2019 Texas Morel Season

Discussion in 'Texas' started by morelorel, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Mushroom Geologist

Mushroom Geologist Morel Enthusiast

Look for cedars now in mixed woods. My arms are all cut up from running into the thickest crap there is. Thats where I'm finding them. Im 6'2" so I just run in like a bull in a china closet with one thing on my mind....morels. Maybe thats why I look like my avatar...lol, kidding. Dont be afraid of those ticks, copperheads, feral hogs....those morels need help.

2. galvestionbill

galvestionbill Young Morel

sounds great.... they are late this year

3. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Morel Enthusiast

Ive went out the last few days and am finding other fungis which is always cool to see but No Morels yet. Im going to head out for a bit this afternoon and see if I cant find mess of them. Yesterday I stepped on a 6 foot snake..not sure what it was, I jumped higher than i ever have in my life and think I was moving in the opposite direction before i ever hit the ground!..lol

4. mce007

mce007 Young Morel

I walked around for a couple of hours yesterday after work and found nothing. I looked at every cedar and ash I found. So far I’ve covered almost half of our hundred acres within the last 2 weeks. Maybe they just don’t grow out my way. Not giving up just getting frustrated. Heading up to Mo. in a couple of weeks. Hopefully we will have better luck there.

5. HoosierInTexas

HoosierInTexas Morel Enthusiast

Same here, still looking but no luck so far. Still hoping to make that first find, though. Maybe I need to get out of the city, lol.

6. Mushroom Geologist

I'm out in the sticks. Most of the area I'm finding them at is somewhat dense woods in moist soil. There should be some direct sunlight hitting the area. Also in a creek bottom or near running water on sloping hills. All my hills are western/southern sloping.

HoosierInTexas likes this.
  7. tonsoffungus

tonsoffungus Morel Enthusiast

Hoosier and Brian. This is my 4th season hunting in TX. I live in DFW. Started from scratch and have managed to find at least some most years. Found ~20 so far this year, and I think this weekend is the one. I have a few spots that have already produced this year in the hill country. Hitting those Saturday (and too squirrely to share my known spots). But I am also headed up to the Red River on Sunday to check new spots that I scouted early this spring. And I'd be willing to have company. At least you'd get a feel for the area and where there is legal public land. And hopefully we would find some. Reply here if you are interested, and I'll send contact info.

8. HoosierInTexas

Tonsoffungus, that sounds awesome and I appreciate the offer, but work on Saturday and a birthday commitment keeps me in town on Sunday, though I will try to get out and do some searching at some point in the day. You bring up another good point -- searching on legal public land. I haven't had to worry about picking on public land yet (or any land for that matter) but I had forgotten about the restrictions of where one can legally pick. Thanks for the reminder, and the offer. Good luck out there this weekend, I hope you hit the shroom jackpot!

HawkeyeMerkels likes this.
  9. mmh

mmh Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thank you for your response to gudenhots post on the Indiana board. I have sent you a private message concerning the issue.

10. Mushroom Geologist

Still finding morels. Looking like the season is winding down around my parts of the Tyler area though. Found one huge shelf mushroom as well near the largest morel of the season.

Attached Files:

11. HoosierInTexas

Wow, that third picture is amazing. Any idea how much that one weighed? Sounds like you've done pretty well this season, congrats!

Mushroom Geologist likes this.
  12. morelorel

morelorel Morel Connoisseur

Had an awesome day Friday. Just under 5lbs , 123 morels from Sherman and Texoma spots.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  13. HoosierInTexas

Whoa, you're killing me, Smalls! Jealous as can be -- I'd hoped to go out today but that wind chill was brutal. Nicely done!

1 person likes this.
  14. Brian Smith

that would have been awesome had I not be working. let me know what you find

15. Brian Smith

WOW!

16. Brian Smith

Im so Jealous right now but Im grinning and happy for you..lol

17. HoosierInTexas

Went out Sunday briefly, didn't find any morels but some poison ivy found me :(! Hope this little cool spell slowed them down or extends their season a little longer...

18. Mushroom Geologist

Hoping this cool weather will extend my season a week longer. My last hot spot that always blooms late in the season has started to bloom. I hardly find anymore after this spot does its thing... good news though...my brother moved to Wisconsin....heading up there in May.

19. HoosierInTexas

Lucky you, to have two different hunting grounds with staggered seasons. If I can, I might head up to Indiana in May, but I'm afraid that may be too late. There's been reports of finds from Louisville/Evansville areas so far.

20. Mushroom Geologist

Only searched for 10 min and found these in my last hot spot. This is probably it for my season here. Also found this mushroom...looks like a bolete. Not sure if its an edible worthy one.

Attached Files: