange Co. area. I think O Co. is ahead of you guys, at least I hope! Thanks for the update. Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
587 Posts
This year seems like it is starting off just like last year. It was a great year for most summer mushrooms, but one that I only found enough to make 2 batches of tincture was reishi. I hope I can find more this year because it really helps with my wife's breathing problems. I also like to eat the tender white edge while it is growing. I have to dry more oysters and black trumpets which I ran out of. I found plenty just didn't preserve enough.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thor, that is a nice patch of King Stropharia. I'm always looking as I'm driving at the mulched area's around business and parks. Saw some yesterday but they where to far gone. Happy Hunting!
I see you like growing. I just ordered some spawn for a patch under my oak tree.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I was out today looking for oysters. The only thing I found was turkeytail which I harvested some for tea. trahn did you see any signs of reishi starting yet, I looked in an area I found in before but didn't see any signs yet. I usually don't find any till the end of June but I thought since morels were a little earlier in my area this year reishi might start a little earlier too.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I still haven't found any oysters yet, last year I found a lot all spring, summer and fall. I have found washed out chicken in places that I found last year, they must have been really early. Still no signs of reishi. The only thing that I have been finding a lot of has been LBM's. Anyone else finding anything edible.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm not in PA, but right next door in NE OH about 5 miles from the line. This has always been a kind of a lull time. The morels are done, and it seems to take a while for something else to get started. Oysters usually seem to be next, but there seems to be no exact calendar.

·
Registered
587 Posts
shroomseacher, thanks I just started harvesting oysters last year and found them all spring and summer. I know every year is different, but we have had plenty of moisture in my area so I thought they would be flushing. In your experience do they flush on the same logs many years in a row? I hunt reishi and I haven't found many on the same logs each year but usually on logs close by, last year I didn't find many reishi in my area.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This year seems like it is starting off just like last year. It was a great year for most summer mushrooms, but one that I only found enough to make 2 batches of tincture was reishi. I hope I can find more this year because it really helps with my wife's breathing problems. I also like to eat the tender white edge while it is growing. I have to dry more oysters and black trumpets which I ran out of. I found plenty just didn't preserve enough.
Beagle if you want I can pick you lots of reishi. I see tons of it every year.

·
Registered
509 Posts
shroomseacher, thanks I just started harvesting oysters last year and found them all spring and summer. I know every year is different, but we have had plenty of moisture in my area so I thought they would be flushing. In your experience do they flush on the same logs many years in a row? I hunt reishi and I haven't found many on the same logs each year but usually on logs close by, last year I didn't find many reishi in my area.
I'm not all that experienced, only been hunting 8 or 9 years, but I use these forums and read and study everything I can. It seems to be different every year. A few years ago I was on my way somewhere and decided to cruise through a parking lot in a local park. I spotted what I though was an absolutely perfect oyster. But it appeared to be growing from the ground, and I knew that they grew on wood. I had to be somewhere, so I decided to come back the next day with a metal probe to check for wood under the ground.

I come back the next day, and I see the park maintenance guy riding around on his mower! I think, "Oh, no!" I get to the spot, and the shroom is gone. The now cut grass allow me to see the faint outline of an old stump. I take the probe, sink it where I can see the stump of the mushroom, and 4" underground I hit wood! I've checked that stump every year since, and nothing!

I've had chicken logs that went gangbusters for a couple of years and then crapped out! Elms that used to produce morels do the same thing. It seems the only constant is change.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Beagle if you want I can pick you lots of reishi. I see tons of it every year.
Barnacle, most years I find plenty but last year I only found a little. I hope this year is better or I might just take you up on your offer.
I'm not all that experienced, only been hunting 8 or 9 years, but I use these forums and read and study everything I can. It seems to be different every year. A few years ago I was on my way somewhere and decided to cruise through a parking lot in a local park. I spotted what I though was an absolutely perfect oyster. But it appeared to be growing from the ground, and I knew that they grew on wood. I had to be somewhere, so I decided to come back the next day with a metal probe to check for wood under the ground.

I come back the next day, and I see the park maintenance guy riding around on his mower! I think, "Oh, no!" I get to the spot, and the shroom is gone. The now cut grass allow me to see the faint outline of an old stump. I take the probe, sink it where I can see the stump of the mushroom, and 4" underground I hit wood! I've checked that stump every year since, and nothing!

I've had chicken logs that went gangbusters for a couple of years and then crapped out! Elms that used to produce morels do the same thing. It seems the only constant is change.
shroomseacher, I have hunted morels since I was very young and harvested reishi and chanterelles for 5 to 6 years, but last year was my first year harvesting oysters, chicken of the woods, black trumpets, and hen of the woods. I have always found plenty of chanterelles but last year was just unbelievable in my area. I also found lots of black trumpets but since it was my first year harvesting them I don't know what to expect because I think it was an unusually good year for them too,same with hen of the woods. One thing I have been told with them where I found them last year I should find them most years.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey fokes I noticed the Ohio “dinner plate” thread has disappeared and I seem to remember Trahn had said that another thread ( I think it was a growers thread ) had vanished also . Is my memory correct??? With all the crap that I think we all would like to see go why these things.? PS... from now on I will refer to “Trahn” as “008” .......After a whole month of Bond films I realized that he is just 1 better then 007..... just ask Q ... or M .... Or am I just missing something????

1 - 20 of 55 Posts