2019 SUMMER MUSHROOMS PA

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Jul 12, 2019.

1. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

A picture of the area I hunted today ( Mifflin co. - Snyder co line ). Also todays harvest. IMG_4041.JPG IMG_4044.JPG

PickinFungi, Kokomorel, Gibz and 5 others like this.
  2. SquirrelKing

SquirrelKing Morel Enthusiast

1 person likes this.

3. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Yep all in good fun.. I give it to the King way more than he does me..LOL.. Happy Hunting!

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  4. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Got back out to that hardwood ridge Wednesday. We didn't get nearly the rain I was hoping for, and the woods were still really crackly! Crazy weather. After getting nearly drowned in early June, we're dying of thirst now!

Anyway, what I hoped might be prime was dried up and hard. Still a TON of pins out there! I hope we get some more rain soon to keep those from drying up. I worked the ridge and managed a pound and a quarter, pound and a half of nice ones. I walked into some new areas and found Chants there too. This whole ridge is covered with them! And Chants are the only shrooms of interest I saw there. I only saw 3 others, 2 of one kind growing together and 1 of another. Have never seen a morel there, or oyster or chicken or hen! Kinda weird if you ask me!

I'm so glad I remembered the bug repellent this time! Otherwise, they might have descended on me "en masse" and carried me away! One thing I will say about bug spray. They might not "light and bite" but it doesn't stop them from "buzzing the tower"! There are few things more irritating than that "high pitched whine" in my ear!

5. beagleboy

Found these today, I think they are black staining polypore but they weren't close to any dead stumps or trees. The one in the second picture was very tender and moist. I debated about harvesting it and seeing if I liked it but it was out in the middle of the path so I wasn't 100% sure of the id. IMG_4045.JPG IMG_4046.JPG

6. shroomsearcher

Was out running errands today and drove by a house that had a tree in the front yard that was just festooned with what looked like oysters! Didn't have time to stop, so will try to get back there tomorrow and see if I can find anybody to talk to. Also made me wonder what might be growing in the big woods across the street.

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  7. shroomsearcher

Well, went back yesterday to find over the hill oysters on a big, dead Ash snag! The bottom ten feet of bark on the trunk had slipped off, and that's where the oysters were growing. We had rain late yesterday, today, and looking at more tomorrow, so maybe there will be something more to look at later.

Meanwhile, I'm still thinking about Chants. The last (first) batch I found, I cleaned up, saved some for immediate use, and put the rest in the dehydrator. Most came out pretty much the same color they went in. However, some came out a very dark brown to almost black! Does this indicate any problem with the shrooms?

8. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

Have to say, this has been an awful chant and trumpet season in the harrisburg area. Had one good chant harvest in mid July, but since then, it has been extremely dry. Really hoping for some rain soon to encourage maitake and erinacium mycelial growth or the fall will suck as well.

9. ajack

ajack Morel Enthusiast

Found two monster flushes of chickens yesterday while mountain biking. We've had only 1 good rain recently here in Pittsburgh and it seems that's all they needed. Smooth Chants are drying out quickly but still tons of pins waiting on some moisture. Made a nice risotto out of a pound of chants this past weekend. Have yet to find any trumpets but I'll admit I have been looking for them all that hard. I am surprised by the lack of boletes I've run across. Was hoping to find at least 1 king and/or queen this year.

10. shroomsearcher

Well, we didn't get our rain today. Hopefully the inch we had over the last 2 days will be enough to keep things cooking. I'll be taking a short saunter through the woods tomorrow, just to check things out, with the objective of going out on a mission on Saturday. However, if the woods are prime tomorrow, they are close enough where I can morph into full hunt mode and get at them!

1 person likes this.
  11. shroomsearcher

I decided to go into full hunt mode today, since the weekend brings scads of people to the woods. Didn't find much! About a skillet full of Chants. The woods are still crackly dry!

An unexpected bonus was finding my first Reishi ever! At least I think that's what they are. They are a dark red to brown on top, and look like they've been varnished! The bottom is light tan to white. They look a lot like the photos of Reishi on this forum. I took them, so I guess I'll have to look up how to make the "tinctures".

12. shroomsearcher

I also found some over the hill boletes out there, which seems odd, since there were none when i went there last! The color was odd as well. They were a light yellow color, much lighter than the Chants!

13. Gibz

Gibz Morel Enthusiast

16C6E442-14A6-444C-A0FE-3BD0F9AF5A96.jpeg My buddy sent me this pic Friday evening asking if I knew what they were. With the flat camera angle hard to tell but definitely could be chants

14. Gibz

Gibz Morel Enthusiast

8BC001D6-C208-4FDB-A4A1-2FB46B087B85.jpeg I offered to come up first thing Saturday morning to check them out. They were indeed chants. They were as big and perfect as I had ever seen. We picked these in about 45 minutes. Could have picked 3 times as many but did not have time to clean and process

15. SquirrelKing

5F62457B-4485-4206-8C12-FC9AC67D1F12.jpeg Been very slow around here in Schuylkill co. But I happened to see these oysters growing on an ash tree .

16. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Even with all the storms that have come through the area, the woods aren't producing much. Saw a handful of trees with older oysters on them. Picked two Boletus innixus, which I haven't eaten in years and are a favorite. Nothing else to note.

17. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

SquirrellKing -- beautiful composition on the Oystersm pic, above. I loved the lighting and its' play on the mushroom gills. What were the two lighting sources: upper right and bottom middle? Thanks

18. SquirrelKing

hey sb -- nothing special going on there with the lighting. The upper light source is sun light shining through my kitchen window. The bottom is the light from stove . I have no photograghy skills what so ever ,lol . I just got lucky I guess . I just throw them on the counter and take a shot .

19. beagleboy

Went for a walk with the beagle today. Found a few chanterelles and an assortment of other mushrooms The oysters were to far gone and the chanterelles were small. The brown mushroom was very large and I think it is some sort of lactarius because it oozed a milky substance. I did harvest enough chanterelles for a meal. IMG_4052.JPG IMG_4051.JPG IMG_4050.JPG IMG_4049.JPG