Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
We got a decent rain Wednesday overnight into Thursday morning, which prompted me to hit that hardwood ridge again today. I was finding dried up crumbly remnants and was on the verge of going home when I decided to check a little slope I found more toward the bottom of the ridge that had done well for me the first time in there. Glad I did since there were Chants all over. Some real nice ones, biggest I've found yet, which isn't saying a whole lot since this is the first year I've hunted and found them. Most were good and solid, not all bug riddled. Better yet, there were tons of little pins that I left. I'll go back in 2-3 days to see what develops.

I'm not that familiar with Chants, but the growth progression on this ridge seems to run from top to bottom. That makes sense to my mind since it's an East facing ridge. The lower part gets the cooler morning sun, while the flat on top gets the hotter afternoon sun. I found Chants up there today as well, but they were hard and dried out, and a lot fewer pins than down below.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yesterday was a stunningly beautiful day in the woods. The temp and dew point were pleasant and the breeze mostly kept the gnats at bay. We picked a basket of black trumpets, some boletes and chants and a nice young sulphur shelf cluster. Thursday's 2+ inches of rain really woke thing up. All were found in the DWGNRA, Northampton County.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's not a honey, and I'm not sure it's a galerina, either. Color, gills and stalk don't look right to me, but it's been a while, too. The abortive ents seem early. I almost always find good flushes of honeys around abortive ents. Good luck!

·
Registered
587 Posts
It's not a honey, and I'm not sure it's a galerina, either. Color, gills and stalk don't look right to me, but it's been a while, too. The abortive ents seem early. I almost always find good flushes of honeys around abortive ents. Good luck!
steeler, I did some more research on the galerina and I don't believe it is one of them either. I wish I would have taken a spore print. I found many of the abortive entoloma last year but have never tried any. I think some people call them the shrimp of the woods, do they taste like shrimp.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Been dry local for me. Kind of missed the 2 week window this summer for chants and trumpets, but hoping for a later flush with some rain. Was out on Sunday with Benny on the 4 wheeler and the area's where void of all mushroom life. We need a nice 2 day soaking rain. Happy Hunting!

81 - 100 of 103 Posts