2019 St. Louis County/Jefferson County/Franklin County area morels

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by the original morelmama, Apr 7, 2019.

1. joemoris

joemoris Morel Enthusiast

You in Hazelwood?

2. joemoris

joemoris Morel Enthusiast

I found a few in Hazelwood Friday. (the www part) youtu.be/UaPN4cWTLss

Inthewild likes this.

3. Canofveggies

Canofveggies Morel Enthusiast

This was in Chesterfield, I mostly hunt around the Chesterfield and St Chuck areas along the MO River. Met a guy a few years ago who hunted up in the Hazelwood area though, even told his spot! Need to get up that way one of these days.

4. morelmaniac78

morelmaniac78 Morel Enthusiast

Is that the same spot you found the 120 in last year?

5. ckorte

ckorte Morel Connoisseur

003BF144-A0AA-4389-8010-EEE1660AD45D.jpeg 9CEB21AD-7F73-4C2A-B41C-725CB15F0AAB.jpeg A583F5EA-7762-4507-B7B3-D70FE70B6FA1.jpeg Picked about 50 mostly small already gave some away before last pic. The triple was ones I left to grow middle picture is one growing through a walnut shell. I know I left 100+ tiny ones in the woods to go back and get.

6. mellowmushiestl

mellowmushiestl Morel Enthusiast

St.Louis or Jefferson County?

7. ckorte

ckorte Morel Connoisseur

Metro east Madison county.

8. Canofveggies

I wish I could get to get to that spot! The high water around the river kind of ruined that one for me this year. On the bright side I get to get out and hike mostly new places and hopefully find a new honey hole.

1 person likes this.
  9. Canofveggies

IMG_2046.JPG

Went on a evening walk with the wife and dog out around Wildwood along the Meramec, wasn't really looking that hard but saw one sitting about 10 feet off the trail and then found quite a few more in the same area, there were some really small half free morels in the same area too that we left along with some small greys that we also left. Found some dryad's saddle along the same trail in a few different places, didn't pick much of it because I have never eaten it before but I am really excited to try it.

I'd say it's time to really get out there and do some serious hunting! Good luck everyone!

10. mellowmushiestl

Went out to a new spot this evening in Jefferson County, found one tiny guy about an inch tall, honestly don't know how I spotted it. The area looks very promising. I was crossing a barbed wire fence on the walk out and would've stepped on this one if it weren't for my buddy. About 3" tall! 20190418_193204.jpg

11. Canofveggies

IMG_2055.JPG IMG_2052.JPG IMG_2050.JPG Found 130 today in west St Louis county, mostly around creek beds. Tried a spot in Jefferson County first and didn't find much except false morels and one half free, headed to a new spot with a lot of creek beds and they were everywhere! Found more false morels than I ever have, at least 10 with both spots combined. I let those ones be.

12. mellowmushiestl

Great haul!

13. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

Yes, Sweet Bounty CanofVeggies! Way to find the spot!

14. vroomshroom

vroomshroom Young Morel

Went to a proven spot in west St Louis Co on Friday and found 26 small ones...
    Probably picked them a few days too early but on public ground I didn’t want
    to chance it...I think next 2 weeks could be very good...

15. Yukon Cornelius

Yukon Cornelius Morel Enthusiast

Picked 49 this morning, including 4 half-free. Also found 3 nice Dryad’s. Turns out Easter bunny brought more than just eggs this year!

Attached Files:

Canofveggies and HawkeyeMerkels like this.
  16. mellowmushiestl

Anyone finding anything fresh in good ole Jeffco? Found these 4 Friday. The 2 yellows were surprisingly fresh. Hoping to get one last hunt in this week. With any luck, this past weekends cooler weather and this weeks rain will pop some stragglers! 20190426_181345.jpg

17. the original morelmama

the original morelmama Morel Enthusiast

I think you still stand a chance of finding a few fresh ones. With all the rain, older ones will probably be moldy though. Went a couple of days ago and only kept about 50% of what we found. The others were too far gone so we covered them so they could help bring more next year. Also the ticks were super bad. Be sure to spray before you go!