2019 PA SPRING NON MOREL FINDS

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, May 8, 2019.

1. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

Speaking of this, I have been listening to a podcast lately that often gets into traditional archery topics when it occurred to me that the “trahn” part of trahn008 might be short for “trad hunter or traditional hunter”. The Barnacle origin is much less cool comes from Captain Barnacle of the kids Octonauts cartoons. My boys happened to be watching it when I was creating my profile.

Last year I was surprised to read that one of you more experienced guys had never found trumpets or at least more than a handful of them. Does anyone remember who that was?

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  2. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

From 2013. LOL

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.

3. trahn008

Beagle, I haven't been out hunting at all since morel season. Snake season starts Saturday, so it's up to snake camp this weekend. I will be road hunting all the way to camp! Happy Hunting!

4. trahn008

Barnacle, boy did you lay low during the morel season! Trahn is my first name, interesting story of how I got my name. My dad was in the Vietnam War, was shot up really bad and spent over 1 year in a medic camp. There was a orphaned Vietnamese boy at the camp that had stepped on a land mine and had both legs off. My dad became like a father to him during that year and they loved each other. When my dad came home he tried to bring that boy home to the states, but couldn't because of red tape. In 1972 when I was born my dad named me after the boy. Happy Hunting!

Blue foot, Barnacle, Gibz and 5 others like this.
  5. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

I hiked up a deep hollow that had a lot of hemlock blowdowns and old dead hemlocks. I didn't see any signs of reishi until I got back to the car and left. I was about a mile away from the parking lot heading home and saw a big blown down hemlock 25 yds. off the road and there in the roots was what I was looking for. The second one was on a different tree that had a lot of old ones. I guess I was just looking in the wrong places last year. I still think that it is early, but some are out there. IMG_3959.JPG IMG_3960.JPG IMG_3958.JPG

6. beagleboy

trahn, wish you luck snake hunting. I see enough without hunting them.lol

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

Wow, great story Trahn. I appreciate you sharing it. As far as morel season goes I was all in on my second turkey season. Gave it everything I had, but tag soup again. Had a few good experiences, but couldn’t get it done. We were way behind you guys over here with morels and it went from to cold to to hot. I did ok but many of my normal spots didn’t produce.
    I’m hoping to do well with boletes this season. Look forward to everyone’s pics! Snakes, mushrooms, anything you might not see everyday.

8. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

That is a great story so out of respect for you your dad and Trahn001 I think I will stay with Trahn....

9. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I started hunting morels about 8 or 9 years ago, and once your eyes get opened it's just natural to expand your search. Since then I have found chickens, hens, shaggy manes, some type of coral shroom, oysters, meadow mushrooms (aka "pinkies", aka Agaricus campestris), horse mushrooms (aka a. arvensis), and boletes too numerous to name! I have never found a chanterelle or a black trumpet. They are both on my bucket list.

Yes, it's been mentioned on the Ohio page. Someone said that a mistakenly deleted thread had been recovered in the past and wondered if Wade could do the same now. I told him to send Wade a PM. I complained rather loudly, and publicly, about the Chinese spam and Wade sent me a PM asking me to please send him PM's about it instead.

What a great story! when my Sis and BIL lived in upstate NY, they had a Vietnamese man as a neighbor. We were visiting and they invited him over. He told us that he had recently taken his 2 children back to Vietnam to show how he used to live, and how lucky they were to be living in the USA. He began to weep openly at the table. My BIL threw his arm around him and told him that he was a good man and a good father, and they were proud to have him as a neighbor and friend. People are just people if they're raise right.

10. beagleboy

I also found these on a dead hemlock log that was pretty rotten, stems were hollow. I didn't bring any home for a spore print. Any ideas. IMG_3957.JPG

PickinFungi likes this.
  11. DoctaGreen

DoctaGreen Morel Enthusiast

Hey guys been busy scouring the woods here in WNY. Found plenty of jacks, artist conk, and various other ones! Hope everyone is well and hunting successfully. Unfortunately where I am at Morels rarely grow, however I got 10 - 15 lbs of pheasant backs :)

12. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

That's an awesome and touching story Trahn. That's something special to be proud of...(as I'm sure you are!) Thanks for sharing it!

beagleboy and Barnacle like this.
  13. beagleboy

I went on a hike in an area that I found some chicken of the woods last year, no luck with the chicken but did find these. When I first saw them I thought chant pins, but I think they are some sort of club mushroom. IMG_3965.JPG IMG_3964.JPG

PickinFungi likes this.
  14. beagleboy

I found a lot of deer mushrooms today but not much else. The slug should eat for a couple of days. IMG_3966.JPG IMG_3967.JPG

15. beagleboy

I found this fresh chicken of the woods yesterday. IMG_3968.JPG

16. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Trahn, I always wondered... Sorry, I won't wish you any luck with your snake hunt; I like the snakes just where they are ;)

Just got back from 9 days in the WV mountains, where despite all the moisture, almost no mushrooms were found, and our WV reishi spot was completely dry. That doesn't bode well...

17. DoctaGreen

DoctaGreen Morel Enthusiast

I suspect the end of June will be when you see Reishi in WV. Here in WNY its about mid July til beginning of September I have found Ganoderma Tsugae. Going out later today to forage for some chickens which I suspect should be good around my area. After the Rain we have been getting over the last two weeks. Mushrooms for days.

beagleboy likes this.
  18. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

In the spots we pick, they are usually well on their way earlier in June, and by now, we're picking 30-60#. This year, as with last, there was nothing...not even a one. Not much in the forests there overall, unfortunately.

19. beagleboy

Steeler I found a few in my area last year but not enough to last till this year. I did find a few small ones already this year, so I am ahead of last year so far. The storms we had really damaged a lot of hemlocks in my area, but it probably won't make much difference for a few years. They seem to prefer 3 to 4 year dead trees.

DoctaGreen and (deleted member) like this.
  20. beagleboy

I found another chicken this evening while walking the beagle. I believe this one is of the cincinnatus variety. IMG_3969.JPG

3 people like this.