2019 SUMMER MUSHROOMS PA

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Jul 12, 2019.

1. celticcurl

celticcurl Morel Connoisseur

2. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Not much mushroom hunting for me. Spent some time up at camp with these two coyotes of the water way. Most interesting find was a hell bender found while swimming in creek. No pic camera and water don’t mix. Happy Exploring the wilds of PA! 9E6D5E36-69E0-4FA3-B46D-82CC2111256C.jpeg 548D5EBF-FB69-4B35-ADD0-D1E85C91A722.jpeg A41463D1-9427-4948-BC66-D07EA8913503.jpeg 4C8329FE-24C6-4B0B-AFD0-4EE794E477C9.jpeg

PickinFungi, Gibz, beagleboy and 6 others like this.

3. Gibz

Gibz Morel Enthusiast

4. Gibz

Gibz Morel Enthusiast

Found a good spot for chants. Could have picked a bunch more

5. SquirrelKing

SquirrelKing Morel Enthusiast

The Mrs. and me went for a walk yesterday afternoon and scored some trumpies , hand full of chants ,& two small old mans

Attached Files:

6. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I took a break between rounds of chores today to go walk a hardwood ridge near me. Didn't have a lot of time to spend, but I didn't need it! I wasn't 10 seconds in the woods when I spotted my first pair of smooth Chants that were over the hill, and dried up! Walking further I spotted other Chants, some dried out, but many just sprouted. Young and tender, but very small. there's rain in our forecast, and I need to be out there after it leaves.

There's a ton of Chants on that ridge, and a serious picker could have a field day! I just love a new discovery!

7. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

I went out for a big day of naturalizing all over WPA, and picked chants in four counties. None of them were huge hauls, but I think I got 4# or so. For all of the areas I know that I've gotten motherloads on before, none of those have produced again like that in the last 8-9 years. But we have a reasonable amount for pizzas and risotto and frittatas and such. Haven't found any of my favored boletes in years, either.

8. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

Seeing a lot of posts about Old Mans. I have seen them and never paid them much mind; didn't know anything about them. I am anxious to find this year and have my 1st taste. As I just did a quick search/study on them just now, I came across a recipe for them in Cajun browned venison in dark brown gravy. Looks delish. Can't wait to do my spore print . . .

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  9. SquirrelKing

Hey morelsxs,just got back in from my Sunday morning outing and check these out . I just brush them off and lightly coat the caps in olive oil ,salt,& pepper . Toss them on the grill or frying pan for a bit . I love them lol

1 person likes this.
  10. morelsxs

No pic SK but still jealous cuz I know it's somethin' good. :)

1 person likes this.
  11. SquirrelKing

Attached Files:

12. SquirrelKing

Sorry man , had some pic trouble lol it's there now

1 person likes this.
  13. morelsxs

See the pic, thanks. I'm on the look out; probably not gonna make it out 'til Tues . . . s'pose to have rain that day, too.

Kokomorel likes this.
  14. shroomsearcher

Kinda weird here in NE Ohio too. Mahoning Co. Haven't spotted a single bolete yet, even where I've found them with regularity in years past. But it was rainier at this time in the recent past. The woods I walked the other day were extremely dry and crackly! maybe after this next round of precip, the boletes will start coming.

15. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Hey King, when you post pics do them in full image. Be proud of them lol. Happy Hunting!

16. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

I took the beagle for a walk this afternoon to an area that I usually find lots of chanterelles. Everything was too dry but I did find some reishi, some were moldy but I harvested a couple that were still good. IMG_4024.JPG IMG_4025.JPG IMG_4026.JPG

PickinFungi, Gibz, Kokomorel and 4 others like this.
  17. SquirrelKing

I’ll try to do better with the pics next time Trahn . I was exhausted from Saturday trying to teach somebody how to catch catfish lol.

beagleboy likes this.
  18. shroomsearcher

What could possibly be tiring about that? Drown a worm, catch a catfish! ;)

19. SquirrelKing

I was just poking some fun at someone. Trahn is my fishing buddy and he struggled a tiny bit sat. All in fun

20. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

I found a few acres of chanterelles today. A lot were too buggy but I harvested a few pounds that weren't too bad. In Mifflin co. Pa. IMG_4030.JPG IMG_4031.JPG IMG_4032.JPG