2019 SUMMER MUSHROOMS PA

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Jul 12, 2019.

1. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Started a new summer mushroom thread. Happy Hunting!

2. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Tag teamed some chants and trumpets today with the KING.. They just seem to be starting here local in the SKOOK. Happy Hunting!

Barnacle, SquirrelKing and beagleboy like this.

3. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

Thanks trahn for starting this again, just didn't feel right posting non boletes on the bolete forum. Well I found these on Friday and I keyed them out to clitocybula abundans. They were growing on wood and had a light spore print. If they are something different let me know so I can change it in my album, also if they have a common name. thank you IMG_4003.JPG IMG_4004.JPG

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  4. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Finally got at least a few pounds of chants today, along with a good handful of trumpets. Only saw a few boletes, and they were either rotten or had hypomyces. For as wet as it has been in WPA, the woods aren't over-burdened with mushrooms. And not a single blackberry yet. By this time last year, I had probably 7-9 pounds.

PickinFungi and beagleboy like this.
  5. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

I'm new to chants and just trying to be safe. Can someone help with these pics. Thank you.

Attached Files:

beagleboy likes this.
  6. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

Some more

Attached Files:

beagleboy likes this.
  7. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

In your first post, the first pic is some kind of "coral" mushroom. The second and third are too orange, and the gills don't run down the stem. Could be a young jack o lantern. The fourth and fifth kind of look like an over the hill chant.

Your second post looks very hopeful! The right color and shape. would have been nice to see the underside of one of them. As always, do a spore print before you try!

PickinFungi and beagleboy like this.
  8. steelernation

Crown-tipped coral, then one of the waxy caps, 3rd looks like one of the cantharellus, or another that I can't quite remember.

beagleboy likes this.
  9. beagleboy

I found a few lactarius mushrooms but I couldn't key them out. IMG_4007.JPG IMG_4005.JPG

1 person likes this.
  10. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

Found these today, didn't pick anything. I just can't tell the difference between false chants and real ones. Jack o laterns grow on wood these are coming from dirt

Attached Files:

11. beagleboy

Pan its hard to give a good id with just pictures of the cap. One of the primary characteristics is the false gills, another is the flesh is white to slightly cream colored. Your pictures look to be chants but I haven't seen many in groups like your pictures, but I guess some have found them like that. False chanterelles usually have flesh the same color as the cap or close to it. The best way to get a good id is to tear the cap and stem length way and look at the flesh and gills. Some say they smell like apricots but I can't smell good enough to tell. To be 100% sure after you checked everything else do a spore print, it should be off white to light cream color. As far as mistaking for jacks I think once you see a jack-o-lantern you will be able to rule them out.

1 person likes this.
  12. shroomsearcher

True that! A couple of years ago i was dropping off something at a friend's house while he was at work. As agreed I put it out of sight on his back patio. As I was leaving I spotted something shroomy in one of his flower beds. I thought I had hit the Chant mother lode! But the more I looked, the more my doubt grew. These things were orange, not yellow. They grew in clusters, not singly. Further inspection revealed they were growing out of the wood mulch of the flower bed. They were jacks!

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  13. steelernation

Pan, yours are chants. Jacks grow much larger, have gills, and usually proper caps. They are more pumpkin colored, and they usually fade to brownish-orange. They also are much bigger and grow in big clumps, as opposed to chants, which might have a clump of 3-5, but will be shallowly in dirt. Chants also have that apricot smell, are pretty much always dry/drier and don't get slimy, even when wet. But that's just me...I think chants and jacks look as different as pumpkin and lemon meringue pies :p

14. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

Jmay and beagleboy like this.
  15. shroomsearcher

Good point! I know we're really not supposed to identify shrooms by eye only, but sight is the first test! Have you ever experienced a year on any mushroom forum where someone doesn't post a pic of Gyromitra and ask if it's a morel? HUH?! Doesn't look anything like a morel! Have you read, looked at, or studied anything? Or are you just wandering around the woods aimless and clueless! I want to just slap some of these people sometime!

16. steelernation

Early on, I/we did a number of spore prints and such, but firstly, I don't have the time to shroom like I used to, and secondly, experience leads to ease. However, I don't go after many/almost any gilled mushrooms, so that leaves boletes, polypores and all the others. I probably remember a good number of gilled mushrooms, but they aren't a necessity.

beagleboy likes this.
  17. beagleboy

I found an area that had over 4# of smooth chanterelles today. A lot of them were really buggy, but still picked about 2# of good ones. Some were a little weird on top, almost like the center of a flower. Never found any like that before. IMG_4012.JPG IMG_4013.JPG IMG_4010.JPG

3 people like this.
  18. shroomsearcher

Wow! Lots of Chants there! I hope to see something like that some day. Don't know exactly where you're located, but our undergrowth is nowhere near as developed as in your pic! Maybe the best is yet to come.

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  19. beagleboy

shroomsearcher I am in central pa. ( snyder co). In this area I found chanterelles every year since I have been harvesting them. I usually find them into the middle of sept. if it stays warm enough.

1 person likes this.
  20. shroomsearcher

Cool! You will be further along in the season than we are. In NE Ohio we get more cold from lake effect early in the year. My buddy moved to Pittsburgh and would drive up to go walleye fishing. He'd look around and say, "Wow! Our trees are all leafed out, while your trees have just popped!"

beagleboy likes this.