2019 Texas Morel Season

Discussion in 'Texas' started by morelorel, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Mushroom Geologist

Mushroom Geologist Morel Enthusiast

Old Chris has me in poor but Ive been finding them left and right on my place.

2. morelorel

morelorel Morel Connoisseur

After thinking about it and looking at some old weather reports I'm assuming his prediction is more for Central Texas based on the record drought then extreme flooding last October on the Llano, Brazos, and Colorado river systems. All those river bank beds will probably be toast for this year including lake whitney. I haven't seen much reported from the hill country this year either. The rest of Texas should be fine. I'm looking forward to the next few weeks in the Red River Valley.

3. mce007

mce007 Young Morel

Thanks for the report. We have 100 acres in between Bonham and Paris that’s all wooded. Walked around for a couple of hours looking with no luck. Only found a few Ash trees. I’m still pretty new at this and probably walked by a whole mess of them. Lol

HoosierInTexas likes this.
  4. Mushroom Geologist

I found these today in another spot on my property in a creek bottom that I have. Perfect place near the crossroads of 2 creeks, several large elms and a rather large sycamore tree. Literally was chased out by wild hogs. Luckily mamma ran across the creek but a piglet was left behind so I didn't stick around and left about a dozen more small morels behind. Momma came back but i was already packing out. Bringing my gun next time. Fried pork and fried morels...mmmmmmmmmmm.

Attached Files:

5. Mushroom Geologist

I still think its to early up there. If they are growing they would be tiny at the moment. The weather is getting perfect for us East Texans now. High 60's to Low 70's and staying upper 40's at night. Getting the right amount of rain as well.

6. tonsoffungus

tonsoffungus Morel Enthusiast

The dried out ones I found last week were in the north end of the hill country in a spot that does not fruit every year but does well some years. Haven't seen any new growth there yet, but I'm definitely going back...pretty chunk of woods at least.

7. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

8. Mushroom Geologist

Biggest day yet. Its starting to pick up around here. The yellow morels are now popping up in areas I had already picked a lot of greys earlier.

Attached Files:

9. Mushroom Geologist

Finally finding the larger yellow morels.

Attached Files:

10. Palmertree84

Palmertree84 Young Morel

Found these near Tyler. 30 miles outside of Tyler

11. morelorel

morelorel Morel Connoisseur

20190323_200503.jpg 20190323_133834.jpg 20190323_133402.jpg 20190323_112550.jpg
    Finally got into a small mess of Morels, Between Sherman spots and Cartwright spots. Next week should be really good, "ray charles" type finds. I.e when they are so big even Ray Charles couldn't miss em lol. Some of these I walked past 5 times before noticing they were so small.

12. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Morel Enthusiast

So Im new here and glad to see some are being found in texas. Ive always stopped in here to see what has been found. Im from Indiana and grew up hunting these guys there as a kid. I live northeast of Denton now and going out here in the morning. Hoping to find a pot of gold. Man that'd awesome! I grin from ear to ear like a kid looking at these pictures. :)

13. Mushroom Geologist

MEGA FIND today!!!! I found some really big ones as well, with my daughter and my youngest son. Mostly under cedars in mixed woods. Several went over 6.5". I use the same spoon in all my picks so you can see the progression of size throughout my season in the East Texas area.

Attached Files:

14. mce007

mce007 Young Morel

NICE!!!! I’ll be heading back up to Paris one day this week. I’ll let you know if there is any action.

15. Mushroom Geologist

Good luck. Going to get some rain so that should help. I feel like the Cooper Lake area would be good as well. Im just finding to many here in Tyler area. Most were actually under cedar trees in mixed forest. I have yet to find any near and under pine. Must be too acidic.

16. tonsoffungus

tonsoffungus Morel Enthusiast

181FFE56-2FDE-481A-B680-3B8A3424D8EC.jpeg 0B7EE346-7C0A-46B2-B4B7-CF4B9CC73834.jpeg Good finds! I found a few near Hillsboro.

17. LindaleTexas

LindaleTexas Morel Enthusiast

That’s incredible! How much longer do you feel the Tyler area will produce?

18. HoosierInTexas

HoosierInTexas Morel Enthusiast

Hey Brian, I'm a Hoosier transplant too. Last year was my first year looking down here, with no luck. And no luck so far this year, either. All the woods seem so overgrown already. Must not be looking in the right places. I'm in the metroplex. I'd be thrilled to find even just one down here, to show my family back up in Indiana!

19. Mushroom Geologist

Maybe 2 weeks. I found a lot last year but way more this year. The areas that I found them in are all growing about the same order as it did last year. Although I did think my season was over and I found an area that gave me a 5 gallon bucket full last year. That area bloomed 3 weeks after I thought my season was over. I have yet to see one in that area......COME ON BABY PRODUCE!!!!!

HawkeyeMerkels likes this.