Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
93K views 351 replies 53 participants last post by  freeflow581 
#1 ·
False morel Fungus Mushroom Agaricomycetes Plant
Well, the anticipation has begun. Please post your Wisconsin shroom hopes, your finds and any crazy fun right here!

See less See more
#13 ·
you guys got it bad. it is 20 below zero outside and you are thinking morels.

I hope not to miss too much of the season. I will be in Argentina and Chile the beginning of May.

Happy New year to youz !

saw these morels in Milwaukee last weekend. (none were at the domes :D)

Had to do a double take, originally thought picture was of what's in jar. Thought mine never look like that?

#14 ·
Start scouting new spots now, it’s s good time to find new spots.
I'd love to be in the woods early to find that fresh dead elm that's tucked away in a valley that's difficult to get to. But a mere 500 miles separates me from doing that. I know the areas I hunt pretty well and GPS allows me to go in without much worry of finding my way back to the car. I have those spots that really produced years ago as way points, but I've found that the dead elms come and go so I spend my first day finding the line and then go to the topo maps for like sides of hills and elevation. I find and hunt completely new areas every years and now have several old spots that I haven't visited in two or three years. I still enjoy road hunting elms, even when season is long gone.

#15 ·
Road hunting elms can be dangerous to your health! I road hunt year round as well for trees (standing, fallen, logged), hunting spots, berry patches, creeks, shrooms and more; many close calls that say I need to be payin' attention to the road. :eek: Actually thinkin' of using some modern technology this year to mark spots/GPS rather than my notebook! o_O Better to find the exact spot rather than general location . . .

#28 ·
The anticipation is growing by the minute so I thought i'd share my recent morel gear purchase for anyone trying to figure out a better way to haul the haul.

Bought a cooler backpack from eddie baeur for $25. Can fit 3 empty 42 oz oatmeal containers inside. Crush proof place for a good sized batch of shrooms.

Before you get all spore-y on me, I have used a mesh bag one year and it never ended well. My beautiful morels were trashed by the time I got back. I go through so much thick, hard to penetrate sections that it was constantly getting hung up on everything. Not fun.

Good luck to everyone this season! As usual, i'll most likely post honest pics of my first few finds and then fade into the background as the season gets hot.

Rook

Attachments

#41 ·
The anticipation is growing by the minute so I thought i'd share my recent morel gear purchase for anyone trying to figure out a better way to haul the haul.

Bought a cooler backpack from eddie baeur for $25. Can fit 3 empty 42 oz oatmeal containers inside. Crush proof place for a good sized batch of shrooms.

Before you get all spore-y on me, I have used a mesh bag one year and it never ended well. My beautiful morels were trashed by the time I got back. I go through so much thick, hard to penetrate sections that it was constantly getting hung up on everything. Not fun.

Good luck to everyone this season! As usual, i'll most likely post honest pics of my first few finds and then fade into the background as the season gets hot.

Rook
I'd still take a mesh bag just in case you find the mother load. Don't make a rookie mistake 3 miles in and not be able to get your haul out. I always take at least two mesh bags and several plastic Walmart sacks just in case. Plan C is to tie a knot in my tee shirt and use it as a bag. Good luck.

#38 ·
View attachment 13200 Finding some good O’le Elms, Frost is coming out just right & snow pack is melting slowly. Perfect setup for morels. The bark is a good example of dead American Elm. View attachment 13202 View attachment 13204

Old Elm, last picture looks more like it may be an ash tree that has been infested with the emerald ash borer than an elm. There are an increasing number of trees with this damaged bark pattern and only going to be getting worse.

#42 ·
Oh yes. I just didn't know if the bark cross sample came from first tree. Hard to tell from looking at picture on a little screen, kinda looked like lots of woodpecker holes picking out ash borer larvae. I certainly believe you that it's an elm. One "Old Elm" can always spot another old elm!!! Best of luck to ya this year, look forward to your posts and finds.

#53 ·
Vegetable Ramp Plant Flowering plant Food
Food Delmonico steak Steak Dish Cuisine
Food Red meat Dish Beef Veal
Vegetable Ramp Plant Flowering plant Food
Food Delmonico steak Steak Dish Cuisine
Food Red meat Dish Beef Veal
Getting pummeled with an April snowstorm here in WI today so spending my time looking at morel progression maps and watching youtube videos of our friends down south picking. Oh the pain! Hahaha. Few more weeks and I will be heading to Illinois to follow em up. May even do the UP this year and some burn sites. Got a nice mess of ramps yesterday. Cooked some up with a Wisconsin Wagyu beef New York strip. Froze the rest of the ramps for when I can cook them with some shrooms.

#56 ·
View attachment 14732 View attachment 14734 View attachment 14736 View attachment 14732 View attachment 14734 View attachment 14736 Getting pummeled with an April snowstorm here in WI today so spending my time looking at morel progression maps and watching youtube videos of our friends down south picking. Oh the pain! Hahaha. Few more weeks and I will be heading to Illinois to follow em up. May even do the UP this year and some burn sites. Got a nice mess of ramps yesterday. Cooked some up with a Wisconsin Wagyu beef New York strip. Froze the rest of the ramps for when I can cook them with some shrooms.
Steak and ramps, boy hard to beat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.