2019 Texas Morel Season

Discussion in 'Texas' started by morelorel, Feb 6, 2019.

1. benthegrate

benthegrate Morel Connoisseur

Morel Connoisseur
    Finds reported from a reliable source in Austin today. Morels up north have no qualms being frozen and thawing back out, but need to be picked and cooked quickly. I harvested 10# of yellowfoot chanterelles once on the Olympic peninsula that were frozen solid, poking up out of the snow. The texture of a mushroom definitely changes after freezing, but still fantastic for soups and other applications where it's contributing flavor, but texture isn't primary

1 person likes this.
  2. Mushroom Geologist

Mushroom Geologist Morel Enthusiast

I'm going to be camping at Cooper Lake State Park soon, I may accidentally walk through the woods there and find some morels and they may accidentally end up in a back pack. I'll let you know if I find any. I'm also going to be looking the the Sulfur River nearby for fossils....I'll be looking for morels as well. Again I'll let you know if I find any. Never have looked in the area so Ill give it a try.

LindaleTexas likes this.

3. Mushroom Geologist

I cant feel my fingers, I cant feel my toes..
    I cant feel my ears, nor my nose....
    I searched high, I searched low...
    I believe it was cold enough today to snow....
    I didn't give up, I was all go
    2019 Morel Season...I hope I find more to show!!!!

All these were found today. I found about a dozen more greys but they were tiny.

Attached Files:

4. LindaleTexas

LindaleTexas Morel Enthusiast

Nice finds! I also searched high and low today but without luck.

5. Mushroom Geologist

I found the larger ones in rather new forest growth. Trees that were probably only 4yrs old. I assume there are a lot of rotting elm roots underneath the dirt from when the area was cut several years back.

HoosierInTexas likes this.
  6. HoosierInTexas

HoosierInTexas Morel Enthusiast

What impact do y'all think this cold spell will have on the season? The 80's one week, then below freezing a few weeks later... I don't know whether to keep looking, I worry that the temperature extremes will make it another bad year. Also, when I was out last week (before these freezes) I couldn't believe how quickly the woods were greening up, ground cover-wise. It was pretty worrisome for a somewhat novice like myself, only ever having found any morels up north in the Hoosier state.

7. morelorel

morelorel Morel Connoisseur

I think for patches that have started fruiting it could burn the tips of some from frostbite. I think hard freezes in general are bad this late in the life cycle. Although there are pictures of morels fruiting in the snow so maybe they will flush again regardless. For areas yet to begin fruiting it could prolong and enhance any flushes if this cooler than usual weather pattern holds along with decent moisture.

HoosierInTexas likes this.
  8. Mushroom Geologist

The impact was bad for my little tiny grey morel patch I found Tuesday afternoon. They looked all shriveled up. The frost got them. I still picked them and will use them in soups. Didn't even look today but Ill be out in force tomorrow and over the weekend. MORE RAIN AND 70 WEATHER!!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. Mushroom Geologist

Found 3 little grey morels today but they looked like survivors from the nasty cold front we had 4 days ago. No new growth so far. Getting good weather here.

10. tonsoffungus

tonsoffungus Morel Enthusiast

802B9145-C19C-468E-AE7C-D9C86B3DA50B.jpeg Was surprised to find 14 dried out morels today. Must have popped right before the cold weather.

1 person likes this.
  11. Mushroom Geologist

2 days worth of finds...looking like they are starting to turn back on after the cold fronts and recent rain.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. Mushroom Geologist

I found one yesterday that the top looked like that. I thought the same thing as well.

1 person likes this.
  13. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

pretty common up north with the late freezes. The tops rot off, but those got fried. How cold did you get? Usually if there is a lot of leaf litter and it does not hit the low twenties for to long most survive. Did you get just one cold night?

14. Mushroom Geologist

Went out looking with my daughter yesterday on our property and we found quite a few greys. One of my grey hot spots yielded more so far than it did last year and found another spot on the property that started growing some from previous spore inoculation efforts. Starting to look like a good year. Haven't hardly seen the yellow morels yet.

15. Mushroom Geologist

Just got back from Cooper Lake State Park, South Sulfur Unit of the park and there are a ton of elms around that park. I believe the weather hasn't been great for that area yet but the weather is getting really prime up there. I looked on our family hike and we didn't find any. May try in a few weeks again.

16. tonsoffungus

tonsoffungus Morel Enthusiast

KB, we actually had a multi day freeze right at the beginning of March...with a few 80 degree days beforehand. I think the little guys I found froze pretty hard. Anyway, they are definitely going in a sauce! Back at it today...headed south from DFW. Went north to red river/state line yesterday and seems just a bit early there still

17. morelorel

Good luck on your trip South. Should be something poppin right now. I gotta wait a week or two before I venture out. Last year I took too many trips south too early and almost got burned out from being skunked lol. Not this year I'm being patient and waiting for a worthwile time to make a trip. If I see some big flushes reported after this weekend though I may not wait afterall!

18. morelorel

Screenshot_2019-03-17-22-19-16.png
    Chris Matherly predicts a poor season for Texas. Damnit. Oh well there's always Oklahoma and Arkansas just a few hours drive.

19. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Old Chris has me in the middle of Epic, well we will see.

20. LindaleTexas

LindaleTexas Morel Enthusiast

Found my first ever Texas Morel today! I was beginning to think the fact that they grow in East Texas was some kind of joke on me, but now I know.

Attached Files: