Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

181 - 200 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So the color really doesn’t matter at all? It seems weird to see people pick the white gray and black ones as I’ve never seen those in the store.

·
Registered
25 Posts
66A39A49-B1A0-4737-9CEC-1BC2FB2A7F25.jpeg
I can’t even brag that I found the first morel of the season because my 14 year old son found the first one around Milwaukee. Ground still feels cold and air is still chilly. This is the latest start of the season that I can remember for quite some years. I would guess they are up in the lower half of the state but would be on the small size like the one we found. Looks like warmer temps next week. Happy hunting his weekend everyone.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Glad to hear it is a slow start. I am in Ushuaia Argentina right now. No morels found here. Will be back in my spots next weekend. Expect a post of finds by Saturday morning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all!
I'm happy to have found this group. I moved back to WI after living on the west coast the past 10 years and am really glad to learn that the mushroom hunting here is just as good. Sadly I'm finding that a lot of the mushroom/plant relationships that I learned out west don't hold true here in the mid-west but, I'm hoping to find at least 1 stuffer this spring!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ramps + Fiddleheads are in abundance!

I'm going to check for morels in central Wisconsin on Sunday, NE Wisconsin on Monday and upper Michigan the following week. Hoping to find my first morel! So glad i found this site!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't see much of anything today in Marinette Co. around my solid bolete and chicken spots or the newer logging units. It's been chilly up here but definitely supposed to warm up this week

·
Registered
33 Posts
IMG_20190510_193242500.jpg
My first sighting, NW Waukesha County on my property.

Way too small to harvest. I have two bountiful locations on my property, but only saw one small one. Hopefully things improve as it warms up this week.

·
Registered
230 Posts
BINGO! The season has started in southern Wisconsin. I found these silvers(greys) in my red zones and they will be for breakfast mixed into scrambled eggs and green peppers. Here's my take on the season's start: S..... L..... O.....W. The soil temperatures are above 50 F but not by much. There is adequate moisture in the ground; however, the air temperature is below normal for this time of year. Looks like the week after Mother's Day will fire up. 002.JPG 007.JPG

·
Registered
33 Posts
"air temperature is below normal for this time of year. Looks like the week after Mother's Day will fire up"
I agree the air temp is relatively cool. I hope you're right about the season being late, instead of missing out totally this year.

·
Registered
724 Posts
pikemen7, over a dozen in 15 minutes. If you have fish, I have the morels. Now we need someone with the wine. Where are you staking your claims Bro.?
I like the way you think, I'd like to join you guys for dinner, but once you've got pike, morels, and wine I don't know what I'd add to cover admission.

·
Registered
724 Posts
"air temperature is below normal for this time of year. Looks like the week after Mother's Day will fire up"
I agree the air temp is relatively cool. I hope you're right about the season being late, instead of missing out totally this year.
We all talk about seasonal indicators that it's about to start, can't remember which forum, but someone said they had an asparagus that told them they were a week late. Nothing worse than a rotten mother load. I'm about 50 miles due north of Indianapolis and we're at tail end of season. Here's some indicators you slept in too long:
1) red buds have leaves
2) tulip trees have dropped their blossoms
3) tulips are just stems
4) lilac flowers are browning up
See all these in combination you'd better know your northern bottoms pretty well or you have a year to wait.

181 - 200 of 354 Posts