2019 Wisconsin Morel Season

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by avngal, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Hydrallus

Hydrallus Young Morel

So the color really doesn’t matter at all? It seems weird to see people pick the white gray and black ones as I’ve never seen those in the store.

2. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

@wade and @mmh . Thanks for all you do clearing spam on other forums. I'll be clearing mine tomorrow morning, wish it was with Morels.
    Spam =

垃圾邮件 spam.jpg

3 people like this.

3. milwaukee hunter

milwaukee hunter Morel Enthusiast

66A39A49-B1A0-4737-9CEC-1BC2FB2A7F25.jpeg I can’t even brag that I found the first morel of the season because my 14 year old son found the first one around Milwaukee. Ground still feels cold and air is still chilly. This is the latest start of the season that I can remember for quite some years. I would guess they are up in the lower half of the state but would be on the small size like the one we found. Looks like warmer temps next week. Happy hunting his weekend everyone.

3 people like this.
  4. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Man ! those Snakes bout Ruin the innocent Happy Fun For me .. eeeee !

1 person likes this.
  5. pikemen7

pikemen7 Morel Enthusiast

We are getting off to a slow start but Bountiful. They will spread out and be very abundant soon we need some sunshine plenty of water

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  6. pikemen7

pikemen7 Morel Enthusiast

Okay Gold Digger how many...lol

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  7. rookiemistake19

rookiemistake19 Morel Connoisseur

I got a how many for ya too. Thankfully not one crossed into the yard of the family that was watching me with that puzzled look on their face. Waukesha county

Attached Files:

8. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

When I grew up we regularly ate that for dinner. I actually have some to cook up cause I still think it's pretty good.

Inthewild and (deleted member) like this.
  9. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

I'm in for 19

2 people like this.
  10. freeflow581

freeflow581 Morel Connoisseur

Glad to hear it is a slow start. I am in Ushuaia Argentina right now. No morels found here. Will be back in my spots next weekend. Expect a post of finds by Saturday morning.

11. TjE

TjE Young Morel

Hello all!
    I'm happy to have found this group. I moved back to WI after living on the west coast the past 10 years and am really glad to learn that the mushroom hunting here is just as good. Sadly I'm finding that a lot of the mushroom/plant relationships that I learned out west don't hold true here in the mid-west but, I'm hoping to find at least 1 stuffer this spring!

1 person likes this.
  12. Jan Carlo Marquez

Jan Carlo Marquez Young Morel

Ramps + Fiddleheads are in abundance!

I'm going to check for morels in central Wisconsin on Sunday, NE Wisconsin on Monday and upper Michigan the following week. Hoping to find my first morel! So glad i found this site!

1 person likes this.
  13. TjE

TjE Young Morel

I didn't see much of anything today in Marinette Co. around my solid bolete and chicken spots or the newer logging units. It's been chilly up here but definitely supposed to warm up this week

1 person likes this.
  14. M3Shell

M3Shell Morel Enthusiast

IMG_20190510_193242500.jpg My first sighting, NW Waukesha County on my property.

Way too small to harvest. I have two bountiful locations on my property, but only saw one small one. Hopefully things improve as it warms up this week.

2 people like this.
  15. gold diggers

gold diggers Morel Connoisseur

BINGO! The season has started in southern Wisconsin. I found these silvers(greys) in my red zones and they will be for breakfast mixed into scrambled eggs and green peppers. Here's my take on the season's start: S..... L..... O.....W. The soil temperatures are above 50 F but not by much. There is adequate moisture in the ground; however, the air temperature is below normal for this time of year. Looks like the week after Mother's Day will fire up. 002.JPG 007.JPG

16. gold diggers

gold diggers Morel Connoisseur

pikemen7, over a dozen in 15 minutes. If you have fish, I have the morels. Now we need someone with the wine. Where are you staking your claims Bro.?

1 person likes this.
  17. M3Shell

M3Shell Morel Enthusiast

"air temperature is below normal for this time of year. Looks like the week after Mother's Day will fire up"
    I agree the air temp is relatively cool. I hope you're right about the season being late, instead of missing out totally this year.

1 person likes this.
  18. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

I like the way you think, I'd like to join you guys for dinner, but once you've got pike, morels, and wine I don't know what I'd add to cover admission.

2 people like this.
  19. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

We all talk about seasonal indicators that it's about to start, can't remember which forum, but someone said they had an asparagus that told them they were a week late. Nothing worse than a rotten mother load. I'm about 50 miles due north of Indianapolis and we're at tail end of season. Here's some indicators you slept in too long:
    1) red buds have leaves
    2) tulip trees have dropped their blossoms
    3) tulips are just stems
    4) lilac flowers are browning up
    See all these in combination you'd better know your northern bottoms pretty well or you have a year to wait.

1 person likes this.
  20. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

My steak and eggs this morning. Missing morels. I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a morel today. Sorry I'm not gonna win any culinary awards for my plating abilities. 20190511_090457.jpg

3 people like this.