2019 PA SPRING NON MOREL FINDS

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, May 8, 2019.

1. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

The indian pipes are up so it shouldn't be too long for the rest of the early summer mushrooms to start poppin. IMG_3970.JPG

PickinFungi likes this.
  2. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I know where some indian pipes grow, so I need to get out there and see if they're up.

3. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Well, I found my first ever Chants today! Only problem is, I found them too late! They were old and dried up. Checked one spot where I found all the hens last year. Seemed to be a "shroomy" place, but I found absolutely nothing. Checked another spot where I've found boletes the last couple of years, and there they were! Wasn't a massive flush, maybe 9-10 shrooms at the most! Would have made a decent skillet full if I'd caught them at their prime.

Supposed to be some rain in the offing. Might their be another flush if we get some additional moisture? BTW, these were all within 10' of a red oak or pin oak. Can't be sure, but am sure it was an oak. I'm going to try to download some pics, even though the software has been acting a bit balky.

DSCN0403.JPG DSCN0404.JPG

Jeez! What a trial that was! Win 10 can be amazing, but sometimes it still a pain in the ass!

PickinFungi and beagleboy like this.
  4. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

Looking ing for chants first time. Can someone give id IMG_20190712_181037.jpg IMG_20190712_181037.jpg

Attached Files:

5. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Pan0606 -- Chanterelles!

Here's a pic of some I picked over here in Centeral OH two days ago. They had a few days more growth than yours and therefore the tops are more developed.
    DSC00445.JPG

6. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

Thanks

7. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

Hey guys, Haven’t been able to follow how everyone is doing as closely this year for various reasons. But wanted to check in with beagle to see how your doing With reishi’s for your wife? I’ll be starting to comb the are that I find tons of them today and would be happy to grab as many as you need.

Also for some reason I don’t seem to be getting notified of posts for all the threads I’m watching. I only get sporadic notices. And many of those have that foreign language spam stuff.

8. beagleboy

Barnacle, I found some but I hope to get more. I started one tincture and have enough for another one. trahn started another thread for 2019 summer finds on the pa forums. Where in New York are you. I will pm you if I can

9. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

I’m in Saratoga county. But I find the reishi in Schenectady county. I’m not sure where to look for a pm.

beagleboy likes this.
  10. beagleboy

I see you found the pm. You are pretty far away, so thanks anyway

11. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Better than me. I didn't find a single one in any of my spots this year. We'll just keep living off 2017, which was an exceptional year.

beagleboy likes this.
  12. beagleboy

steeler, I didn't store any from that year, at that time I was just cutting the new white edge off and saute . It is pretty good but I haven't been finding enough to do that anymore.

2 people like this.
  13. steelernation

Ohhhhh...the white edge is just the newest growth. The medicine is after the whole thing starts to spore and is pretty uniform in color. We drink tea from it every day. I think the first one I got in 2017 was 21-23" wide, a real monster! Who knows. 2013 was the best year we ever had, 2017 was fantastic, and 2009 was also very good (our first shrooming year). So maybe 2021???

beagleboy likes this.
  14. beagleboy

When I cut the white part off, which is the new growth, it continues to grow. When I did that which was until about 2 years ago I didn't know there was any other way to use them. I did find out I can't take the tincture, it makes my blood pressure go way down ( 98/56 was one reading). I am on a mild blood pressure medicine so I talked to my doctor about it but he said it would be hard to regulate it with the reishi because we wouldn't know how strong the dosage would be with each batch of tincture. My wife takes it and doesn't have any issues and it really helps with her breathing problems. I drink turkey tail tea with no issues.

PickinFungi and (deleted member) like this.
  15. steelernation

Reishi might replace your blood pressure medicine, who knows. It is a mild blood thinner, but yeah, you don't want it 98/56...