Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
I took a break between rounds of chores today to go walk a hardwood ridge near me. Didn't have a lot of time to spend, but I didn't need it! I wasn't 10 seconds in the woods when I spotted my first pair of smooth Chants that were over the hill, and dried up! Walking further I spotted other Chants, some dried out, but many just sprouted. Young and tender, but very small. there's rain in our forecast, and I need to be out there after it leaves.

There's a ton of Chants on that ridge, and a serious picker could have a field day! I just love a new discovery!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I went out for a big day of naturalizing all over WPA, and picked chants in four counties. None of them were huge hauls, but I think I got 4# or so. For all of the areas I know that I've gotten motherloads on before, none of those have produced again like that in the last 8-9 years. But we have a reasonable amount for pizzas and risotto and frittatas and such. Haven't found any of my favored boletes in years, either.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The Mrs. and me went for a walk yesterday afternoon and scored some trumpies , hand full of chants ,& two small old mans
Seeing a lot of posts about Old Mans. I have seen them and never paid them much mind; didn't know anything about them. I am anxious to find this year and have my 1st taste. As I just did a quick search/study on them just now, I came across a recipe for them in Cajun browned venison in dark brown gravy. Looks delish. Can't wait to do my spore print . . .

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey morelsxs,just got back in from my Sunday morning outing and check these out . I just brush them off and lightly coat the caps in olive oil ,salt,& pepper . Toss them on the grill or frying pan for a bit . I love them lol

·
Registered
509 Posts
I went out for a big day of naturalizing all over WPA, and picked chants in four counties. None of them were huge hauls, but I think I got 4# or so. For all of the areas I know that I've gotten motherloads on before, none of those have produced again like that in the last 8-9 years. But we have a reasonable amount for pizzas and risotto and frittatas and such. Haven't found any of my favored boletes in years, either.
Kinda weird here in NE Ohio too. Mahoning Co. Haven't spotted a single bolete yet, even where I've found them with regularity in years past. But it was rainier at this time in the recent past. The woods I walked the other day were extremely dry and crackly! maybe after this next round of precip, the boletes will start coming.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts