Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!
I'm setting up a 2019 thread for us St. Louis area folks that will include all the surrounding areas. Can't wait for the season to start. We just went out this morning to get our legs under us. Didn't find any mushrooms yet but I think it's going to be a good season.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for starting up the thread. I’m in Jefferson County and I, too, looked lightly today. I thought we where about a week early, so I focused on my black morel spot, which always pops earlier than themwhites/yellows do. But....NADA.

Keep searching, keep reporting. I promise to do the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Currently on a family vacation in Washington county. My family has been looking for 2 days and haven't seen any morels yet. Also asked a local logger and on the jobs he has been cutting he has not seen anything either, think they may be a week or so out. This crazy warm weather has brought out all sorts of critters, one was a Copperhead so be mindful of where you reach. We will look this morning, but Unfortunatel today is our last day in Missouri. This evening we will be heading to Carroll county Tennessee nd continue searching there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Currently on a family vacation in Washington county. My family has been looking for 2 days and haven't seen any morels yet. Also asked a local logger and on the jobs he has been cutting he has not seen anything either, think they may be a week or so out. This crazy warm weather has brought out all sorts of critters, one was a Copperhead so be mindful of where you reach. We will look this morning, but Unfortunatel today is our last day in Missouri. This evening we will be heading to Carroll county Tennessee nd continue searching there.
G'Luck Thomas in your Tennessee Hunts!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
G'Luck Thomas in your Tennessee Hunts!!
Thanks, we had fun on our trip. I was able to get a number of logs for my sawmill and the kids stayed in the creek for 3 solid days. Today the may apples started popping in the area we usually find morels. Think we missed it at the family farm by about a week. We will be out in the woods tomorrow in Tennessee and Alabama looking for those delicious morels.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went out yesterday to hit an area that usually has blacks but I didn't find a thing. i will say that patch has been producing less over the past 2 years so maybe that area is just done.

I've noticed that with blacks. They seem to have a period of 5 years more or less and then the area is done producing. By comparison, I've hunted yellows in the same areas for decades. Not so with black morels. I'd love to hear from other long term hunters if they've had the same experience with blacks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Went out yesterday to hit an area that usually has blacks but I didn't find a thing. i will say that patch has been producing less over the past 2 years so maybe that area is just done.

I've noticed that with blacks. They seem to have a period of 5 years more or less and then the area is done producing. By comparison, I've hunted yellows in the same areas for decades. Not so with black morels. I'd love to hear from other long term hunters if they've had the same experience with blacks.
I’m beginning to believe most of my hot spots have flushed out and I need to find some new ones. I’ve only found blacks once in 20 years. The spot flushed prolifically for a couple, then nada for a couple, then sporadically from year to year.
But, man, that first year!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This little gray I found in Bonne Terre area last Sunday. It was all alone, but this weekend looks promising. Depends on whether we get this cold front their forecasting. Good hunting everyone!

·
Registered
20 Posts
IMG_2039.JPG
IMG_2036.JPG
Found 8 today in St Louis County! First ones of the season for me. I would have missed them completely if it weren't for the flooding in the area I was hunting, I walked right passed these guys and hit a dead end due to water I could not get around, turned back and found these. I'm going to go back out later today and probably tomorrow morning as well. Happy hunting everyone!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts