2019 SUMMER MUSHROOMS PA

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Jul 12, 2019.

1. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

I think the violet colored coral is edible but I didn't harvest it. IMG_4009.JPG IMG_4008.JPG

2. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Wow! That is a cool looking coral. I've never seen one like that!

It's been so stupid hot and humid lately that I can't motivate myself to go for a hike!

We got more rain this morning. I love the weather service. I'm watching the British Open about 8 AM and a weather warning comes on the screen. Flash flood watch for northern Trumbull Co., and severe thunderstorm warnings for Lawrence and Mercer Cos. in western PA. OK. Five minutes later, Hell is coming to breakfast right in my lap! I live in Mahoning Co., OH. Where was my warning?! It got as dark as night and looked like Armageddon!

Thankfully it was a quick hitter. We got a quick 1/2" of rain on top of the 2" we got the other day! The heat and humidity is supposed be out of here Monday and Tuesday, so those are my target days to get out!

beagleboy and Kokomorel like this.

3. pchunter1231

pchunter1231 Morel Connoisseur

Checked one of my spots before the blazing heat set in, picked around 3#s of chants in just a few minutes. Going to hit it hard this week once this heat wave goes away.

4. pchunter1231

pchunter1231 Morel Connoisseur

Picked another pound of chants tonight 80 yards from my back door. Normally i wont see them until early august but checked anyway. Glad i did. Good news is the other spot beside my house has not flushed yet and in the right conditions can easily pick 5 grocery bags full in one picking. Happy hunting.

5. beagleboy

Pan, wow that chant has 3 heads, are you close to a nuclear facility. lol

6. Pan0606

Pan0606 Morel Enthusiast

Lol
    Lol

1 person likes this.
  7. Skutch

Skutch Morel Enthusiast

These are definitely chanterelles. With all the rain we’ve had in NJ and the heat, I’ve found them growing in clusters and the caps are not your standard “vase” shape. Almost like cauliflower. But they are all smooth chants thus far. Some being huge and incredibly fresh and delicious.

8. Milikin

Milikin Morel Enthusiast

Jacks grow on wood ,Change grow in the dirt. Norvin Green has been good so far NJ.

beagleboy likes this.
  9. beagleboy

Took the beagle for a 3 mi hike today, didn't find much. Found some chanterelles that were pretty dry which surprised me because we had a nice rain on Monday. I did harvest enough for breakfast tomorrow. I also watched a turtle eating a russula. IMG_4017.JPG

10. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Cool picture!! Thanks for sharing.

11. SquirrelKing

SquirrelKing Morel Enthusiast

Been out a few times in the last week or so . Finding trumpets, chants , milkies, old mans , and Evan some cinnabars .

Attached Files:

12. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

SquirrellKing - Chants & Black Trumpets side-by-side make for a beautiful dramatic picture. Thanks for sharing.

13. SquirrelKing

Th
    they sure do

14. SquirrelKing

Took a little walk today and found a hand full of trumpies and this little old man with some jellies.

Attached Files:

15. SquirrelKing

Found a bunch of chants also but all buggy . Can’t seem to find chants without any residents. Lol

16. beagleboy

SquirrelKing, It's been that way for me the last few years. If they only have a couple of little holes in the stem I take them but a lot of what I find has the whole stem ate hollow. What area are you in, here in Snyder co. everything is dried up right now. Hoping for some rain next week.

1 person likes this.
  17. beagleboy

I did find some of these today. I think they are black staining polypores. IMG_4023.JPG IMG_4021.JPG

18. SquirrelKing

beagleboy likes this.