2019 Season

Discussion in 'Kansas' started by Tekquera01, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Tekquera01

Tekquera01 Morel Enthusiast

Hello Fellow Hunters! Seems alot of states have started their 2019 season threads. So I'll start ours off! Reports are showing Tyler, TX have found their first, along with GA, AL, LA. It's just a matter of time, this season should be awesome with all the snow we got.
    I am hoping this year I find my drive again, as the 2018 season was rather difficult being the first season without my husband. I had gone out a few times but my heart wasnt in it, and I had got skunked!
    Good luck to one and all for this 2019 Morel season may the flush begin!!!!

Walkabout, LFKhunter, KellyYF and 5 others like this.
  2. dragon76

dragon76 Morel Enthusiast

its getting pretty close in far SEK. soil temps have spiked this past week, and next weeks forecast looks very promising. I'm guessing Kansas will have its first find by this time next week. A friend of mine, a mushroom guru, was out yesterday looking for greys..

3. Tekquera01

Tekquera01 Morel Enthusiast

The ground temps aren't quite there yet, but with the warmer temps plus more rain this week could be possible this weekend. I might try after work like Wednesday supposed to be in the 70s maybe Saturday (if it's not pouring)..... I'm getting super excited I hope I don't get skunked like last year and I have my gumption back!!! I have a jar of water with spores that I've had for a couple years now, I need to dump it out and see if it works.... Was thinking by the propane tank, my husband had found a false there in 2017. Or out on the south side of the dam, I've found one there before.....

2 people like this.
  4. ksmorel

ksmorel Morel Enthusiast

I'm super excited for this year! Oklahoma has some finds so I'm thinking I can find one this weekend or next in SEK, by the second week of April should be lots. Hoping for a great year! Was scouting some new spots and got my truck stuck in the mud so there's plenty of moisture this year.

Tekquera01 likes this.
  5. Wabskankot

Wabskankot Young Morel

Northeast kansas nothing yet, im thinking one more week gras greening and have warmer temps this week
    Good luck all

6. Chris14

Chris14 Morel Enthusiast

Can confirm nothing quite yet in NE Kansas. Looking like in about a week Kansas will be picking up and by mid April they should be everywhere with all this moisture. If anybody in the KC area wants to link up lmk

Tekquera01 likes this.
  7. woodsygirl

woodsygirl Morel Enthusiast

Glad to hear SEK is looking good. My usual places south of Wichita, haven't produced much in recent yrs, so am looking for new ground. I'm planning on heading to SEK the wk of Apr 8 and hope to find something. I'm not familiar with that part of the state, as far as morels go, but plan on creeks and rivers. Would appreciate any tips. Thanks.

Tekquera01 likes this.
  8. sroomgirl

sroomgirl Young Morel

Can't wait for the season to start! Come on ground temps. The snow this morning won't hurt much but it sure won't help.

Tekquera01 likes this.
  9. Walkabout

Walkabout Morel Enthusiast

Anyone ever seen these before? Found growing on a dead Elm stump in N.C. 20190329_163920.jpg 20190329_163929.jpg

KellyYF likes this.
  10. ckorte

ckorte Morel Enthusiast

Could be early stage of dryad saddle. Does it smell like watermelon rind?

Walkabout likes this.
  11. dragon76

what do you guys think the overnight lows going to so to the early flush we where planning on looking around tomorrow, soil temp in low 50 yesterday, redbuds have budded as of thursday, there should be some popping

12. dragon76

there is a lot of public land over here. that's the only places I look in. hard walking in the strip pits, but well worth the effort. just because you haven't found any the last year don't give up on your spots. Three years ago, between my 3 members of my family, we picked over 1,000 shrooms, but have only picked 5 in the same parts of the woods, the last two years.

13. Walkabout

I didn't smell them. Felt supple and alive. Kinda like the texture if you squeeze an oyster mushroom at the base.
    I agree that the pattern looks like Dryad Saddle.
    I'll check 'em in a few days when I hit that spot again.
    Thanks for the response ckorte

14. Hank 3.5

Hank 3.5 Morel Enthusiast

15. Hank 3.5

Hank 3.5 Morel Enthusiast

Yes indeed those are young Pheasant Backs ( dryads saddle ) just starting .

Walkabout and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Walkabout

Thanks for the conformation Hank 3.5

17. woodsygirl

woodsygirl Morel Enthusiast

Part of the problem, south of Wichita, is, more development and private land along the river. I have gone on private land, but probably shouldn't be doing that. Have not had luck in my attempts to contact owner, so do feel a need to find new areas. Thanks for the reply.

18. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

dragon, I hear you on the hard walking in the pits. Good place to hunt with a boat if I had one. It is a unique experience that everyone should try at least once in their life. You guys are going to be a good 3 weeks ahead of the north border unless we get a bunch of real warm, March was almost 12 degrees below the long term average up here. Seems everyone is set up for at least a normal year so far, if not much better from Ok. to the Canada border. Just no late freeze. Woodsygirl, do you ever go out and hunt Cheney Lake west of you? It is the same stuff as the river tree wise and there are morels if it rains. As far west as you are that is always the issue. The pits are pretty much all cottons also with a few elm tossed in.

1 person likes this.
  19. Beakergeek

Beakergeek Young Morel

This is my first Spring in KS that I can go hunting! I'm new to this and am so excited! i'm planning to go to some river-type areas and have a walk around. What are your tried and true tips and tricks for success?

ETA: I"m in NE KS

20. Scrawny

Scrawny Morel Enthusiast

Sek is a haven for morels

Attached Files: