2019 Wisconsin Morel Season

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by avngal, Jan 23, 2019.

1. rookiemistake19

rookiemistake19 Morel Connoisseur

You bet! Thanks to you I had some spares at the ready when my 3 oatmeal containers were topped.

2 people like this.
  2. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Oatmeal containers? Pics please, and why?

1 person likes this.

3. twisted minds

twisted minds Morel Connoisseur

20190515_181803.jpg
    I just hate it when I forget to take a steak out of the freezer before I go to work in the morning. Guess I just have to settle for morels, ramps, and wild asparagus tonight.

4. M3Shell

M3Shell Morel Enthusiast

Nice catch rookie!

I'm a real rookie (2nd year hunting). I have a question for the experienced hunters: did I screw up my hunting spot last year, by harvesting all of the morels I saw? I'll asking, because I found a couple dozen near one elm on my property last year, made sure to use a mesh bag, and only see one, measly small morel under the same tree this year! I'm pretty bummed, since I had as many ticks crawling on me.

1 person likes this.
  5. twisted minds

Nope, that's not how morels work. They are a fruiting body whose sole purpose is to distribute spores to hopefully land on a new host tree/plant. Sometimes you get a good flush when the host tree is dying or in distress, sometimes multiple years, sometimes a one year only deal. You can't over harvest an area. They don't seed or grow back as far as all the experts who study them say.

2 people like this.
  6. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

No harm done, harvest all you need & can use. It has no effect on your mycelium production. The tree I find usually only fruit for about two/three years with diminishing returns as it dies off.

7. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I've never found a haul like that, but if I did I'd take my t-shirt off, put a knot in the waist and the sleeves, and start stuffing morels down the neck! If that still wasn't enough, I'd hike out, stash the morels in the cooler, and hike back in! Get 'em while you can! Nature's bounty.

1 person likes this.
  8. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

I feel so sorry for you. Trade you a steak for the ramps and wild asparagus.

2 people like this.
  9. Shroomtrooper 1

Awesome, start him early. I still remember the time I took my son out, I had the fever, lectured him on being aware, don't look too fast, ok you ready to go? He nodded, I turn and stepped into the woods, I see one he says, where I say? You stepped on it, I looked down and there was this huge yellow in some tall grass, stepped on it, I said, I'm lucky I didn't trip over it. Told him I was proud of him, he smiled. I still remember that.

1 person likes this.
  10. twisted minds

Deal, ha ha! I'm actually going up by Winona tomorrow for work. If you were visiting your son at college, I'd be glad to share you some of the bounty. Ramps are growing nicely, asparagus is just starting to put up shoots in the ditches I harvest.

1 person likes this.
  11. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

Morels just starting in Eau Claire county. An inch a day, in the month I say. Do you think the morels will listen?

2 people like this.
  12. Shroomtrooper 1

That is very nice of you, I sure would like to meet you. My son is moving to another place in Winona today, driving back tonight. I never harvested wild asparagus, I see some plants on a trail by my house but never found any in spring(have not really looked). He is done with finals, and I might hit cannon falls tomorrow, best of luck twisted minds, and everybody.

1 person likes this.
  13. Shroomtrooper 1

Damm, I have to blanch some ramps I forgot, still in fridge, thanks twisted minds.

14. M3Shell

M3Shell Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I am just surprised, since it seems like the elm the harvest was under is only about 25% dead. This heavily wooded area has a number of rooms though, perhaps I'm looking at the wrong one.
    Thanks again fellas!

15. M3Shell

M3Shell Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. See reasoning above (I guess I haven't figured out how to multi-quote yet).

16. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

OK we got some rain this morning with thunder and lightning. The rain will help along with warm weather. My question today is: Does lightning induced nitrogen effect the morel crop? TIA

17. noob hunter

noob hunter Young Morel

Found about a pound under a recently dead elm in a very sunny part of yard, while cutting the grass. Mostly blacks, with a few yellows mixed in. Haven't seen that before. Many more, just starting to pop in same area. Hope they grow before they dry out. Time to hit the woods! Western Waukesha county.

1 person likes this.
  18. noob hunter

noob hunter Young Morel

Found about a pound under a recently dead elm in a very sunny part of yard while cutting the grass in western Waukesha county. Many more small ones. hope they grow before they dry out. Time to hit the woods!

19. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

To others no, to you I'm sure they're all ears. We'll start calling you the morel whisper.

20. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Nothing better than your own private morel patch. Take pictures to track growth as they will double in size in a week. I picked just under 5 lbs. in my yard this year. Figure the value of my home went up $5,000.

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.