2019 Texas Morel Season

Discussion in 'Texas' started by morelorel, Feb 6, 2019.

1. benthegrate

benthegrate Morel Connoisseur

Does the yellow pore surface of your bolete stain blue when bruised? It's very early in the season for that family of mushrooms!

2. Mushroom Geologist

Mushroom Geologist Morel Enthusiast

Not sure. I believe the blue staining ones are to be left alone.

3. huntintheworld

huntintheworld Young Morel

Does anyone think that there will be any left in north Texas on the 1st weekend of May?

4. benthegrate

benthegrate Morel Connoisseur

Not a chance!

5. huntintheworld

That is the first chance I get to head that way from west Texas. Guess I can only hope for next year.

6. morelorel

morelorel Morel Connoisseur

Went out Monday for our last haul of the Texas season. It wasn't an awful year afterall in Ntex. Had good fruitings not poor no thank you Chris Matherly lol.

I don't think there will be any left in May sorry. By that time youll have to be way up north in the midwest or in the Rockies hunting burns. I'll be focusing my efforts this month on Oklahoma and Arkansas, then Colorado in May. Til next year, Texans enjoy those harvests!

Attached Files:

7. huntintheworld

I might have a chance to go North for one of the days, good luck to you on your ventures.

8. Palmertree84

Palmertree84 Young Morel

Still out Thought it was to late

Attached Files:

9. morelorel

morelorel Morel Connoisseur

Good one. I've suspicious they're still up on the Texas side. Saw a good report on FB from Wisw county this weekend. Clean em out leave none behind!

10. Mushroom Geologist

I doubt it. I live about 2 hrs south of the north eastern border of Texas. I haven't found one in 3 weeks around here. I went camping near Paris Tx this past weekend and the area is full of elms and didn't find any at all.

11. Dee'Morel

Dee'Morel Morel Enthusiast

12. Dee'Morel

I'm from Indiana. Been here getting treatments for the big C. I've been thinking about Texas morels and every day think I'm gonna go to hunting. But those treatments so very frustratingly and the 1st thing in my life to keep me from doing what I want, when i want and where and how I want. Indiana last year was not a good year for morels. My brother and I hunted high and low. They are finding like crazy this year right now! I'll be heading home sometime this week. I told them to buy and freeze a pound of yellows for me. Reading all these articles...Y'all made my day! I'll be back next year and will hunt all the way back to Indiana.

13. Mushroom Geologist

Is it to early to talk about the 2020 Texas morel season......man it seems like Christmas all over again as a kid....

14. HoosierInTexas

HoosierInTexas Morel Enthusiast

Hey Dee, Sorry to hear about your reasons for being here, though we've got some of the best medical facilities here and hopefully they'll get you back home asap and as good as can be. I'm also a hoosier, transplanted many years ago, so I follow the Indiana forum also and they are really hitting it this year. I just learned morels grow in Texas a couple of years ago, and have been searching since (with no luck). I think the weather is so tricky here, with 90 degree days, then back to freezing; I'm sure that I am also starting too late. I started in March this year, and the woods were already greening up. I hope you'll feel up to getting out in the woods when you make it back next week. Southern and mid Indiana are done, but they're still finding them way up north. Take care.

15. Dee'Morel

HoosierInTexas,
    Thank you for your words of hope. Morels in Texas hadn't dawned on me till the day I wrote that. I didn't get home for 21/2 more weeks actually. Since my immune system is low I picked up an awful flu bug. I'm actually going to try hunting them today though. I'm reading they are still being found. Long and very prosperous hunting season in Indy!

16. Dee'Morel

MDAnderson is the best for sure. I'm already very much missing thier expertise delivered with educating the patient to make an informed decision and kindness. Hoosiers are tough and hard. I was born in Houston Texas. Found I have that kind decency while I was there.

17. Dee'Morel

Morel enthusiast,
    Not too early for me!