2019 SUMMER MUSHROOMS PA

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Jul 12, 2019.

1. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

We got a decent rain Wednesday overnight into Thursday morning, which prompted me to hit that hardwood ridge again today. I was finding dried up crumbly remnants and was on the verge of going home when I decided to check a little slope I found more toward the bottom of the ridge that had done well for me the first time in there. Glad I did since there were Chants all over. Some real nice ones, biggest I've found yet, which isn't saying a whole lot since this is the first year I've hunted and found them. Most were good and solid, not all bug riddled. Better yet, there were tons of little pins that I left. I'll go back in 2-3 days to see what develops.

I'm not that familiar with Chants, but the growth progression on this ridge seems to run from top to bottom. That makes sense to my mind since it's an East facing ridge. The lower part gets the cooler morning sun, while the flat on top gets the hotter afternoon sun. I found Chants up there today as well, but they were hard and dried out, and a lot fewer pins than down below.

PickinFungi and beagleboy like this.
  2. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Holy huge, that's a big lactarius!

PickinFungi and beagleboy like this.

3. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

steeler, my knife is 4.5" closed so that would make it over 9" in diameter. I don't know if it was edible but it would have made a plateful.

PickinFungi likes this.
  4. DanCB

DanCB Morel Enthusiast

Yesterday was a stunningly beautiful day in the woods. The temp and dew point were pleasant and the breeze mostly kept the gnats at bay. We picked a basket of black trumpets, some boletes and chants and a nice young sulphur shelf cluster. Thursday's 2+ inches of rain really woke thing up. All were found in the DWGNRA, Northampton County.

PickinFungi and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

Hey everyone, could this be Chaga? This would be my first find.
    Thanks

6. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

Sorry picture won’t load in the woods. I’ll put it up later

7. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

beagleboy, PickinFungi and Barnacle like this.
  8. shroomsearcher

Wow! Never seen or heard of that. What is it?

beagleboy and PickinFungi like this.
  9. trahn008

Searcher, just google chaga. Tried to post some links for you but this site will not let me do it!!

10. shroomsearcher

Cool. Will do. Thanks!

PickinFungi likes this.
  11. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

Very cool!! I've never found any out here in CA. Cool photo too!

12. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

WOW! That's a big Lactarius! Cool find....

13. beagleboy

Yesterday I went to an area that had chanterelle pins last week. There wasn't any sign of them but I did find a large area of entoloma abortivum. I have never tried it and didn't harvest any. I also found this old chicken. I think its too dry here in central pa. IMG_4055.JPG IMG_4056.JPG IMG_4057.JPG

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  14. beagleboy

I think this mushroom is a galerina, could be a honey mushroom (not sure didn't take a spore print). Also a view of Shade mountain in Snyder co. from where I was hunting mushrooms yesterday. IMG_4059.JPG IMG_4060.JPG IMG_4062.JPG IMG_4058.JPG

15. steelernation

It's not a honey, and I'm not sure it's a galerina, either. Color, gills and stalk don't look right to me, but it's been a while, too. The abortive ents seem early. I almost always find good flushes of honeys around abortive ents. Good luck!

PickinFungi and (deleted member) like this.
  16. beagleboy

steeler, I did some more research on the galerina and I don't believe it is one of them either. I wish I would have taken a spore print. I found many of the abortive entoloma last year but have never tried any. I think some people call them the shrimp of the woods, do they taste like shrimp.

17. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

these are armillaria tabescens. ringless honeys.

Jmay, beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  18. steelernation

Thanks, CW. I don't find those very often at all, and certainly never the first week of September. Didn't realize they can have decurrant gills.

beagleboy likes this.
  19. trahn008

Been dry local for me. Kind of missed the 2 week window this summer for chants and trumpets, but hoping for a later flush with some rain. Was out on Sunday with Benny on the 4 wheeler and the area's where void of all mushroom life. We need a nice 2 day soaking rain. Happy Hunting!

beagleboy likes this.